Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Chris Parker dragging Obsidian down?

1eyedking

Erudite
Also : Alan Parker = Chris Parker reference? His job is to be the behind-the-scenes "janitor"? He orchestrated the events that led to the closure of the 'agency'? Alpha Protocol = Obsidian? Previous iterations of the program being Dragonplay/Black Isle? Halbech is the modern-day videogame industry? Michael Thorton = Chris Avellone = C&C-driven hero? Steven Heck = RPG Codex = that crazy, psychopathic "friend" you want to have on your side but only on occasion?

DISCUSS!!

Angthoron

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Volourn said:
Plus, he's an owner. He's most certainly has a say.
Yes, of course, but to the point where he designed 'various shitty systems' and imposed them on the designer staff?

Simple version:

Manager, walking in: Dudes, did you get the design for the hacking system I requested two months ago?

Designers: Eh. We have no idea what to do, Bethesda did a nice job, but if we do something too similar we'll be accused of stealing it, especially since we're also working on NV now.

Manager: Well, bros, how about we do this whole matching thing but all the stuff moves and it's even more like a memory game?

Designers: Can't we just leave it out and make skill checks?

Manager: *points at design document*

Designers: Well shit.

Unknown Employee: Manager fucked it up.

Codex: :rage:

1eyedking

Erudite
Pretty much. Still sounds like a thing Skyway would write to make Obsidian look bad and unprofessional - no need, my good man, they've already released Alpha Protocol.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
1eyedking said:
Also : Alan Parker = Chris Parker reference? His job is to be the behind-the-scenes "janitor"? He orchestrated the events that led to the closure of the 'agency'? Alpha Protocol = Obsidian? Previous iterations of the program being Dragonplay/Black Isle? Halbech is the modern-day videogame industry? Michael Thorton = Chris Avellone = C&C-driven hero? Steven Heck = RPG Codex = that crazy, psychopathic "friend" you want to have on your side but only on occasion?

DISCUSS!!
:lol: Fuckin A.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Avellone seems like a swell guy in interviews and stuff. I was surprised how bad AP was, with his design philosophy "gameplay first" I was expecting much more polished combat. But it could of course very well be his fault as much as Parker's. Or any other designer/producer involved.

I think the citation is fake though.

hoochimama

Liturgist
I'd just like to know whose idea it was to have an apartment-> mission structure.

denizsi

Arcane
1eyedking said:

DISCUSS!!

Nice. In response, I'll just leave this screenshot here:

1zz3qt5.jpg

Roguey said:
Funny that he said AP should have been cancelled instead of Aliens because Avellone said its cancellation "ended up being a good thing, overall. And I will take that opinion with me to my grave." Which means it was an even huger mess, and he'd know right? And he has his name attached to that statement and everything.

Possibly. Aliens RPG tech demo was utter shit and probably represented the most up to date state of the project, ie. utter shit. The devs that came here and talked about how it was turning out pretty good were probably romanticising it bona fide and coming from Obsidianites and judging from their latest product, it wouldn't be a surprise.

Meh, I genuinely enjoyed AP. Mnd you, I enjoyed it in the sense of 'played all the old good games to death 10 years ago, and replayed all of them about 3 times over in the decade since them, so needed to buy something new'. I enjoyed it a fuckload more than MA or DA.

Maybe the company is capable of more? It certainly talks like it wants to be capable of more. But keep in mind that the stuff that they got slammed for was the traditional crpg stuff - stats mattering to combat and being unable to go headshot crazy wiith an assault rifle despite having no points in that skill. They were praised for things like cinematic C+C and the tmied dialogue system. Doens't speak wonders for there being any likelihood of better games in the future

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Lockkaliber said:
I think MCA mentioned a couple of times that Chris Parker was the one that came up with the idea for a spy RPG

too bad they decided not to make one.

denizsi

Arcane
Without any sarcasm, Hidden & Dangerous 2 is a miles and miles better spy RPG than AP.

Okay, you know what? Fuck Obsidian. AP was a steaming pile of mediocrity. If the excuse for shitty mechanics in one of these hybrid rpgs is always "Well, I mean, it's not like it's a *real* stealth game" then fuck off. If your excuse is always "because it's an RPG first", then just make an RPG. When is the last time a decent sized developer has released a non-hybrid RPG? Was it ToEE?

Fuck, I'm angry right now.

deshields538

Scholar
1eyedking said:

DISCUSS!!

:lol:

Twice as funny for me because the first email I got from Heck included ranting about zionists and other crazy bullshit. First thing I thought on reading it was "lol, this is just like something you'd see on RPG Codex General Discussion." :lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
So blaming publishers for a yet another Obsidian team effort failure isn't cool anymore?

Parker alone certainly can't be responsible for all of the AP being crappy - from combat, non-existent character development to atrocious anime characters and terrible level design. Considering that Avellone was the one in charge of the design and it was him who decided to scratch Mitsoda's effort totally and... we can see the result.

Looks like a yet another proof that good writing in PS:T depended more on Planescape setting creative designer than on Avellone.

Destroid

Arcane
A couple of my friends work at a local game studio, the producers there have a massive influence on the games. Greater than any other individual.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Lockkaliber said:
I think MCA mentioned a couple of times that Chris Parker was the one that came up with the idea for a spy RPG over lunch or something. Perhaps they let him have his way with the project because it was his idea?

Disregarding that though, I think it's far more plausible that the letter stems from butthurt over being fired.
Who said the guy was fired? He was probably just letting off some steam because he was so pissed about how AP turned out. And there really isn't any information in that post specific enough to incriminate one person.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Jaedar said:
mondblut said:
Zed said:
Avellone... with his design philosophy "gameplay first"

LOLWUT? Wasn't he the one who made PST?
Yeah, pretty sure its Sawyer who is "gameplay first".
My mistake. Avellone was "gamesystem" first.
At least so he says in that video interview from a few days ago.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Yes, of course, but to the point where he designed 'various shitty systems' and imposed them on the designer staff?"

What part of owner don't you fuckin' get? He tells you whjat tod you, and you fuckin' do it or get fuckin' fire. FFS

Only people he has to convince are his co owners. FFS

Issues can be ironed out if they make a sequel, hell if they release some patches. No point in blaming people unless they make something of far better technical quality because as much as I enjoy Alpha Protocol there are issues with the game, without a doubt.

1eyedking

Erudite
Zed said:
Jaedar said:
mondblut said:
Zed said:
Avellone... with his design philosophy "gameplay first"

LOLWUT? Wasn't he the one who made PST?
Yeah, pretty sure its Sawyer who is "gameplay first".
My mistake. Avellone was "gamesystem" first.
At least so he says in that video interview from a few days ago.
:facepalm:

Your sarcasm detector needs some serious calibration.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Yes, of course, but to the point where he designed 'various shitty systems' and imposed them on the designer staff?"

What part of owner don't you fuckin' get? He tells you whjat tod you, and you fuckin' do it or get fuckin' fire. FFS

Only people he has to convince are his co owners. FFS

Chris Avellone is a co-owner. He is also a lead designer of AP.
Besides where was the BAAAAWWW before the release of AP? Everyone they took interview from was telling about how awesome AP is. And now that it tanked suddenly it's shit?
Obsidian is pathetic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom