Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate It's 2018. This is my first thread. I'm going to play BG2 for the first time.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It doesn't, but it doesn't add anything much of value either unless you're gonna heavily mod your game.
Ease of use features are great. BG2ee is also not unbalanced like bgee is. Additional writing is limited to new npcs as far as I know. Just ignore or kill them.

Which ease of use features are those? There are none that you can't get through mods. I use the EE's because EET is superior to BGT and the most updated versions of mods I used are for the EEs, but that's about it.
I don't really remember everything, but picking up objects from the ground in bulk, current action indicators on portraitsand instand loading times can't be added by mods.

There are quite a few more in regard to inventory managment and spellbooks. All I remember atm is higliting which party members can't use a specific item.

Nothing you can't live without, but it's nice.

Parabalus

Arcane
It doesn't, but it doesn't add anything much of value either unless you're gonna heavily mod your game.
Ease of use features are great. BG2ee is also not unbalanced like bgee is. Additional writing is limited to new npcs as far as I know. Just ignore or kill them.

Which ease of use features are those? There are none that you can't get through mods. I use the EE's because EET is superior to BGT and the most updated versions of mods I used are for the EEs, but that's about it.

No/faster loading screens and AoE loot.

Fake news, my reloads are instantaneous on both the old games and the EEs and have been since before EEs were out. You don't even get additional bugfixes I believe since CamDawg has been updating the fixpack.

AoE loot is true I suppose but fairly minor. The biggest improvement in the EEs is a better journal. That you will probably miss.

So on Bg1&2 non-EEs, the loading screen doesn't show up for you at all?

Nuclear Explosion

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Fake news, my reloads are instantaneous on both the old games and the EEs and have been since before EEs were out. You don't even get additional bugfixes I believe since CamDawg has been updating the fixpack.

AoE loot is true I suppose but fairly minor. The biggest improvement in the EEs is a better journal. That you will probably miss.

So on Bg1&2 non-EEs, the loading screen doesn't show up for you at all?

They do but they're instant, so same difference.

Parabalus

Arcane

Loostreaks

Learned
You need quite a few, most are lore friendly/enhance vanilla.
- TOB patch
- BG2 fixpack
- TOB fixpack
- Refinements ( for better high level classes/abilities)
- Ascension ( for better ending/villain battles+ one alteration)
- Virtue ( for better morality/reputation system)
- Sword Coast stratagems ( mostly AI)
- Spell revisions ( rebalances and improves most spells)
- Item revisions ( the same for gear)
- Banter packs ( adds a lot of lore friendly, good companion dialogue)
- Unfinished business ( restores some quests)
- Quest pack+G3 anniversary ( adds some fun content)
- Atweaks+BG2 tweaks
- Phaere ports ( really good alt portraits for followers)
- 1PPV410 ( this changes/improves paperdolls or something)

General order: Install first patches, then fixpacks, Refinements, Ascension, everything else, and then as Last any major/comprehensive tweaks ( Atweaks, BG2 tweaks, or something similar)

You can try a few companion mods, but they are not essential. ( usually Keto and Kelsey are considered best)

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Isn't Unfinished Buisness already implemented in EE? I'm not sure. And 1P? Don't confuse the guy. He wants to install TuTu. Spell it out for him.

Difficulty mods are really difficult. Not recommended for the beginner. But if you are up to it, it can actually make combat good.

Tigranes

Arcane
Orig v EE fight presumably isn't really what the OP is looking for

If this is your first time just go for it, I would say the original with the latest fixpack and widescreen mod are all you need. The game has so much content that you really shouldn't have to install portrait packs and quest mods and all that your first time.

Theldaran

Liturgist
What's the hate for EE, btw? The UI seems fine from the screenshots.

I really hate it when I play BG1EE (can't remember about 2), I lay the cursor over a spot and the cursor changes shape to Windows desktop cursor. Then I just can't interact further with that spot.

I mean, I can play if I will it, but the plain truth is that original BG is better technologically than the EEs. A real shame. Beamdog should return all the shekels and die in shame.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To OP: go and play BG1 again. Failing that, play BG2 for a bit and then be inspired to play BG1 again. If you can't get into the whole saga, then you might as well just be casually interested.

Ein Axt

Educated
Why do I need to replay BG1 again? Just to import my save? I'm fine without it.

Also, I'm playing on core difficulty and my party is just auto attacking everything and winning. I just got out into the marketplace. Do I need to up the difficulty settings or is the early game just easy?

The controls are pretty clunky, delays everywhere, and the pathing is... Something else.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Also, I'm playing on core difficulty and my party is just auto attacking everything and winning. I just got out into the marketplace.

O you summer boy...

Play the game whole, no excuses, and see if you don't die a single time. Also try to limit savescumming because if you try the encounters infinite times, it feels like a Schrödinger kitty alternate universe story.

Ein Axt

Educated
Well, I already reloaded a few times thanks to traps. I also died from that dwarven mage in the smithing room. He casted something that dealt damage over time. I don't know what it was or how to prevent it.

Feels like there's very little options in combat aside from spells.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Very little options in combat, aside from spells? No shit. If bashing things isn't your style, you can always go with a spell slinger.

Ein Axt

Educated
Currently running a kensei dual wield longsword plus campaign companions.

I'd suck 3 dicks for a TB mod for this game.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Currently running a kensei dual wield longsword plus campaign companions.

I'd suck 3 dicks for a TB mod for this game.

Can't help RTwP with all those trash mobs. That's why some warrior comes in handy.

I think that the Codex should agree on this much?

Also, BG would be the supreme incline if it was SRPG.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Is BG2 THAT combat heavy?
Are you sure that you played first part before? Because, if you actually paid attention, you would notice that BG games not even 80% combat heavy, they 99,9% combat heavy with little to non variety in dialogues and choices.

Feels like there's very little options in combat aside from spells.
Welcome to the "magical world" of BG games, where fighters even more boring and wizards suffer if they pick "trap" spell (spell that looks like useful from description, but in actual game it's shit or just useless). Also these "trap" spells also kill variety in wizard or sorcerer builds and in the end you end up with "Time stop" anyway.

Ein Axt

Educated
A speed slider on enemy turns with normal-fast-veryfast-instant would help, but yeah normal TB would be a slog even on the first dungeon.

I'm thinking of rerolling for a mage instead. Are pure mages any good? I want to be a spell slinging god.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Welcome to the "magical world" of BG games, where fighters even more boring and wizards suffer if they pick "trap" spell (spell that looks like useful from description, but in actual game it's shit or just useless). Also these "trap" spells also kill variety in wizard or sorcerer builds and in the end you end up with "Time stop" anyway.

Isn't that "magical world" of AD&D, though?

Also, to avoid shit spells, you just need to READ. Even if bad comes to worse, you can just erase them from your spellbook and put in something more useful. In BG2 you earn extra experience for doing this by the thousands. Yay.

Ein Axt: Spell slinging god sounds like BG2. Plenty of cool mage battles in there.

Ein Axt

Educated
Is BG2 THAT combat heavy?
Are you sure that you played first part before? Because, if you actually paid attention, you would notice that BG games not even 80% combat heavy, they 99,9% combat heavy with little to non variety in dialogues and choices.

It was a very long time ago, man. I can't even remember most of the companions other than Minsc and Imoen. I also remember not getting bored talking to a bunch of NPCs unlike most games nowadays.

Any tips on building a mage?

Theldaran

Liturgist
Tips on building a mage? Maximize Intelligence to make learning spells easier. Done and done.

You might want a bit of Charisma to get the most of quests. A bit of Strength to carry some luggage, a bit of Constitution to be tougher than a kitty, a bit of Dexterity to survive more, etc.

Keep in mind that in this system the rolls like 13-14 yield nothing most of the time. You need a good score, like 16+. Also dump stats are a thing.

Still you should know you won't be a great mage by the end of BG1. The goodness starts midway through BG2. They were just being faithful to the system they were adapting, really.

Also keep an eye on Clerics. Clerics can be a mean spell machine too, and they can don armour and be somewhat decent in hand-to-hand combat. Mage magic is cooler however, and the Cleric is more of a team player when surrounded by a good party.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Also cool stuff like character outline or screen going grey when paused. Also the zoom out feature when opening map of the area is pretty cool. None of these are in community mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom