Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Is there a list of who wrote what in Torment?

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't feel like wasting time on companions with subpar writing, so I'm wondering if anyone has an overview of what the many writers have contributed to the game?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
All I know so far is who wrote Callistege. Stay away.

7e0f0fe273c66af1c5a989b26e48ab34.png

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Isn't she the one who started in the vidya business specifically to work on a Torment sequel? Anyway, Callistege seemed like a boring mass of clichés so I dumped her the first chance i got.

Obviousplant

Educated
Take Erritis. Callistege seemed cool on the outset, but I don't think she said anything interesting during the entire game. Maybe one funny dismissive line of Erritis, but that's it.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MCA wrote Erritis. Rothfuss wrote Rhin. Callistege honestly doesn't seem to be that bad so far.

Edit: Oh and Aligern is Nathan Long.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Take Erritis. Callistege seemed cool on the outset, but I don't think she said anything interesting during the entire game. Maybe one funny dismissive line of Erritis, but that's it.
and her premise is so interesting, but she speaks like all the average jane out there. With multiple versions of yourself from another realities i expect her to be incoherent at times, perceive the world in such varied way that she seems crazy to the normal people.

Fuck, even just put some time/dimension gimmick to her speech like abnaxus from TLJ will help alot.

Maybe it is too early because i havent got out from the reef yet, and i am tired af, but eberytime she has a dialogue, it jusy scream missed opportunity to make an interesting character.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Erritis rules, especially if you have Matkina in your party as well. Biodrones shall have their romances! somewhat

Not suprised this is the one written by MCA, by far most amusing companion, despite being comic relief.

Obviousplant

Educated
... eberytime she has a dialogue, it jusy scream missed opportunity to make an interesting character.
Sorry to break it to you, but that's pretty much her entire character arc :( I felt the same way.
Though later on in Bloom, you can sacrifice one of her personalities, who'll refuse to join her back when you meet her again

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
When you say Torment, I automatically think about the game that is actually called Torment, as in Planescape: Torment, called such because it's set in Planescape, but titled Torment.

I wish people would take care to refer to it more properly as Tides of Numenera, to avoid confusion. Also, Tides of Numenera isn't really worthy of being confused with Torment to begin with.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
McComb, Ziets, Long, Rothfuss, Avellone, Mitsoda... this is largely a Gen X game. This is what they've evolved into.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a list of who wrote what in Torment?
I don't feel like wasting time on companions with subpar writing,

How about you just read and then form your own opinion and judge the quality for yourself instead of just blindly enabling your preconceptions?

I guess that would require too much independent thinking, its easier to take photographs of authors or the reputation of their names as basis.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Is there a list of who wrote what in Torment?
I don't feel like wasting time on companions with subpar writing,

How about you just read and then form your own opinion and judge the quality for yourself instead of just blindly enabling your preconceptions?

I guess that would require too much independent thinking, its easier to take photographs of authors or the reputation of their names as basis.

You're not wrong, I used to feel like this with video games before as well, only my collected experiences with writing in the medium has left me disillusioned. I refuse to let another of the shitty writers that make up 99% of the industry, fuck up a game experience I've been looking forward too. That and I don't have time to play through games several times to get to all the content anymore.

alkeides 2.0

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Callistege doesn't even have a proper sidequest or ending, if you are playing the game for "story", ditch her, pick up Alligern. I unfortunately stuck with her because I thought she was a better damage-dealer than Alligern.

I liked Rhin's "good" ending though.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I ditched Aligern and Callistige the first moment it was possible. Is Aligern at least interesting? Does he add any content in the game at all? At the moment Erritis is the best companion followed by Rhin. Another utility companion can be the charmer captain guy forgot-his-name. So I played with these three. But the last guy adds nothing to the game content wise. I was wondering if I should recruit anyone else for the second playthrough.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I went with Aligern, Erritis and Rhin. Aligern is your average Joe of Numanuma, he is somewhat interesting (least interesting of aforementioned party) and his personal quest stretches across whole game. Said quest is sadly not very amusing, but is serviceable. For my next playthrough I plan to switch him with Matkina. Callistege can go and eat dirt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom