Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Isometric gameplay can't hold a candle to first person real-time

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
CyberP said:
FPP can feature strategy and tactics.
But not hands-on coordination of strategy and tactics.

Yes it can, just fly up in a VTOL and hover above the battlefield. Then it would be both FPP and Isometric or top-down.
Incoming pendantry: isometric projections, like other parallel projections (such as dimetric, trimetric, cavalier oblique, and ortographic) is based on the assumption that parallel lines will be rendered as equally distant and that there is no vanishing point, which is not true in 3D (where distant objects are seen as smaller). Thus, is is actually impossible to have an isometric perspective in a true 3D game.

One interesting example that combined iso and 3D is Little Big Adventure 2, where the exterior was 3D with a rotating camera, but building interiors switched to a fixed-camera isometric projection.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"Incoming pendantry: isometric projections, like other parallel projections (such as dimetric, trimetric, cavalier oblique, and ortographic) is based on the assumption that parallel lines will be rendered as equally distant and that there is no vanishing point, which is not true in 3D (where distant objects are seen as smaller). Thus, is is actually impossible to have an isometric perspective in a true 3D game."

Yes, but there is nothing stopping the battlefield below being 2D.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Yes, but there is nothing stopping the battlefield below being 2D.
Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding: are you suggesting a 3D game where you play a general who looks at a monitor with isometric projection?

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
"As for your VTOL example - what if the game is set in pre-industrial historical setting?"

Your PC is Allah ;)
:rpgcodex:
I said historical.

Deeper core concept? Yes.
Concept is only as deep as stuff implemented in it.

If you are making a game about, for example, commanding a space armade through hi-tech interface, then any additional first person layer between you, the player, and this interface is completely spurious and doesn't add depth.
As said, it would be a possibility, but kinda pointless.
If only you realized it 9 pages ago...

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
If you are making a game about, for example, commanding a space armade through hi-tech interface, then any additional first person layer between you, the player, and this interface is completely spurious and doesn't add depth.

It does if it's VR.

DraQ

Arcane

It does if it's VR.
Ah, I get it.
We thought you were talking about depth as in "mechanical depth" or "gameplay depth", but it turns out you meant "depth" as in "depth perception".
Silly us.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Wouldn't it be even more immersive and interactive experience if you role-play the general in real-life and your PC is your battle command center? :smug:

Ah, I get it.
We thought you were talking about depth as in "mechanical depth" or "gameplay depth", but it turns out you meant "depth" as in "depth perception".
Silly us.
:bro:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Wouldn't it be even more immersive and interactive experience if you role-play the general in real-life and your PC is your battle command center? :smug:

No.

Ah, I get it.
Silly us.

All of the above. Like I said, in 20 years you continue to click away. I'll be a ninja with exaggerated physical ability, a superhero, an evil overlord, or whatever. You can bet VR sex sims will be a huge thing also, but I'm fine with RL sex. What I cannot do is be a superhero etc.

FPP can do iso, yes it would probably be pointless unless you want to go VR & seriously want to roleplay, but the point stands. FPP VR is the future. Unfortunately the games will probably lack depth but on a conceptual level FPP has greater potential.

DraQ

Arcane
But with VR you can roleplay general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general roleplaying general ...

Endless depth!

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
So basically, your VR motivation is "I want to be a dragon". I know somebody who can help with that.

Also, don't mind me, I'm just having a bit of good-natured fun in this thread.

Drew

Savant
I see a whole lot of talk, but no one is just like making game.
Who cares what has a greater potential for immersion when the games being made with it are shit?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"greater potential for immersion"

And interactivity.

Yes there will likely be a lot of
:popamole:
But we'll get a couple truly great experiences hopefully.

^I love the art style of these.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
As for games as of now, forgetting VR, there is still greater potential. VR will just change everything significantly.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
As for games as of now, forgetting VR, there is still greater potential. VR will just change everything significantly.

If VR was going to change everything it would have done so back in the 90s.

Drew

Savant
I'm sure that high quality VR might, someday, live up to the level you're expecting, but I doubt that's going to happen for consumers any time in the next two decades. As it is, a 640x800 display per eye is going to create a dissonance with that immersion.

As it is, and I may have missed something in the pile of shit that's been flung back and forth, what elements of fpp make it more immersive IN CRPGS?
As far as I was aware, cRPGs were immersive in their world interactivity, their depth of content, and their choices in both actions and dialogues, giving you options to build or play characters how you felt they should be. Obviously, good cRPGs have more elements along these lines, and worse ones don't.
As I see it, those can all be done in both iso and fpp, with little distinction, except for in animation budgets. So, games that have budgets for more than just grafix and voice actors are going to be more immersive, as there will likely be more to interact and be immersed in.

Is there any part of this you disagree with?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It's coming. Maybe the rift and associated tech won't get anywhere, but it's coming.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Is there any part of this you disagree with?

No. No disagreements. Immersion is after all a state of mind and for some people it will be different, but for most people FPP will assist greatly, but if it's all popamole we're just going to be left unsatisfied and unable to get immersed no matter how convincing.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
[QUOTE="DragoFireheart, post: 3337255, member: 8273
No it's not. It's only barely not vaporware, much like 3D tech.[/QUOTE]

:nocountryforshitposters:

Maybe not so soon but it's coming.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
but if it's all popamole we're just going to be left unsatisfied and unable to get immersed no matter how convincing.

Exactly. Fix the core problems of games being "streamlined" before moving onto VR and other tech that will turn into gimmicks.

Maybe not so soon but it's coming.

It's already here. Current VR tech is to Virtual Boy (for example) like Wii Remote is to Nintendo Power glove: old tech that someone is trying to reinvent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom