Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Is there any mod that makes Quake 2 not suck?

catfood

AGAIN
I'm currently replaying this for the first time in 20 years and my God this game isn't even halfway as good as the original. I played it for 15 minutes and I already want to uninstall it.

The movement is fucked up. I can't explain it, it just is. It's like there's no friction between the character and the floor.

The weapons feel bad. There's a very tiny delay between pressing the mouse button and when they fire. It's one of those things that you can't help but notice. Is this system related or something? They are also very lame. Like the laser pistol is one of the lamest weapons I've ever encountered in a shooter. The only thing it's good for is as a flash light. I know it's the first weapon but come on! The machine gun has this retarded recoil effect that the developers undoubtedly found "cool" but it's just annoying. It also sounds like pop corn in the microwave oven. Even the shotgun is meh.

That animation that the enemies do when they're about to die got old the second time it happened. It's not cute, it's annoying. You don't pose any threat anymore you stupid NPC, JUST DIE ALREADY! This exacerbates the weapons problem because now the weapons feel even more lame. I appreciate the hard work the artists put in to give them different textures based on how damaged they are, though.

The game is so orange. Normally I love oranges (I just ate one) but this is too much.

The level design is pretty good, I'll admit, but I fear it's not going to be enough if the shooting is so fucked up.

Are there any mods that fix this game? Quake 1 remains a masterpiece to this day. This one? WTF happened???

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Welcome to Quake 2, enjoy your stay. Better uninstall now because it's not going to get any better.

Master

Arbiter
The machine gun has this retarded recoil effect that the developers undoubtedly found "cool" but it's just annoying.
Didnt you read the manual, and watched Aliens?

''Machine Gun: Although this weapon is easy to use, its light weight allows for considerable kickback that will push your gun up. Fire in short burst until you can effectively steady your aim.''

Generic-Giant-Spider

Quake 1 has one of the best FPS single player experiences ever made. The environments carrying this outlandish, Gothic and Lovecraftian atmosphere truly made it stand out and the gameplay was much more fluid and frantic. Quake II was good, but it felt a bit more generic and sterile in some ways, it also aged significantly worse and the movement was a little too sluggish for my liking. There was something to it that never felt quite right to me, coming to it from Quake 1.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
As far as I know Quake 2 was meant to be a different series entirely but then they opted to use the Quake name at the last minute.

Quake 1 is my favorite fps, and while 2 is no where near it I still think it's a pretty good shooter. You just can't go into it expecting Quake 1, despite being justified in doing so because of the shared name and all. If you dislike the game at its core, though, then no, there is no mod that will make it a game that you like.

Master

Arbiter
Quake 2 is seriously great... People just nitpick, thats all. Game is too orange? Death animations? One gun recoils a bit? Wow how horrible.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Quake 1 has one of the best FPS single player experiences ever made. The environments carrying this outlandish, Gothic and Lovecraftian atmosphere truly made it stand out and the gameplay was much more fluid and frantic. Quake II was good, but it felt a bit more generic and sterile in some ways, it also aged significantly worse and the movement was a little too sluggish for my liking. There was something to it that never felt quite right to me, coming to it from Quake 1.
:bro:

Curratum

Quake 2 is fine. It's obviously not as good as one but it's quite allright and has the best feeling and response from all the shooters of its day and age. Blood 2 FEELS like garbage, SiN is an elaborate joke in terms of gunplay and enemies, and in the end of the day you're left with Quake 2, which still FEELS pretty decent to play, even if responsiveness, gun hit feedback and movement are not quite as squelchy and punchy as Quake 1.

soulburner

Cipher
I like Quake 2, but as already mentioned, it was never supposed to be named "Quake". I can't recall, but Tim Willits said in one interview what the initial name was supposed to be. They either couldn't copyright it or were late with applying for the copyright and E3 was just around the corner, so they decided to stay with the Quake name.

Anyhow, I agree. While Quake 1 aged nicely and is still an awesome game, Quake 2 feels sort of "meh", but it's still up there in my top shooters list.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Quake 2 is seriously great... Game is too orange? Death animations? One gun recoils a bit? Wow how horrible.

Seriously what the fuck. I can imagine what kind of a miserable existence OP must go through every day to be so moody and crotchety like an old woman. Go fucking shake your fist at a cloud

Viata

Arcane
I can't recall, but Tim Willits said in one interview what the initial name was supposed to be
What was the original name?

The options were "Strogg" or "Loaded" IIRC
Originally, Quake II was supposed to be an entirely new game and IP; titles like 'Strogg', 'Lock and Load', and even just 'Load' were toyed with in the early days of development. But after numerous failed attempts, the team at id decided to stick with 'Quake II' and forego the gothic Lovecraftian horror theme from the original in favor of a more sci-fi aesthetic.

DraQ

Arcane
This thread is relevant to my interests. Interdastingly enough I might need to defend Q2 a bit in it, shit/meh as it may be.

The machine gun has this retarded recoil effect that the developers undoubtedly found "cool" but it's just annoying. It also sounds like pop corn in the microwave oven. Even the shotgun is meh.
Actualy, while Q2 arsenal is horribly overrated (thanks to spastics running around and cumming all over themselves because SSG/RG - admittedly, although it's just yet another braindead scattergun, SSG does at least feel and sound respectably powerful), it isn't really bad. For most part it is horribly unimaginative, being just iso standard FPS guns without any interesting quirks or twists, and it also lacks precision weapons, but it actually has some highlights in the form of its three different MOAR DAKKA implementations that actually do have some unique quirks impacting their use - I am speaking of MG, CG and HB here.
MG is probably least refreshing of those and definitely the least powerful, but it makes a good all around weapon thanks to its controlled fire ability and kickback, while both heavy handed and manageable, does discourage sustained fire somewhat.

The rest is spot on.
The level design is pretty good, I'll admit
Layouts, sure, but there is more to mapping than layouts and the environments realizing those layouts are boring and repetitive.
Which is a shame, because, for example texturework, is pretty cool, it's just that it is used to create box corridor after a box corridor with only minimal stylistic differences between units.

but I fear it's not going to be enough if the shooting is so fucked up.
Shooting AND the enemies on its receiving end.
Seriously, the enemies got the shorter end of the stick here. Guns are at least functional and moderately satisfying to use (if already done to death by the time the game was released), but the enemies are just pathetic - completely non-threatening (even before accounting for all the damage taken by player being halved in SP) and not using game's surprisingly interesting armour system, which could have been its saving grace.
Seriously, how badly do you need to fuck up to have a game that has:
  • nasty, armour plated cyborgs from space as antagonists, with one particularly hulking and armoured variety being called "tanks"
  • pretty cool armour system
  • ...that is player only
Did no one see it's plain fucking retarded - triangular peg in a round hole sideways kind of fucking retarded?
Did they fucking dropped everyone in the entire dev team on their heads when they cried too much as babies?

Are there any mods that fix this game?

Quake 1 remains a masterpiece to this day. This one? WTF happened???
WTF indeed.

My diagnosis is that Carmack got crippled by his Romerotomy. They both had the unique kinds of derp that actually cancelled each other.

Master

Arbiter
Layouts, sure, but there is more to mapping than layouts and the environments realizing those layouts are boring and repetitive.
Which is a shame, because, for example texturework, is pretty cool, it's just that it is used to create box corridor after a box corridor with only minimal stylistic differences between units.
Thats just the game being consistent... Remember that its set in a single giant location (Strogg capital city) so you cant suddenly have a beach with palm trees jumping out of nowhere. And even then, the levels are actually quite varied and different from eachother.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom