Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadowrun Is Shadowrun Hong Kong worth it?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by S.torch, Dec 7, 2019.

1. jackofshadows Learned

jackofshadows
    After an okay SR (except wtf twist, obviously), suprizingly good DF I went into HK and... dropped it after ~25 hours (I've tried). Pacing was terrible, the writing wasn't good enough, neither the combat.

At the end of the day, I think "worthiness" depends on either one would like specificity of the HK's setting or not. In the latter case it might be boring as hell. There're some interesting companions but it's not like the whole game has been built around them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    Pretty much, jackofshadows. Although from a storyfag perspective, HK has the potential of being something depending on one's personal tastes, while the appeal of Returns is solely for the gameplay if you want some more after having played DF (& +/- HK).

^ Top  
  3. normie Erudite Patron

normie
    guy, I know you're not tone-deaf, you can like the characters or whatever because samurai are cool and Russian dudes are cool, but the message was what it was

Gaichu's personal story culminates with you helping him complete his journey of abandoning fascism by way of helping him kill his metaphorical family, his unit, who he likened to a literal family (the prototypical ingroup, the seed of all fascism per Frankfurt School theory) - the concept of the "one good ghoul" is pretty heavy-handed in itself

Racter was essentially "if people weren't irrational, they'd agree with me, the gaylord who wrote this character" the character, perhaps the least offensive, but an obvious argument against biological essentialism, gender essentialism in specific in the context of the writing overall

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. V_K Arcane

V_K
    That's, like, almost the whole game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. jackofshadows Learned

jackofshadows
    The intention was to finish the game in order to write some proper feedback for friends but I gave up, basically.

^ Top  
  6. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    Gaichu's quest does not have an ideological arch with him renouncing his corporation on moral grounds. He is simply reacting to external circumstances which had forced his hand.

As for Racter, he is just espousing your typical transhumanist views. I don't recall any particular focus upon gender in his dialogue (though admittedly some time has passed since I last played HK), but if anything it only serves to reinforce the biological dimension of gender - there can be no objective distinction between the sexes if you simply replace all your innards with synthetic counterparts.

^ Top  
  7. Icewater Artisanal Shitposting™ Patron

Icewater
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Normie is just trolling, don't give him any attention.

Dragonfall's combat was pretty easy if you understand the game's systems well enough to create a decent character. It doesn't even require min-maxxing, you just need to not try to make a jack-of-all-trades because those suck hard in the Shadowrun games. Hong Kong is even easier than that but, IMO, the story and characters were a lot more interesting. I'm a huge storyfag so I loved Hong Kong but if the writing doesn't appeal to you I can see why a person would consider it worse than Dragonfall.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. normie Erudite Patron

normie
    it's a metaphorical asspull, doesn't mean it's a good one - beyond the essence of it, which is the meat of it, it's your typical leftoid canard (of the irredeemable fascists), just within the Shadowrun setting

Gaichu's conveniently features another anti-racism classic - he lost his vision, esoterically meaning he's not superficial anymore because he doesn't judge by sight, an elaboration on the classic "race is just a skin colour, bro" burn
    -

when I said Racter is sackless, I meant it literally - he was "enlightened" because he lost his dicknballs, no? :bigthink:

it's not a coincidence all the "good ones", the male companions in the game, are non-reproductive, sterile or castrated

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    I think that you are reading too much into it, normie. Don't become the right-wing equivalent of (((gaming journalists))).

^ Top  
  10. gurugeorge Educated

gurugeorge
    lol, yeah, these games are quite "preachy," but (as with Pathfinder:Kingmaker), for the most part the preaching doesn't seem to be the primary concern, and it's handled well enough that it's not too intrusive, not so bad as to break immersion. It's there if you think about it, but otherwise it's a jolly adventure. The preaching is subtler than in many other games, sugar-coated (with decent story, etc.) - more like the old fashioned type of indoctrination of Hollywood movies up to about the mid Noughties.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    fascism is bad

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top