Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Is there any mod that makes Quake 2 not suck?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by catfood, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    it gives me "No ray tracing capable GPU found" error.

^ Top  
  2. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Still needs a Pascal GTX/Turing GTX and newest drivers (v430.86) as a minimum I believe.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Updated to the newest drivers. Got 21 fps with regular 1070.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The edge is strong here....first they shit on Q2, now they shit on a free Ray tracing option if you have the damn thing already saying it doesn't match the aesthetics of Q2; the same aesthetics that were being shat on just a few pages ago!

Don't ever change boyos!

:lol: :salute:

^ Top  
  5. Owl Savant Patron

Owl
    Q2 wasn't the best looking game in the first place, but they somehow managed to make it look even worse aesthetically (fancy reflections and lighting nonwithstanding). That's an impressive feat... Yeah it's free, but if the goal was to showcase their amazing raytracing tech, it's failed. I don't believe many people will run out and buy RTX cards after seeing this. But maybe others are more easily impressed, I don't know.

^ Top  
  6. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    LMAO the fuck is this shit:

I don't know what's worse, the "enhancements" like the serene blue sky instead of the red skybox or watching this faggot play.

• decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Just tried Quake 2 RTX myself recently and again tonight. It really is an anti-advertisement for nVidia, because even on a 2070 it runs like garbage on even the low ray tracing setting at 1440p. Also the de-noising looks like garbage too, and if that becomes the new standard then fuck me it's worse than TAA.

Also yeah, the lighting might be impressive technically but artistry wise it looks like shit and not at all like Quake 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. otsego Arbiter

otsego
    Q2 single player was a bit of a slog but the weapons were awesome... cooking and tossing those grenade (you can all hear the ticking of the timer and pinging of the grenade on the geo right now, don't lie) was a blast.

MP is where it shone though (on THE ZONE... remember that?). I remember a mod that gave every weapon a ton of alt fires similar to the Heretic power upgrade. I specifically remember tossing "cataclysmic grenades" and using a grappling hook.

Anyone remember the name of it?

^ Top  
  9. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    What kills me is that there's supposed to settings in the RTX version that would help making it look like the original (to wit, you can change the skybox into a red one), but i have yet to see anyone using them.

^ Top  
  10. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    Eh, I completed Q2 and lived. Unlike the original, I don't think I ever replayed Q2. Only played it after heavily modifying my bindings and settings to make it playable, and then gave it hell. I don't remember anything about the game. I don't remember if there were even bosses - just remember the secret room at the end with the programmers pictures and such.

It was obvious the focus was more on lighting, graphics, and explosions rather than gunplay. This made the game look nice but completely lost focus on what people were after - a hyper-dynamic feel like Quake 1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)