Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is inXile better than Fagsidian? Do they make better games? Is WL2 less brain damaging than PoE?

Mark Richard

Arcane
Oh wait, what's that over there ?

Age_of_Decadence_Logo.JPG
A choose-your-own-adventure novel? I liked Age of Decadence, but its gameplay is so fleeting that there's no reason for it to be a computer game. It had me heading to Project Aon to sift through Lone Wolf gamebooks.

Gunnar

Arbiter
These, while some of the most interesting equipment pieces, are just the tip of the iceberg. I've barely touched categories other then weapons.
Anyway, the old IE games have NOTHING on PoE equipment variety after WM.

I used the same weapon for several characters all the way through the game. I think I found a weapon for Eder in the first town and used that until the end. The differences are so minor you won't notice and in practice you never really have to worry about enemy weaknesses. Armor is even more retarded and boring.

Your loss, really. Pity about Eder, though. So much wasted potential.

The thing is that all of those weapons you listed, you simply won't notice any of the buffs in actual practice, they're so minor. That's what POE system is, stacking small buffs. It's all so boring.

Eder just tanked and spanked all the way through the game, 100% effective. I probably could have used ANY weapon in the game and had the exact same result.

How anyone could play this game through 3 times is beyond me.

Freedom: +25 Defense against Hobbled, Stuck, Paralyzed attacks;

Wow, that is so much better than the freedom effect in D&D and ie games that made you immune to hold, slow, paralyze and all other effects that involved movement (including haste).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
These, while some of the most interesting equipment pieces, are just the tip of the iceberg. I've barely touched categories other then weapons.

I used the same weapon for several characters all the way through the game. I think I found a weapon for Eder in the first town and used that until the end. The differences are so minor you won't notice and in practice you never really have to worry about enemy weaknesses. Armor is even more retarded and boring.

The thing is that all of those weapons you listed, you simply won't notice any of the buffs in actual practice, they're so minor. That's what POE system is, stacking small buffs. It's all so boring.

Change weapon damage from slash to least resisted corrosive; summon greatsword of pure flame; target Willpower instead of Deflection; slay vessels on-hit, no save; shoot lightning arrows and cause aoe stunning thunderstorms, make enemies prone/stunned on-crit (almost all attacks if you build for it, with a Barbiarian disable enemies in a large aoe around you as well) are minor buffs, eh?

I rest my case.

Gunnar

Arbiter

Change weapon damage from slash to least resisted corrosive; summon greatsword of pure flame; target Willpower instead of Deflection; slay vessels on-hit, no save; shoot lightning arrows and cause aoe stunning thunderstorms, make enemies prone/stunned on-crit (almost all attacks if you build for it, with a Barbiarian disable enemies in a large aoe around you as well) are minor buffs, eh?

I rest my case.

It sounds impressive, until you play the game. None of it matters. You would do just as well knocking over all the mooks (with zero encounter design) with any other weapon.

Parabalus

Arcane
It sounds impressive, until you play the game. None of it matters. You would do just as well knocking over all the mooks (with zero encounter design) with any other weapon.
You literally use almost the same weapons until the end of the game , you deluded mongrel. The differences are miniscule

Weapon upgrades in PoE are more impactful than those in PoE. They aren't flashy enough, apparently you need a sonic boom effect on every stun to be recognized.

Freedom: +25 Defense against Hobbled, Stuck, Paralyzed attacks;

Wow, that is so much better than the freedom effect in D&D and ie games that made you immune to hold, slow, paralyze and all other effects that involved movement (including haste).

You also have immunity effects for those debuffs, what you mentioned is akin to a save vs. spell bonus.

My advice: play on some reasonable difficulty level.
Encounter design is much improved BTW.

They're probably playing on easy, no way you could spew so much stupidity otherwise.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Weapon upgrades in PoE are more impactful than those in PoE. They aren't flashy enough, apparently you need a sonic boom effect on every stun to be recognized.

I seen a video where Josh Sawyer talked about the weapons in NV and people criticized one of the guns as being "too weak", but then the sound effect of the gun was changed and then those same people who had said it was too weak now said it was great now, even though none of the stats had been changed at all. It goes to show how it is all nothing more than a matter of perception. So yes, the same is undoubtedly true with POE weapons - if they were adjusted to have some extra bells and whistles people would suddenly think they were a lot more powerful even if the stats remained unchanged. That's how people's minds work, or at least the neurotypical ones... and that's why they don't appreciate Sawyer's genius because they are unable to comprehend it.

Just as it is inscribed on Joshua Graham's pistol: "And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

Neurotypicals like Gunnar and luj1 are the darkness, and Sawyer's genius is the light which they cannot comprehend.

:balance:

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

People who think that harder encounters are better encounters are the ones because of whom we can't have good things. Just NO. Good encounters are the ones that feel unique, meaningful and challenging. Copy pasting the same encounter 1000B times with increased stats does not a good encounter make.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Reading autists talk about POE is merely boring, participating in the discussion is :0-13:, I'm out

Weapon upgrades in PoE are more impactful than those in PoE.
Such wisdom. Keep playing PoE - it stunts brain growth and seems to be doing the job for you.

They're probably playing on easy, no way you could spew so much stupidity otherwise.
Eureka ! THATS the reason the game's lore sucks ass, the game's RTwP combat system is a joke, and the companions are incredibly annoying RP cliches. It is because I've been playing on EASY. YES !! <slap> No it isn't you dumb-ass fuck. I haven't heard anything so fucking stupid in a very long time. Shake the shit out of your ears and come up with something plausible, like maybe this game is just pure and utter monkey dung.

Parabalus

Arcane
POTD is just HPbloat-mode.. to call it "manly" or "tough" or "improved encounter design" is incredibly retarded

PoE is for cuckolds who take refuge in its "gorgous isometric graphics"

You're playing on what's essentially story mode and complaining you can just right click everything to death. Might those two things be related?

People who think that harder encounters are better encounters are the ones because of whom we can't have good things. Just NO. Good encounters are the ones that feel unique, meaningful and challenging.

No wonder you have trouble above easy since you can't grasp the connection between the bolded.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Maybe it's you who has this problem? There are THREE things in that listing. Maybe they all have to happen together? And "challenging" does not test your patience. But your skill.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I seen a video where Josh Sawyer talked about the weapons in NV and people criticized one of the guns as being "too weak", but then the sound effect of the gun was changed and then those same people who had said it was too weak now said it was great now, even though none of the stats had been changed at all. It goes to show how it is all nothing more than a matter of perception. So yes, the same is undoubtedly true with POE weapons - if they were adjusted to have some extra bells and whistles people would suddenly think they were a lot more powerful even if the stats remained unchanged. That's how people's minds work, or at least the neurotypical ones... and that's why they don't appreciate Sawyer's genius because they are unable to comprehend it.

Just as it is inscribed on Joshua Graham's pistol: "And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

Neurotypicals like Gunnar and luj1 are the darkness, and Sawyer's genius is the light which they cannot comprehend.

This is a perfect summary of the situation

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Neurotypicals out
REEEEEEEEEEEE

Regardless of what you call them, there are two groups of people, with one main difference; one group sees the light of Balance, and the other does not. Chris Avelltwo naively equated this with the autistic/neurotypical divide when there is no proof of such a relationship; a more accurate link may be drawn to OCD.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
equated this with the autistic/neurotypical divide when there is no proof of such a relationship;

Nope, I wasn't the one who started calling people autists in this thread. But since that was the game they wanted to play, I decided to roll with it and turn it back against them.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Nope, I wasn't the one who started calling people autists in this thread. But since that was the game they wanted to play, I decided to roll with it and turn it back against them.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of D:OS?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But then they

POTD is just HPbloat-mode.. to call it "manly" or "tough" or "improved encounter design" is incredibly retarded

Nope. There are many moar enemies in groups on PotD. And advanced versions of enemies. You may encounter mainly regular ogres on hard, mixed with 1-2 ogre druids, but mainly ogre druids, mixed with 2-3 ogres and an ogre matron for good measure on PotD.

almondblight

Arcane
Plays on easy mode.

Complains that the combat isn't challenging.

Codex gonna Codex I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom