Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Issues and Impressions

oscar

Arcane
Played the game for about 20 minutes, crashed, I fiddled around with the resolution and it crashed again except now the game won't even start. Any ideas? I'm playing 1.8 (some people have said 1.7 works better).

Character creation was pretty sweet though the decision to go fully rotatable 3D is a bit of a head scratcher.

thesoup

Arcane
I tried playing it but the crashes turned me away. I wish I crashed to desktop. Oh no, I had to restart my damn PC.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Expect it (1.8) to crash about every 20 minutes. Since all combat encounters but one (which I had to reload a few times because of crashes) are short, that is bearable.

oscar

Arcane
Yeah saving frequently seems to be the only option. Really digging it so far in spite of the crashes. Intriguing setting, lots of skills (all of which seem useful) and very meaningful attributes. The devs even explicitly state that the game is designed for it too be impossible to be a Elder Scrolls-esque Jack of All Trades and complete all (or even most) quests in one playthrough. Precisely the sort of RPG I've been looking for.

Mechanics wise, it's pretty much how I imagine AoD will be (and it was Vince's interview that encouraged me to give it a try). Seems an awful shame for it to have been left in it's present state though when it seems to fit the criteria of a Codex "dream rpg" so well.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
There have been working links to allegedly more stable 1.7 on the Codex (none works right now though), I've downloaded it from there, but I haven't had time to test it before buying new hardware, when it got lost in transition. Maybe Shagnak will upload it (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061123125).

The fact that I've finished the game in spite of frequent crashes (and I'm not the most patient person out there) speaks volumes. It could have easily made a Codex Top RPG list if the carshes hadn't been so frequent.

thesoup

Arcane
What's Zero Sum doing nowadays anyway? They seem to be very persistent in ignoring pleas for the source code.

For some reason, I can't even run the game anymore. Guess I'll have to reinstall it.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
One of the programmers promised to release the source code. But as you point out. Suddenly started to ignore all the pleas. Maybe the other members of Zero Sum disagreed with him.

I don't know.

Shagnak

Shagadelic

oscar

Arcane
Ah, I hate those fights where you don't have a clue where the enemy is. That and having to rotate the camera too 40 different positions to try find one that lets you highlight the enemy. Got in a brawl with those guys at the Barrier Castle and the game crashed after me spending 10 turns trying to find where the damn last remaning asshole who was attacking me (or more likely some random NPC) was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom