Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Deadfire the best looking beautiful isometric RPG?

ortucis

Prophet
Deadfire does indeed like nice and the background animations have come ahead in leaps and bounds, although I still feel for pure atmosphere the original Icewind Dale might be ahead.

Yes. No isometric game has ever managed to recreate the atmosphere of the original Icewind Dale for me. It is like Witcher 3, games like these is like losing your virginity, there is pre-losing it and after-losing it. After playing Witcher 3 you can't go back to other AAA shit, and after experiencing the atmosphere of Icewind Dale you just can't get immersed into other isometric shit.

Not "AAA" but I played ELEX after Witcher 3, ELEX had more hand-crafted feel and I enjoyed exploring the world more compared to Witcher. :smug:

Bocian

Arcane
. The pre-rendered assets just look much more organic IMO.
On stills maybe,physically implausible hard shadows pretty much ruin it and 3d characters feel detached without blending in. Could use some sort of new lighting process and environment should be descripted instead of pre rendering entirely.

planescape-torment-enhanced-edition-0018.jpg

... or how to make characters look like stickers stuck on the background.
My God, this UI really is atrocious.

Same here, watching the "EE" screen made me puke, by the way, this dog modder has to be put down, quick.
Ghostdog, the modder, or Beamdog the company? :troll:

2house2fly

Magister
I am so sad most idiots falsely believe it was a cash grab spinoff and inferior to the vastly overrated BG2... In reality Icewind Dale had more soul than BG2 ever hoped to have. BG2 was your typical AAA sequel.
to be fair, one of the people who believes that is Chris Avellone, who worked on it

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Never bothered with PoEII. TWM was vastly superior to the base game in PoE, but it's not IWD good. Not even just for the atmosphere/presentation.

The screenshots of Deadfire look nice for sure though, but I still don't get the sense of coherent RPG adventure like I do from other RPGs. Even the colourful stuff seems.. murky? Maybe it's the plodding dullness of PoE rubbed off on me, but there just seems to be something missing.

Quillon

Arcane
I am so sad most idiots falsely believe it was a cash grab spinoff and inferior to the vastly overrated BG2... In reality Icewind Dale had more soul than BG2 ever hoped to have. BG2 was your typical AAA sequel.
to be fair, one of the people who believes that is Chris Avellone, who worked on it

Does it matter? He will shit on anything - even remotely related to Obsidian(except for Indiana it seems), even if he has worked on it. And he'll say nothing but good things about Obs' competitors and their work.

Darkforge

Augur
Divinity Original Sin 2 looks better than POE II Simply because you can play DOS2 in Nvidias 3dvision with the community fix and if you haven't seen it it's god damned mind blowing. Really makes the game look like a tabletop game come to life. Art style wise I would give the nod to POE II though

The Real Fanboy

Does it matter? He will shit on anything - even remotely related to Obsidian(except for Indiana it seems), even if he has worked on it. And he'll say nothing but good things about Obs' competitors and their work.

does this mean chris is going to work exclusively with Sony from now on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom