Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is divinity 2 ego draconis worth playing?

Tigranes

Arcane
Honestly, sounds like it would have been way too long, a massive slog, with tacked on additional gameplay systems which is always a development nightmare. Not sure the game would have been better with any of that.

Falksi

Arcane
As many have said YES.

It's a fucking brilliant game if you get your character setup nicely. Personally I loved playing as a battle-mage - charge into combat, circle of fire spell (whatver it's called), and then beat the shit out of them with a mace.

The humour & narration is awesome, the mind-reading cool, the music quality & the vibe of the whole thing magic.

Rough around the edges & some shite combat skills (I thought Archer was awful) but there's such a great game in there it's worth persisting with until you find your setup.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Honestly, sounds like it would have been way too long, a massive slog, with tacked on additional gameplay systems which is always a development nightmare. Not sure the game would have been better with any of that.

Possibly, but it's still tragic considering how much was already done. In the directors cut video, one of the map designers said he broke down and started crying in the office because he lost 6 months of work.

They did end up turning the planned RTS section into a full game anyways, i.e Dragon Commander.

Yes, it's a cool action RPG with solid exploration, cool music and humor that actually manages to work, unlike D:OS. I recommend going for archer with few priest skills mixed in for first time. And be sure to mindread everyone, don't worry about XP cost.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

Possibly, but it's still tragic considering how much was already done. In the directors cut video, one of the map designers said he broke down and started crying in the office because he lost 6 months of work.

They did end up turning the planned RTS section into a full game anyways, i.e Dragon Commander.

Yeah, I sympathise. And it always sucks as a creator to have to cut your vision down. Still, I thought Dragon Commander itself was an awful game - I mean that tried to combine three or four different gameplay systems, all of which were so mediocre as a result. I guess it's a good thing that, as incredibly ambitious as DOS1/2 are, they still know what they need to be - a coherent and relatively unique RPG.

DraQ

Arcane

Yeah, I sympathise. And it always sucks as a creator to have to cut your vision down. Still, I thought Dragon Commander itself was an awful game - I mean that tried to combine three or four different gameplay systems, all of which were so mediocre as a result. I guess it's a good thing that, as incredibly ambitious as DOS1/2 are, they still know what they need to be - a coherent and relatively unique RPG.
Now throw away mediocre, placeholder-quality systems and content and substitute them with Divinity 2.
Seems better, no?

Frozen

Arcane
Its a great game from times past when Kirill was alive and they had great music in games not generic trash like now.

deama

Prophet
It's an Ok game, I'd say play it if you don't have much to do.
I remember getting really pissed at how they handled the dragon portions, apparentely ground units disappear when you transform? And flying units disappear when you transform back into a human lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The game was....ok,not very memorable. All that i remember was that you could fly,valley filled with poison gas and a lot of rape content. Also mind reading was interesting system. Give it a try if you have nothing better to play.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
It still is. The quests are good, the writing funny and the game is FUN. You can play two quests and feel better about yourself. Give it a try.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I thought it was a decent ARPG. My usual past time of exploration was well catered for, if I remember correctly. There is an unofficial patch to allow invert Y-axis to work in dragon form, which I can upload if you want it.

Gord

Arcane
Still, I thought Dragon Commander itself was an awful game - I mean that tried to combine three or four different gameplay systems, all of which were so mediocre as a result. I guess it's a good thing that, as incredibly ambitious as DOS1/2 are, they still know what they need to be - a coherent and relatively unique RPG.

I think they stated afterwards that they basically had to rush DC out of the door to do DOS1, since they couldn't afford developing both. Somewhat sad, since DC had a few interesting concepts. They just never managed to turn it into a really good game. Probably no wonder, though, considering the hodge-podge of different genres and ideas that DC was.

Tigranes

Arcane
The very idea of doing something like DC as a side project, I think, was doomed to failure from the very start. I hope at least they slamdunked some profit out of that.

Murk

Arcane
Yeah, it's popamole, but it's fun and there's actually multiple solutions to many problems. The DLC is better and much more focused.

There's also a lot of sort of alternate play modes. Platforming, doing dives as a dragon, the quests you can solve through some investigation + conversation. Overall, it manages to outshine the lowly title of "action rpg", similar to but in a different way than DivDiv1 did.

Don't get suckered into the 'more xp gained' wisdom perk. Because of the way xp scaling works.

Falksi

Arcane
After seeing this thread t'other day I decided to dust it off and give it another blast.

Still fucking brilliant. Having loads of fun with it, and forgot - for an action RPG - that a fair bit of thought is required for some of the quests & puzzles.

Great humour, fun combat, wonderful atmosphere, interesting quests etc. Can't believe how well it's held up after nearly 10 years. Cracking stuff.

Citizen

Ughhh, are there any fixes for the terrible "choppy-ness" of camera movement and physics based animations? The game performs terrible even when it generates stable FPS, the closest I got to normal was by limiting FPS to 30 with videocard driver menu. It's still pretty terrible :negative:

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Bae.
love.png

Smoker

Scholar
Man I kinda wanna replay this with skills unlocked. The endgame and dlc was fun as hell.

Citizen

Ughhh, are there any fixes for the terrible "choppy-ness" of camera movement and physics based animations? The game performs terrible even when it generates stable FPS, the closest I got to normal was by limiting FPS to 30 with videocard driver menu. It's still pretty terrible :negative:

After hours of twerking the settings around I stumbled upon working combination: unlocked FPS in game and nvidia driver settings, used multicore rendering option in game and limit the amout of pre-rendered frames in driver settings ("low delay" option set to ultra). Maybe that would help some nvidia users

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom