Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is inXile better than Fagsidian? Do they make better games? Is WL2 less brain damaging than PoE?

Delbaeth

Learned
So this is the Codex™ way of Biodrones vs Bethestards?

Panem et circenses.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Despite the provocative topic, I'll bite.
For me Pillars of Eternity with White March is the best combat-oriented RTwP game. And second best in general, after Planescape: Torment.
Although it doesn't have the moddability and flexibility of NWN.

The story is rather stale and the pacing is off. But the systems are excellent and a huge improvement over the old IE games.
You complain about class balance. I suggest you actually play the game (on PotD, like a man). All classes are pretty awesome. Well, Rogue is a bit too squishy for my taste, but can pump damage like nobody's business. And Monks? One of the top melee classes? Probably OP rather then weak. Ciphers are sure great, but their usefulness is somewhat limited at PotD, when they have much greater difficulties penetrating enemy defenses with their moderate accuracy. Still great, mind you, but not a top-tier class.

Meanwhile Wasteland was supposed to be a squad based tactical game - and fails horribly. When the first Fallouts have more complex and interesting combat, something went very wrong. Stats are very unbalanced and entirely disconnected from redundant trash skills.
And don't get me started on looting/itemization. MMO-grade power creep with weapon tiers, with the better versions 30x better then the beginner ones. The same goes for skill difficulty checks - they don't follow any sense or reason (such as easy checks in a cave, difficult in a secure military bunker), but rather sharply increase as you progress, regardless of logic. And with the before mentioned 20% chance to succeed at max ranks in some places (once more, attributes don't matter and provide no bonuses). Save scum central.
And last, but not least, the location of the loot. Was it raining locked & booby trapped safes & boxes in Arizona? Cause you can't walk 10 m without tripping on one. They are scattered everywhere, in the most illogical places.

For me PoE is a solid 9/10, Wasteland maybe 6/10 (just cause it's turn based and I like the atmosphere and the graphics).

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
That said, I suspect even the world-building skills of inXile are noticeably ahead of the SJW HQ at neo-Obsidian.
:hmmm:

inXile is far more indoctrinated than Obsidian.
plebs clicking citation needed on this post never saw Cuckin McCuck twitter timeine.
McCuck this or McCuck that, new men era this, new men era that, at least they didnt fucking shit all over a costumer to bow to the wishes of an SJW that wanted his 15 minutes of fame. They are both shit, but what obsidian did is amoral and i really hope it burns to the ground for it. Not like it would matter, i honestly believe nothing they make will be worth playing.

PS: Your shilling of obsi-sawyer and/or hatred of ineptile is getting old.

Lhynn

Arcane
Oh shit, i have to adress this garbage, so many lies.

Go eat a dick

For me Pillars of Eternity with White March is the best combat-oriented RTwP game.
Yeah, not the most retarded opinion around, but pretty close.

And second best in general, after Planescape: Torment.
What the fuck are you talking about, planescape isnt combat oriented, and the combat in that game is garbage anyway. What kind of standards are those?

NWN shits all over PoE in terms of system design, and in 2017 you can get more mileage out of a nwn copy with access to internet than you ever will from poe.

The story is rather stale and the pacing is off.
No it isnt, the story is not fucking stale, its just fucking dull. Also im not too sure what you mean by "stale", we havent had that many games about relieving a past life and the meaning of religions as some of the main themes. The basic premise could have been interesting and it is fairly original compared to "ancient evil" shit. But the problem is that its fucking shittily written, its not worth reading, the writing doesnt work, its broken, it fails at the most basic level of what video game writing should accomplish.

But the systems are excellent
They fucking arent, its just a d100 with modifiers everywhere and DR for good measure. Its boring, its predictable and its not enjoyable, there is nothing in this system from which you can derive an ounce of entertainment. Theres nothing to it, no nuance, nothing interesting to interact with. Its restrictive and gamey and feels like shit.

and a huge improvement over the old IE games.
It fucking isnt, this game wishes it had something like AD&D to latch on to.

You complain about class balance.
I dont think anybody gives a flying fuck.

I suggest you actually play the game (on PotD, like a man).
Big strong badassman over here :lol:, PotD is easy as fuck, its just number bloat.

All classes are pretty awesome.
Not really, no, paladins and fighters are so boring you could die of boredom watching them. Ciphers, possibly the only setting relevant class in the whole fucking game (and how fucking pathetic that is) is kinda neat, intelligence barbarians are nice, if gamey and retarded as a concept. Mages are shit, spells duration is measured in seconds and usually by the time you cast your second spell the fight is over, even on potd with the enemy defense bloat not to mention that you cant cast 90% of your spells, druids and clerics are just wizards with another flavor, chanters are pretty retarded but at least their class mechanic fits their ethos. Monks remind me of this asian bootleg movie where there was this shaolin monk that went around hitting people fists with his face, its one of the single most retarded ideas for a class i have ever seen, they are, however, decent fun.

Well, Rogue is a bit too squishy for my taste, but can pump damage like nobody's business. And Monks? One of the top melee classes? Probably OP rather then weak. Ciphers are sure great, but their usefulness is somewhat limited at PotD, when they have much greater difficulties penetrating enemy defenses with their moderate accuracy. Still great, mind you, but not a top-tier class.
Fuck you.

Meanwhile Wasteland is was supposed to be a squad based tactical game - and fails horribly.
No, it doesnt, combat is fairly decent, and there are a few encounters that are memorable. I distinctly remember one encounter in a farm where all the workers are working and you are fighting the guards, it made for a great fight, specially because i started the encounter at the heart of it and had to play a lot with positioning and advancement of my guys as a unit.

When the first Fallouts have more complex and interesting combat
Except it doesnt.

Stats are very unbalanced and entirely disconnected from redundant trash skills.
:lol: Wait, are you talking about wl2 or poe here?

And don't get me started on looting/itemization. MMO-grade power creep with weapon tiers, with the better versions 30x better then the beginner ones.
:lol: Kinda like fallout.

The same goes for skill difficulty checks - they don't follow any sense or reason (such as easy checks in a cave, difficult in a secure military bunker), but rather sharply increase as you progress, regardless of logic.
Yeah, thats pretty shit, better do what PoE did and do away with checks that matter. no? Tho im not gonna defend wl2 skillchecks, they are shit and waste your time.

And with the before mentioned 20% chance to succeed at max ranks in some places (once more, attributes don't matter and provide no bonuses). Save scum central.
Yep, retarded design choice and them loading times...

And last, but not least, the location of the loot. Was it raining locked & booby trapped safes & boxes in Arizona? Cause you can't walk 10 m without tripping on one.
Ive notices you have gone on a rant about verisimilitude with wl2, but poe is even worse at that shit, you cant cast some spells outside of combat, you cant use some skills until several seconds after it has started, jesus fuck, at the very least there is some kind of logic behind people protecting their shit with booby traps, theres no reason you shouldnt be able to use spells or skills whenever you damn well please.

They are scattered everywhere, in the most illogical places.
Yeah, not like real rpgs, where you only find valuable stuff in the most logical places :lol: what the fuck kinda nitpick is this anyway?

For me PoE is a solid 9/10
To me you are a fanboy and a retard.

Wasteland maybe 6/10
I dont think either game can go above a 4 if you have any sort of standard, but whatever.

just because i like the graphics
:lol::lol::lol: wl2 is quite possibly the ugliest game for its budget i have ever seen. At least on this respect PoE completely shits all over WL2, it may have been dull and generic, but at least it wasnt wasteland 2.

Last edited:

cruelio

Savant

Go eat a dick

For me Pillars of Eternity with White March is the best combat-oriented RTwP game.
Yeah, not the most retarded opinion around, but pretty close.

What the fuck are you talking about, planescape isnt combat oriented, and the combat in that game is garbage anyway. What kind of standards are those?

NWN shits all over PoE in terms of system design, and in 2017 you can get more mileage out of a nwn copy with access to internet than you ever will from poe.

No it isnt, the story is not fucking stale, its just fucking dull. Also im not too sure what you mean by "stale", we havent had that many games about relieving a past life and the meaning of religions as some of the main themes. The basic premise could have been interesting and it is fairly original compared to "ancient evil" shit. But the problem is that its fucking shittily written, its not worth reading, the writing doesnt work, its broken, it fails at the most basic level of what video game writing should accomplish.

They fucking arent, its just a d100 with modifiers everywhere and DR for good measure. Its boring, its predictable and its not enjoyable, there is nothing in this system from which you can derive an ounce of entertainment. Theres nothing to it, no nuance, nothing interesting to interact with. Its restrictive and gamey and feels like shit.

You complain about class balance.
I dont think anybody gives a flying fuck.

Big strong badassman over here :lol:, PotD is easy as fuck, its just number bloat.

Not really, no, paladins and fighters are so boring you could die of boredom watching them. Ciphers, possibly the only setting relevant class in the whole fucking game (and how fucking pathetic that is) is kinda neat, intelligence barbarians are nice, if gamey and retarded as a concept. Mages are shit, spells duration is measured in seconds and usually by the time you cast your second spell the fight is over, even on potd with the enemy defense bloat not to mention that you cant cast 90% of your spells, druids and clerics are just wizards with another flavor, chanters are pretty retarded but at least their class mechanic fits their ethos. Monks remind me of this asian bootleg movie where there was this shaolin monk that went around hitting people fists with his face, its one of the single most retarded ideas for a class i have ever seen, they are, however, decent fun.

Well, Rogue is a bit too squishy for my taste, but can pump damage like nobody's business. And Monks? One of the top melee classes? Probably OP rather then weak. Ciphers are sure great, but their usefulness is somewhat limited at PotD, when they have much greater difficulties penetrating enemy defenses with their moderate accuracy. Still great, mind you, but not a top-tier class.
Fuck you.

Meanwhile Wasteland is was supposed to be a squad based tactical game - and fails horribly.
No, it doesnt, combat is fairly decent, and there are a few encounters that are memorable. I distinctly remember one encounter in a farm where all the workers are working and you are fighting the guards, it made for a great fight, specially because i started the encounter at the heart of it and had to play a lot with positioning and advancement of my guys as a unit.

Except it doesnt.

Stats are very unbalanced and entirely disconnected from redundant trash skills.

And don't get me started on looting/itemization. MMO-grade power creep with weapon tiers, with the better versions 30x better then the beginner ones.

The same goes for skill difficulty checks - they don't follow any sense or reason (such as easy checks in a cave, difficult in a secure military bunker), but rather sharply increase as you progress, regardless of logic.
Yeah, thats pretty shit, better do what PoE did and do away with checks that matter. no? Tho im not gonna defend wl2 skillchecks, they are shit and waste your time.

And with the before mentioned 20% chance to succeed at max ranks in some places (once more, attributes don't matter and provide no bonuses). Save scum central.

And last, but not least, the location of the loot. Was it raining locked & booby trapped safes & boxes in Arizona? Cause you can't walk 10 m without tripping on one.
Ive notices you have gone on a rant about verisimilitude with wl2, but poe is even worse at that shit, you cant cast some spells outside of combat, you cant use some skills until several seconds after it has started, jesus fuck, at the very least there is some kind of logic behind people protecting their shit with booby traps, theres no reason you shouldnt be able to use spells or skills whenever you damn well please.

Yeah, not like real rpgs, where you only find valuable stuff in the most logical places :lol: what the fuck kinda nitpick is this anyway?

Wasteland maybe 6/10
I dont think either game can go above a 4 if you have any sort of standard, but whatever.

:lol::lol::lol: wl2 is quite possibly the ugliest game for its budget i have ever seen. At least on this respect PoE completely shits all over WL2, it may have been dull and generic, but at least it wasnt wasteland 2.

Get help.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
PoE looks nice, while W2 looks and runs like shit.

W2, on the other hand, is more of a game. I guess not being designed by an autist who dislikes fun and computer games has its perks.

I think that W2 wins this particular contest. Both games are rather bad though.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Best combat-oriented. Second-best RTwP in general. PS:T is best, despite not being combat-oriented.

Yes, yes, NWN is awesome. I agree. I played it to death for over 5 years. But viewed in the framework of a single-player campaign, PoE wins. NWN does offer more options, as I have noted.

Okay, stale, dull, whatever. I agree that the themes weren't properly explored. I mentioned pacing, you concentrate on writing. Fair enough.

I have a different opinion. For me it's pretty novel and interesting. Agree to disagree?

Beating PoTD is no achievement. But playing on that difficulty is important to witness and understand the intricacies of the system. To pause and think, rather then just steam-roll everything.
And no, it's NOT "just number bloat". It's also encounter composition and numbers, which is highly modified. Also due to the way stats (and spell defenses) work, giving a few more levels is very meaningful, because suddenly your spells no longer auto-connect and may graze for pitiful duration. Conversely, enemies crit much more.

I even agreed with some of your points, but you really lost me when describing wizards. Who are, as usually, pretty much universally considered the strongest class...

Fuck you.

Why thank you for your kind and constructive critique.

I don't remember anything that was memorable. Or required any thinking outside focus fire - massacre enemy. Okay, there was one bloated raider with a minigun and ungodly No. of APs, at the Rail Nomads I think, who kept killing one character on his first move with high initiative. That was annoying.
Then again, I only managed to suffer trough the game to the end of Arizona.

Except it doesnt.

Well, at least you could actually cripple enemies by using aimed shots. Oh and Perception and lighting mattered for accuracy. Last but not least, it had a critical hit effect chart plus pretty awesome gore with varied visuals depending on weapon type/caliber. It was miles more fun.

You serious? Stats are VERY balanced in PoE. Disconnected from skills? Sure. But at least there are no redundant ones.

Yea, except.... not really. Fallout: 10mm pistol: 5-12, Turboplasma Rifle: 35-70. WL2: M1 AR 7-12 (not that anyone uses it, since better replacements are available nearly immediately, but why put it in the game in the first place), G41 AR: 150-180. So the number inflation is bigger in WL2. Also it is MUCH less jarring in Fallout, as the best pistol does 20-30 and there is a natural progression trough weapon categories, so it makes sense that advanced plasma weaponry will be on a different scale then simplest ballistic arms. One more thing WL2 lost from WL1.

No. It only left the ones with actual gameplay impact. Trap disarming, lock opening and Stealth are no-brainers. Stealth allows to ensure alpha-strikes, rather strong in this game. But then Lore allows to cast spells from scrolls (with potential synergy interactions, such as Rogue Deathblows for big damage or Barbarian Blood Thirst recovery removal on kill). Survival offers very substantial bonuses on resting. Skills do appear in dialogues and in the CYOA sections.

At least we agree somewhere.

Yeah, maybe I did rant a bit on WL2. It's because its systems actively insult my intelligence.
Not using many skills/spells outside combat in PoE is a matter of :balance:. I'm willing to live with it, if it will improve the challenge (can't always start combat with Hit & Crit buffs, when you see enemies who can confuse/dominate/otherwise screw you party) and reduce the buffing tedium. And no, I'm not familiar with any skills/spells you can't use the moment the combat starts (can set pause on combat start). Unless maybe Monk skills, which require wounds.

It's a legitimate concern. Most games tend to make at least a minimum effort for the loot containers to blend with the surroundings/fit in/make at least SOME sense in the area design context. I've never seen such lazy design before.

Okay.

Wasteland maybe 6/10

Hm, maybe WL2 should be rated 4, but I was feeling generous and was influenced by industry-standard rating practices.

Yeah, it's nothing to write home about. But I do not have high expectations from the genre. The graphics were perfectly serviceable for me (if inferior to PoE, like you admitted).
I didn't even mind the graphics in MMX. If only WL2 was hiding a decent game under this serviceable facade.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Joke: Josh Sawyer is a HIPSTER CUCK who made an unfun game on purpose because of an autistic ideological devotion to Perfect Balance.

Woke: Josh Sawyer is one of the industries' few serious RPG designers, who made a valiant effort to create a highly complex system from scratch and fulfilled all of his promises, but had to be cautious and conservative about his priorities.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I managed to finish PoE, once at release. I have been thinking about trying it again for years now, even installed it again after the last patch hit but I could not force myself to do it. The mere thought of going again through that combination of boring combat and bad writing and that terrible trial... oh god!

WL2 I tried playing in beta, I was somewhat disappointed. Hoped the game would be better at release but it wasn't, only it ran better. At release I did first few areas and then did Rail Nomads that I never finished.
Then I waited for patches and more patches and then for the overhaul that never came and then that overhaul turned into DC and then for patches after DC released. When I ran it again, it was a bit improved. I managed to do to some more areas, then went into Rail Nomads again and never finished it again and quit the game again :D

GrainWetski

Arcane
InXile is everything that's wrong with the gaming industry in one grrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaat company. Can't say the same for Obsidian.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dungeon Siege III: made me contemplate suicide
South Park: was fun
Pillars of Eternity: was not fun
Tyranny: was not fun

Wasteland 2: was fun once or twice
Torment: was not fun

Toss a coin.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pillars of Eternity with White March is the best combat-oriented RTwP game.
the systems are excellent

OaOEkas.gif

There is nothing manly about POTD you cuck, you just pick 6 Moonlike barbarians, open options menu, switch to real-time, go faceroll everything

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Wasteland 2: was fun once or twice
Pillars of Eternity: was not fun
Tyranny: was not fun
PoE looks nice, while W2 looks like shit.

W2, on the other hand, is more of a game. I guess not being designed by an autist who dislikes fun and computer games has its perks

Wasteland 2 kept me going for longer.

That's the exact difference, you can actually have fun with WL2 once.

In this para-Olympics clearly PoE wins... the story is shittier, the systems are shittier, C&C is nonexistent

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
There is nothing manly about POTD you cuck, you just pick 6 Moonlike barbarians, open options menu, switch to real-time, go faceroll everything

Good luck with that. Enjoy your own Barbarians killing each other under Confuse/Charm/Dominate effects and/or ripped to shreds under Paralysis/Petrification/Stun.
Not to mention they will not reliably hit some of the tougher enemies without buffs/debuffs. Actually they won't hit the broad side of a barn after they eat some debuffs themselves.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Swap 1 Barb for 1 Moon priest then. 10/10 balance 10/10 system design
:balance:

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Josh Sawyer is a HIPSTER CUCK who made an unfun game because of an autistic ideological devotion to Perfect Balance.

Sounds about right 10/10

Josh Sawyer is one of the industries' few serious RPG designers, who made a valiant effort to create a highly complex system

eat horseshit, shill

bet you enjoy riding his pecker dick.... if you shill more maybe he'll let you ride a bike with him one day, ya faggit

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Swap 1 Barb for 1 Moon priest then. 10/10 balance 10/10 system design
:balance:

Not optimal, but would work I guess. I'd probably rather have 5 Rangers for autopilot though.
Regardless...
I'm sure a 6-man Assault Rifle team in WL2 will face great difficulty...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Its worse in PoE because half of the classes/races are shit tier... whereas despite assault rifles being god-tier, alternatives are still decent

How ironic for a "balanced" game :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Its worse in PoE because half of the classes/races are shit tier... whereas despite assault rifles being god-tier, alternatives are still decent

How ironic for a "balanced" game :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Uhm... list me those shit tier classes/races please.
I don't think there are many. Only some do better on auto-pilot, other are more micro-heavy. But I don't remember any "shit tier" ones.
As for races... yeah, I guess Mountain Dwarves are very situational (lots of enemies who deal nasty status effects, such as paralysis, via poison in the Expansions, mind you). And I guess I wouldn't pick a Nature Godlike or Wild Orlan (who have interesting traits... but again, situational). But the rest of the races... generally good.

canakin

Cipher
Tyranny>Pillows>Wasteland>OP's mom >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TToN

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom