Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Isometric 2D Art Appreciation Thread

Gerrard

Arcane
Hey bro, what game is that from, and is it any good?
Darkmere: The Nightmare's Begun for the Amiga.
It's a pretty good adventure game, though I guess a bit simplistic when looking back on it. Aside from the great graphics there's also quite a lot of text in it, since you can examine your surroundings and items you pick up and they have fairly detailed descriptions.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not exactly isometric in the first place though.
Wolfenstein 3D

Wolfenstein3-D-Episode4-Floor3.png

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't understand what you mean, those levels look awesome!
When you see the entire picture, sure. When you're actually playing the game, not so much. In general I dislike mazes in games unless there's some specific reason for their existence. Basically you have endless corridors that all look exactly the same except for a different wall texture. Empty corridors are not that great gameplay environments either, and there's very little variety and nothing really interesting to be found on the levels. Games like Doom and Duke 3D feel pretty fresh even today because of their great pacing and the amount of variety, but the last time I wanted to play Wolfenstein was in the mid 90's or so.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree with Carrion on these. I replayed Wolf3d two decades news, and the later levels were really boring. With the limited texture variety that games provides the bigger maps we see a big gap between it and Doom. The latter one, even vanilla has a great design.

Dexter

Arcane
Too bad that some of the images are already starting to deprecate :/

Before I forget, this is also interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_prerendered_backgrounds

Anyway, commence dumping:

Commandos:
commandos2_105x4inu.jpg

commandos-antologia-2a5czs.jpg

Some random concept:
isoghetto_big7xfm2.jpg

Another concept:
3688_1329368086_large.jpg

PS:T again:
torment2012-04-3017-3acfz9.png

Robin Hood:
18xcuo.jpg

3j9dkv.jpg

Nobody posted these yet, so I guess here goes (Wasteland 2 concepts by the STASIS guy):
Plane-1.jpg

Camp-Ent-2-DAY.jpg

Camp-Ent-DUSKY.jpg

Also saved these from previous page, since they dead now (Vampire Hunter 2 - unreleased game):
d0bed185d0bed182d0bddjrec5.jpg

demo_level_night0dct0.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Too bad that some of the images are already starting to deprecate :/

Before I forget, this is also interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_prerendered_backgrounds

*snip*

Also saved these from previous page, since they dead now (Vampire Hunter 2 - unreleased game):

These kinds of threads have a short life timespan, image hosting being what it is.

Christopher Bischoff is a damn good artist, his work on stasis is amazing (i imagine he's doing his own artwork, no?).

Dexter

Arcane

Zdzisiu

Arcane
FFS that guy has some incredible skills, its simply amazing how he manages to create those gorgeous screenshots seemingly without any effort.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
So I guess the guy must have a 50 million budget, right? After all, prerendered graphics cost much much more than real time 3D you know. :troll:

EDIT: And his work is gorgeous.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Somebody should force him to make classical 2d isometric crpgs for the rest of his life. :troll:

This. But instead of forcing him by say... threatening to kill his cat/wife/children, just get him addicted to crack cocaine and promise him more beautiful bliss for every background he designs. I heard Inxile has some quality dealers on their quick dial.

Fart Master

Savant
I always thought Commandos and that Wild West game with the same gameplay looked amazing. That reminds me that I have never played Commandos 2.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
This topic is still relevant! Here's my contribution. I browsed through the entire thread, but still, pardon any repetitions.
Nox-1.png

e73d6863-1460-4e26-8cb7-f3b4ce6978a3.jpg

The first game is Nox. The second is an obscure and as of yet, unreleased Russian game called Fatherdale.

Jaceface

My own contribution! recently painted this in photoshop for fun.
i.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom