Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Isometric gameplay can't hold a candle to first person real-time

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
First person view is more immersive if you are a LARPer. Now i like LARPing just fine, but to argue that it is a superior way to interact with a game its just asinine.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
First person view is more immersive if you are a LARPer. Now i like LARPing just fine, but to argue that it is a superior way to interact with a game its just asinine.

It is superior. It will no longer be an argument when occulus/VR comes into play. You'll be able to pick that shit up, fumble around with mechanisms and drop/break small objects due to poor hand-eye coordination, throw things about with varied force, brofist people, and will actually be doing it yourself rather than "execute command/click on this" of most Iso games. In first person you can see it up close, detailed. In first person you can see the fucking ceiling, or search under a bed with detail. You can see the smallest of objects such as a hidden switch behind a vase that opens up a secret area. It's a far deeper form of interaction than isometric or third person.

To argue otherwise is asinine.

You wouldn't be retarded if you weren't an idiot.
:killit:
You're an idiot. I shouldn't even need to be explaining such things.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane

It is superior. It will no longer be an argument when occulus/VR comes into play. You'll be able to pick that shit up, fumble around with mechanisms and drop/break small objects due to poor hand-eye coordination, throw things about with varied force, brofist people, and will actually be doing it yourself.

Haha, oh, to be young again. It's what, only ten years ago that I was looking at RB6 and thinking, "Man, just a couple more years and with tech advances this will be so amazing and interactive"

Also, please tell us more about superiority. What's more superior, apples, or perhaps oranges? Thief or Hitman? Lunix or Apple?

We'd love to hear your enlightened take on it, it's really changing our lives. I mean, I already appreciate Fallout 3 so much better now that I know that I can jump in it, and move some decor 'round.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Most immersive gaming experience I've ever had
Teleroboxer_boxart.PNG

After playing a while and getting hit in the face by my opponents, my eyes always start bleeding. The realism is amazing

This subject is giving me flashbacks to this faggot

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I detect butthurt.

So, you're focusing on the immersion argument because the superior interactivity point cannot be disputed.

Yes, immersion is all in one's head. However, It's only logical that a game that strives to simulate real world rules to the latter and engage the player on a deep level is going to be more immersive for most SANE players than a game that cares not to do these things. Most players will find Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth to be far more immersive than mobile game x for example.

Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments. Perform this experiment and we'll see who is right.

Last edited:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Funny that you should pick a mediocre game with very linear level design, heavy emphasis on scripted scenes and not much interactivity as an example

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It would still turn up solid results.

I wouldn't call it mediocre either.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I detect butthurt.

So, you're focusing on the immersion argument because the superior interactivity point cannot be disputed.

Yes, immersion is all in one's head. However, It's only logical that a game that strives to simulate real world rules to the latter and engage the player on a deep level is going to be more immersive for most SANE players than a game that cares not to do these things. Most players will find Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth to be far more immersive than mobile game x for example.

Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments. Perform this experiment and we'll see who is right.
:lol::lol::lol: That is the worst strawman shit I have seen. Also kinda silly to go on about "scientific fact" for your argument, when clearly by your own admission there is no such facts available.... so basically you are saying that: it is a fact that IF there was an experiment the facts would be in your favor :salute:. Well I think if the facts are that you are a moron, perform that experiment and we'll see that I'm right.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
It would still turn up solid results.
As soon as I died trying a scene couple of times, figured that it was scripted in a certain way and that you would succeed only by doing certain things, my immersion was gone. I saw through the level design, the scripts, the enemy AI patterns and didn't approach the situation as in being the game character anymore, but on a very mechanical level, what to do so I can achieve a win state (or at least get to the next checkpoint).
I know most people here hate Errant Signal (for a good reason), but his video on photorealistic graphics made a lot of good arguments on why this whole debate is pointless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRTsl1jCqq8&t

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Man we've tried to tell you multiple times, there is no debate. Isometric/1st person/3rd person it makes no difference when talking about vydia game immmmurshun. You yourself pointed out there is no facts on the topic. Just your opinion. We've heard your opinion. What you think you can change our mind by saying you're right and we're all wrong?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Sure. I've made my points now. There are currently no facts on video game immersion I am aware of. Currently.
The logic is there though.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Debate? All I'm seeing from most is ad hominems due to butthurt.
They're not ad hominems. That would be saying you're wrong because you're an idiot. We're saying you're an idiot because you're wrong.

It's just an insult.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"Because, once again, you are retarded."

This was an ad hominem, among others.

And now my disc drive is refusing to work again. =/ Adding injury to insult.

Edit: awesome. I'll grab a no CD patch/crack and be done with it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
JarlFrank: Sorry, but no.

Zdzisiu: I enjoy a solid survival horror game that you dislike, therefore I am retarded.

Shut your hole.

You are retarded because you seem unable to tell the difference between actual substance and mere fluff. What you call "immersion" is nothing but pretend, and who the fuck give a shit about that except for a small child?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You still don't get it. It is not the idea of immersion in itself that is questionable, but your conception of what constitutes it. Pretend is not what immersion is all about. It was fun enough as a kid to put on a cape and act like a superhero but i think i've outgrown that shit by the time i was six or something. As you grow older, you need a more substantive approach to your entertainment. Watching a stupid animation of your guy jumping over a ditch like in those idiotic Call of Duty games is neither immersive nor is it fun in any way. Its just boring fluff and mostly unnecessary. To cite a pertinent example, the original Thief lost nothing of the tension and coolness factor of clobbering a guy in the head simply because it didn't have some demented take down animation. How the fuck is that shit progress?

Ultimately though, no only have you failed to prove that immersion is the sine qua non of video gaming, but you have even failed to prove that first person view is inherently more immersive in and of itself. When i think of some of the most immersive games i've played, shit like Alpha Centauri or the first Fallout quickly come to mind. To be sure, there are many first person games which i consider to be immersive as well, but the underlying point is that immersion does not hinge on the perspective alone, or at all for that matter. And i certainly never recall thinking that any of those isometric or third person games could be improved by switching to first person, but somehow there must be a lot of faggots like you out there, since not even strategy games are safe anymore. Fucking basic RTS games have to have some half assed zoom option nobody is gonna use, 'cause you know, IMMERSHION. Fuck you.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It's clear I am aware that perspective alone means shit, It's the cumulative whole that matters. First person nyan cat riding through Wolfenstien3D's levels isn't going to be very immersive for most. GTAV (third Person) is likely going to be more immersive than Minecraft (first person) for most because GTAV simulates the real world far better. First person perspective would only add to the simulation attempt.
Are we done here? I provided logic, and you just reinforced it: "immersion does not hinge on perspetive alone" <- therefore it does hinge on something (for video game it's realistic and/or engaging game rules & world), which was a point I already made.

I didn't spend two and a half years making design decisions with consideration for a believable and consistent game world for RPG Codex to say it's meaningless. First Person Perspective is part of that consideration because it is the closest view perspective that simulates human's.

We are done.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Whose alt is this?
I think he's a snitch from the Eidos forums.
Might also be: Viktoria, Andhaira, Konjad, Drog and Thai organized crime leader Bang Cock.
Pick the best option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom