Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

1eyedking Isometric gameplay can't hold a candle to first person real-time

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by CyberP, Jun 13, 2014.

1. No Great Name Cipher

No Great Name
    The thing is that you are talking about a level of interactivity in FP view that does not exist yet (at least I have never seen it done) while most of us are talking about what exists now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. CyberP Unwanted

Unwanted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLCoDY0sgSA

It has yet to grow, but the potential is there, but FP has always had the most potential I believe. There's other VR tech that allows you to move individual fingers also, don't remember the name.
    Perhaps I'm just biased because I am a huge Immersive Sim fan, but I don't think so. I argue this to be fact, but even facts can be refuted. Feel free to try to prove me wrong.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. [​IMG]

^ Top  
  4. CyberP Unwanted

Unwanted
    :excellent:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This is the community: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

You'll notice the top 5 games are all isometric.

^ Top  
  6. CyberP Unwanted

Unwanted
    I've read the list before and it's got a lot of great games in it. Just because the community is in favour of isometric RPGs (the most prevalent type of cRPG, or used to be rather) doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to get a level headed discussion out of it's members regarding other types of RPG/perspectives. You'll notice further up the list are the majority of the Immersive Sims also.

Anyway, when I was talking about what this community "is" I was talking about pathetic little faggots trying to get me banned on other forums simply because I am going against the grain and saying what they don't want to hear.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. crakkie Arcane

crakkie
    A modder, excellent! There are colorful and talented Fallout and Arcanum modders that frequent this site as well. One even has his own subforum. Perhaps you can compare notes.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  8. Now, now, don't act innocent, Detective Zwanzigsson will let Judge Zwanziger decide, according to what the victim says. By the way, the victim is Frau Johanna Zwanzigsky.

See? What kind of proof do you really need?

^ Top  
  9. Zewp Arcane

Zewp
    Codex 2013
    :butthurt:

^ Top  
  10. Sonus Educated

Sonus
    Wow. Who's pathetic?

Ya know, there's not wanting to hear words, and then there's not wanting to hear shrill vocals at high volume for hours on end. Any wisdom to be had is shot down to the bottom of the priority list. SHADDUUUUUUP!

^ Top  
  11. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    This is still a thing? Guys, come on, there's DA: I promo materials to shit all over, get on with the times.

^ Top  
  12. Cool name Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Cool name
    What the bleepity bleeping bleepy bleep is an Immersive Sim? I go away from gaming and the internet for a few months and I come back to find that bleep everywhere I go, like it's a bloody thingie.

Also, why is a new and shiny PR word or whatevs the bleep it is being used honestly and without sarcasm in mah Codex?

This place has gone to the dogs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Cool name Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Cool name

Weird. I never heard of it until, like, a week ago or so. O.O

I think it was some article about the Bioshock games or some such?

Maybe it's just me being an airhead as usual.

Anyways, thank you for the clarification. :hug:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Ahaha, good game, Drog.

Why are you all using adhominems while I call you retards? LOLOL

And if copying real-life is superior and more immersive than anything then we can agree that any setting that is fantastic or sci-fi is shit, right?
    Or it's only limited to perspective? Sounds like a very limited view you have there. In fact, I'd say you have a very limited intellect and possibly some mental disorder which makes you incapable of understanding something unless it's put through your eyes. Let me ask you this: What do you think about books written in 1st person? Are they better than the other books? Should be, they're more immersive, right?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  16. Declinator Arbiter

Declinator
    First person view does not necessarily change how much you interact with the game world. You can have the character do all those things in other perspectives also. You can order the character to look under the bed, look at the ceiling etc. as long as it is programmed in. This could be a simple "fog of war" type of thing where what is under the bed becomes visible after your character looks there.

The only thing that changes is how those things are presented to the player and the manner in which you interact with the world. I.e. do I just click the "throw x into wall with y force" option in an isometric game or do I actively swing my hand/move the mouse to throw it in your fantasy Oculus game.

Most of the actions you mention are of questionable benefit anyway. None of it really adds depth, just useless little things to do. I'm not interested in "fumbling around with mechanisms."

Aside from interaction, do these things add immersion? Maybe a little but not significantly.

For me immersion seems to be tied to how actively I need to control the game. In isometric games there are often moments where I need to wait for my character to move somewhere which breaks my immersion whereas in first person games I do that moving myself and the immersion remains intact.

On the other hand you have something like Pool of Radiance where movement is instant (tile by tile but doesn't need to be) so immersion remains, again, intact and then you have first person games with scripted sequences and animations which take your control and break the immersion.

So if you want immersion give me control whether it be in first person or otherwise. That said, immersion is not the be-all and end-all of gaming though it is a powerful thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    Sure, first person gameplay is vastly superior to the isometric one, which is why LOL and Dota 2 are the most popular games at the moment. Oh, wait...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. potatojohn Arcane

potatojohn
    FP real-time is worse for sim-y games because it's essentially impossible to realistically represent actions that take a long time. So you end up with games where felling trees takes five seconds and processed boards magically appear in your inventory. Then, to compensate, you need to make 1 real time second represent like 10 minutes of game time. It's just really ridiculous.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Osvir Learned

Osvir
    OP has never played with physical toys as a child I'm assuming, because that was mostly top-down view as I recall it.

^ Top  
  20. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    I suppose these were a favorite:
    [​IMG]

First-person immersive goodness with the most realistic graphics and most interactivity ever!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Osvir Learned

Osvir
    That is badass! You win FeelTheRads, I concede *bows*

I did mean action figures ofc, so I'll brush shrug off my previous post as a typo~

^ Top  
  22. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Isn't it obvious that this thread was split off from somewhere else? It was applied by a mod, yeah.

Show Spoiler
    The Thiaf thread

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Who can tell these days.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. CyberP Unwanted

Unwanted
    It is superior. VR will change the way we interact with games, and first person perspective will be the prevelant perspective. It will no longer be an argument when occulus/VR comes into play. You'll be able to pick that shit up, fumble around with mechanisms and drop/break small objects due to poor hand-eye coordination, throw things about with varied force, brofist people, and will actually be doing it yourself, in real time, rather than "execute command/click on this" of most Iso games. In first person you can see it up close, detailed. In first person you can see the fucking ceiling, or search under a bed with detail. You can see the smallest of objects such as a hidden switch behind a vase that opens up a secret area. It allows far deeper form of interaction than isometric or third person.

To argue otherwise is asinine.

And just because this point is being repeatedly explained to you fuck tards when it shouldn't need to be, this doesn't mean I think iso or any other genre/perspective is bad. FP just has greater potential.

Also it seems the lunatics themselves here run the asylum, great...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)