Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Is it gay to like Kingdom Hearts?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah.... hidden forum chamber...
Kingdom hearts LARP....

Theldaran

Liturgist
Well, it's the very definition of popamole, ain't it?

Why should it be well liked here?

Shortly ago, the creator of Playstation talked about "bringing gaming to adults AND women back in 1994, with the first Playstation". Makes you think? In this case, it ticks off the "women" thing.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
when i was 14 i once searched deviantart with the keywords "kingdom hearts" and yes it was super duper gay.

You only need go so far to Twitter and see the huge amount of fanart of ANY male character and how little there's in for most girls compared. Don't even look at doujins , 100% gay.

KH2FM even if has some gay moments , still a masterpiece of ARPG. Combat is 10/10. Super polished with well desgined boss battle that people play to this day.. KH3remind seems really promising too.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just curious. I'm trying to understand why people like this series so much. Is it mostly women and children? Or are the games actually good?
It's not mostly children, funnily enough. Although a lot of women love the series.

The appeal is of course the Disney cameos. They have gotten a lot worse over the years, but there was a neat appeal of playing an Action JRPG with Disney Renaissance characters like Aladdin or Hercules (played by very good impersonators), and being able to summon Simba like an esper. Double that when you add in Final Fantasy characters into the mix, for early 2000s folk that was the best thing since sliced bread. Then there's the take-it-or-leave-it art design by black clothing and zippers for days designs by Tetsuya Nomura. A lot of people love his designs and was one of the biggest draws when you look at the cover art and what they're all wearing. After that you have the actual gameplay itself, which started out as an neat little mix of real time combat with Final Fantasy spellcasting and menu navigation. I will say that gimmick is usually pretty fun. And then you have the story, oh god. The story is complex anime nonsense which is another reason why people like it, and after your average pre-teen gets hooked by the premise and gameplay, they start liking the original characters too much. Just multiply that one pre-teen by a couple million and you have the Kingdom Hearts fanbase.

So to answer your question, are the games actually good? On average, I'd say definitely not to your average Codex user. There's a lot of minigames, the combat is twitchy, as time goes on the games get progressively more action-y and less RPG-y, the story is full of anime cutscenes, and each game is like 40+ hours long. The timeline is also a mess and you're required to play/watch(!) handheld games to get the full gist. I haven't played the series since the second title, but I can at least understand the appeal more or less. Just look at the art, it's almost self explanatory.

EDIT: To answer the forum question: yes.

mogwaimon

Magister
NO U you guys are the gays. more gay than the guys from East Buttfuck who are super gay compared to the ones from West Buttfuck don't bully me for liking Nomura-san's masterpiece of darkness and light and Disney...

real talk though kingdom hearts is the shit. not a masterpiece or anything like that and the plotline is more spaghet than spaghet but it's engaging and you can kick disney villain asses so whatever it's fun.

Sentinel

Arcane
Might buy the All in One collection that's on sale cause I'm curious. Maybe I'll report later on exactly how gay kingdom hearts is.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The 3DS and PSP ones has a nice gameplay. The plot is not only gay but also shit.

The PSP and 3DS are broken as shit and have a severe case of artifical difficulty.

The only real good Kingdom Hearts games in the gameplay department are 1 and 2. 1 because it teaches you gradually and, while not exactly deep, uses your abilities extensivly. Excellent learning curve up until the secret bosses. I'm not really a great twitchy player, but I was fascinated at how well I managed to deal with the secret boss, considering how insane on paper he is.

2 is all over the place in comparison and has some gimmicky stuff (that fucking water clone data battle), but has excellent in-depth and high level gameplay accompanied by some great bosses.

The bullshit systems in the 3DS and PSP ones fuck all of that up and are fully style over substance. The mysterious figure secret boss being the most retarded thing in all of Kingdom Hearts.

Danikas

Arcane
Never played this shit when I was a kid I played manly games, no wonder modern generation is so cucked.

Last edited:

The Decline

Arcane
As a kid I always thought Disney movies were for girls. I vastly preferred Don Bluth's stuff, nightmare fuel and all. So yes, Kingdom Hearts is gay as fuck.

Sentinel

Arcane
I have decided to not buy the All In One collection after all, as I do not like any of Nomura's games and trying out KH1 on PCSX2 it seemed pretty fucking shit.

Thank you for saving me from the gays, Codex.

Cat Dude

Savant
Nomura affection for pretty boys knows no bound tbh. His gay arse character designs have always been a big turn off for me to enjoy 3D Final Fantasy games. What worst is that all jrpg developers seem to adore whatever shit he had done to the franchise and make their own version of gay arse Final Fantasy.

Zer0wing

Cipher
No, it is gay to autistically hate on Kingdom Hearts (it naturally has
rating_prestigious.png
classic waifu set). As far as what these games are aimed to (marry Disney and JRPGs), they execute it well enough to not look back on Final Fantasy.

Just keep in mind it's a game for 2000s western kids, don't overanalyze it either, that's gay too.

There's a picture in case of my text being incomprehensible.
iu

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom