Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Freespace 2 any good?

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm looking for a decent space sim to play after finishing Space Rangers 2. Everywhere i look, this game pops up and is praised by all. For graphics whores it supposedly has a fanmade engine update out. The game seems to be available on GOG. So is it actually worth it?

Quilty

Magister
One of my favourite games and definitely one of the best space sims out there. Try the fan update, it comes with a great graphical update (even though I personally prefer the old blocky look, I dunno why) along with several fan-made campaigns.

fractal

Novice
Definitely recommended. SCP 3.6.10 makes a huge difference in graphics (bump maps, redone ship models, shader effects, etc).

The fan-made campaigns I tried (two of them) were disappointing, but there is a remake of the official Silent Threat FS1 add-on - "Silent Threat: Reborn". It is very well made (even the voice-overs) and doesn't require FS1 or the add-on. Recommended.

MetalCraze

Arcane
There is a port of FS1 and it's addon for FS2 SCP actually.
Needless to say that you must play with SCP as the game with it looks quite good and all those new explosion effects are pretty impressive.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Freespace 2 is pretty much the best space sim I've played.
Needless to say that you must play with SCP as the game with it looks quite good and all those new explosion effects are pretty impressive.
The 1337 facade breaks and we see you're a shit loving graphics whore after all.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is AWESOME!!!

It has the right mix of pretty battles, interesting story and INTENSE action.

JrK

Prophet
I found it dissappointing. It just didn't have the spark X-Wing or X-Wind Alliance had. Maybe it had to do with the missions that I found way too easy. I can't remember the main campaign taking so long.

MetalCraze

Arcane
FS2 is loved because it is a graphics whore's delight of epic proportions with simple but addictive gameplay (if it catches you - think f.e. Red Alert). Huge ships, their battles with other huge ships with lots of beams, the biggest amount of special effects and explosions in one square meter - that was it. As well as simple plot which however was good at making you understand that this is an uphill battle and you will lose anyway - in contrast to the usual "superhero saves the galaxy".

CrimsonAngel said:
It is AWESOME!!!

and INTENSE action.

hot-coffee-controversy_52.jpg

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
MetalCraze said:
FS2 is loved because it is a graphics whore's delight of epic proportions with simple but addictive gameplay (if it catches you - think f.e. Red Alert). Huge ships, their battles with other huge ships with lots of beams, the biggest amount of special effects and explosions in one square meter - that was it. As well as simple plot which however was good at making you understand that this is an uphill battle and you will lose anyway - in contrast to the usual "superhero saves the galaxy".

Very wordy. Did you like it or not?

NiM82

Prophet
Satori said:
How does it compare to Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos?

No comparison really, once you've played Edge of Chaos everything else feels pretty meh (at least control wise). FS2 is more old school, like X-Wing or whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom