Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Isometric 2D Art Appreciation Thread

GueulEclator

Educated
Also, can I post a few strategy game screen?

Marsal

Arcane
Also, can I post a few strategy game screen?
Bro, this is the Codex. You can post whatever you want. Just be ready for rape dissenting opinions if what you post is deemed not adequate for the prestigious magazine.

GueulEclator

Educated
Bro, this is the Codex. You can post whatever you want. Just be ready for rape dissenting opinions if what you post is deemed not adequate for the prestigious magazine.

I'm going to enjoy my stay here.

There you go, the inevitable : Age of Empire 2
Aoe3.jpg

aoe2a012-176684.jpg

379cfa86-fb5d-44f2-9c7c-2d1a65c5f7a4.gif

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Great thread! This is probably going to make me reinstall quite a few old gems over the next few days. :thumbsup:

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I feel like that game's been in development at least as long as AoD.

GueulEclator

Educated
HAHAHAHA. As soon as I posted the Age Of Empire 2 pics, this thread got quarantined from the prestigious RPG discussion.
Who knew I had so much Power Already.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Fully agree with DraQ here. Not that the screenshot looks ugly, but it's so much better in smaller resolutions. :/

Kirtai

Augur
I like to set fixed resolution games to something that gives about the right physical size on my monitor. Assuming 640x480 was meant for 14" crts, that means my lcd is 1.7 times taller so 1280x800 gives graphics about the right size. Yes, I overthink this :P

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
As expected, more than half of the screenshots in a "2D art" appreciation thread, are in fact pre-rendered 3D. :smug:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
As expected, more than half of the screenshots in a "2D art" appreciation thread, are in fact pre-rendered 3D. :smug:

Your point? Regardless of the technique used to generate the art assets, they were created by artists, and the final result ends up being as two-dimensional as any painting painted to convey the illusion of three-dimensionality. I suspect artists find it difficult to paint from an isometric perspective, but that's just a supposition.

Also, many of the IE games feature hand-painted touch-ups and highlights on top of the pre-rendered backgrounds.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Holy SHIT does the Banner Saga look amazing!

Also, this is probably my favorite thread around here, keep them breath taking pics coming! :love:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
They all are, except for that vomitous cartoon shit on page 2.

Well, I'm pretty sure Albion's genuine 2D, so there. Don't really know how Fallout's tiles were made.

Your point? Regardless of the technique used to generate the art assets, they were created by artists, and the final result ends up being as two-dimensional as any painting painted to convey the illusion of three-dimensionality. I suspect artists find it difficult to paint from an isometric perspective, but that's just a supposition.

Also, many of the IE games feature hand-painted touch-ups and highlights on top of the pre-rendered backgrounds.

No point, really, just posting for informative purposes. A lot of the posters in this thread seem to think the quality of these backgrounds is a consequence of the technique used. I find arguments in favor of 2D vs 3D with IE games being used as an example very funny for this reason.

Silva

Arcane
Fuck static isometric backgrounds like those in the IE games, they may look great but they fuck with my world interactivity, an essential feature of the genre. A proper RPG should allow the player to walk over roofs, swim or destroy obstacles in a non-scripted way first, then be pretty. Fuck the Infinity Engine games btw, I killed the shopkeeper of Easthaven to take all his shit and I got nothing, fuck that shit.
This.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, I'm pretty sure Albion's genuine 2D, so there.

Ah, I missed that one. Yeah.

Don't really know how Fallout's tiles were made.

3D renders.

I find arguments in favor of 2D vs 3D with IE games being used as an example very funny for this reason.

There's nothing "funny" about it. 3D used to make 2d renders is not the same as having your game 3D. So arguing 2D vs 3D is really about whether the game is 2D or 3D not the way the graphics are made.
Of course, there are those mentally deranged who think there's some ninja artists somewhere who paint all those huge detailed backgrounds from scratch. Those ARE pretty funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom