Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Iron Danger - tactical combat RPG with simultaneous turns and time manipulation

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Harthwain

Magister
They are trying a bit too hard to sound epic, instead of focusing a lot more on how they key feature works, but that alone sounds interesting enough for me to keep an eye on this one.

From what they are focusing on in this trailer this looks more like a puzzle game than an rpg.
I think it's less a puzzle and more a tactics game. It offers a different angle than Frozen Synapse though. In Frozen Synapse it was all about planning and hoping the final outcome of a plan will be good enough for you so you can plan next step. Here it's more about fixing your screw-ups and/or making use of missed opportunities thanks to your ability to go back in time and doing something different (which is not too different of a principle from the one that Prince of Persia: Sands of Time had).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I was mildly interested but 2 characters ? I thought we would control a dozen at least.
Rewind to do the same shit all over again go right instead of left ...

Wow, that's really NOT impressive.
I think i'll pass on this one as well ...

Codex Year of the Donut
Infinitron I see nothing that makes this an RPG by combatfag, gameplayfag, or storyfag definition. There's no character building, there doesn't seem to be any C&C, there's not even equipment. If this does exist then they're really hiding it because I've skimmed all the available material.
You can rewind time up to 5 seconds trying different strategies until you find the right one for the task at hand
How do you describe that beyond 'puzzle'?

Silly Germans

I think older games already had that time travel mechanics, it was
called "Quicksave" and "Quickload".

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm sure Finnish Folklore is all about lush forests and Mediterranean flora.

Too much internet for me today ...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a good time for people interested in unusual "simultaneous turns"-style combat systems - Broken Lines and now this.

It's a good time for people interested in unusual "simultaneous turns"-style combat systems - Broken Lines and now this.

The system looks like it might be very elegant. My only concern is that it may lead to strange situations where you may have your character perform extraneous movement/actions simply to keep time advancing. For example, if you've CC'ed and enemy while also employing a "damage over time" effect. Do you have to march your character in circles or some other needless movement to advance that damage effect? There are conceivably situations where moving around might be harmful.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamcommunity.com/id/lfpg/recommended/899310/
It's like if Superhot was a TRPG game...

The game features a very interesting 'time shifting' mechanic whereby you can rewind time in battle by a certain amount... and it's honestly something that I've never seen before outside of Superhot... You also have a 'talent tree' of sorts, although one huge let-down in the game is that you don't have equipment or an inventory, so you can't change your character's equipment at all (because your characters doesn't even HAVE any equipment to change). Do you want to fight with a 2hander sword instead of a shield and hammer? NOPE! You can't change nuttin!

I enjoy the game, though I feel that €30 is too much for this game. It provides too little actual content, I mean sure you can complete the game in 20hrs-ish which is pretty respectable, but the ACTUAL CONTENT of the game is lacking ie. you can't level up, or equip items, or customize your appearance, or create different 'builds' for your party. The game only really allows you to select a 'talent' or skill at the end of each mission, and that's it really. That's really the only input that you as a player has wrt. how your character progresses... and I'm sorry but that's extremely lacking for a TRPG... just look at 'Divinity Original Sin' or 'XCOM' or 'Pillars of Eternity'... all of those games allow you to radically change each one of your characters to fit your own playstyle and taste... yet this game doesn't allow you to change hardly anything.

If this game was still in 'early access' or 'beta' then I would have given it a 'recommended' simply because there would have been the possibility that many of the game's core features (like maybe an equipment system) would still be missing, however since this game is currently in full-release, I simply can't recommend it at the current price point, because there's simply other better TRPG games out there, that cost the same or less than this game does, with more features and more content. I want to emphasize that it's not a bad game by any stretch, but it's not in the same league as other TRPG games at this price point.
move this to general gaming already

Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamcommunity.com/id/lfpg/recommended/899310/
It's like if Superhot was a TRPG game...

The game features a very interesting 'time shifting' mechanic whereby you can rewind time in battle by a certain amount... and it's honestly something that I've never seen before outside of Superhot... You also have a 'talent tree' of sorts, although one huge let-down in the game is that you don't have equipment or an inventory, so you can't change your character's equipment at all (because your characters doesn't even HAVE any equipment to change). Do you want to fight with a 2hander sword instead of a shield and hammer? NOPE! You can't change nuttin!

I enjoy the game, though I feel that €30 is too much for this game. It provides too little actual content, I mean sure you can complete the game in 20hrs-ish which is pretty respectable, but the ACTUAL CONTENT of the game is lacking ie. you can't level up, or equip items, or customize your appearance, or create different 'builds' for your party. The game only really allows you to select a 'talent' or skill at the end of each mission, and that's it really. That's really the only input that you as a player has wrt. how your character progresses... and I'm sorry but that's extremely lacking for a TRPG... just look at 'Divinity Original Sin' or 'XCOM' or 'Pillars of Eternity'... all of those games allow you to radically change each one of your characters to fit your own playstyle and taste... yet this game doesn't allow you to change hardly anything.

If this game was still in 'early access' or 'beta' then I would have given it a 'recommended' simply because there would have been the possibility that many of the game's core features (like maybe an equipment system) would still be missing, however since this game is currently in full-release, I simply can't recommend it at the current price point, because there's simply other better TRPG games out there, that cost the same or less than this game does, with more features and more content. I want to emphasize that it's not a bad game by any stretch, but it's not in the same league as other TRPG games at this price point.
move this to general gaming already
5aS1uJe.png

Zyondyne

Learned
Is the game terribly optimized or is my potato laptop drawing its last breath?

Not like those are mutually exclusive, but...

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Don't know why I added this to my wishlist forever ago. Maybe because it looked isometric. This time reverse shit can GTFO. Fuck this. Removing and restarting Avernum 4 again.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I played the game for a few hours and it is a fun combat puzzle game. Tho it does lack anything else,if it had some loot and weapon upgrade mechanics,it would have been a lot better game. It has only upgrade of active skills and that is it. The whole point of the game is combat,the reward of it is more combat. Which really fucking good,it is highly enjoyable to combo an enemy. Would recommend trying it out,it is a good combat game. I had some pretty cool battles with 10ish bandits and one with the first boss, a giant bird that took me 30 minutes to kill. A negative part is that you can't upgrade your weapons(for now),so you end up doing the same damage but the enemy's hit points rise,thus combat becoming longer and more tedious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom