Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've finally learned to appreciate Gothic.

Black Angel

Arcane
I'd say Gothic 1 would probably have the best end map
I actually like Gothic 1's final dungeon. Some of the puzzles were really cool, the level design is neat with some degree of interconnectivity between one area and the other, and the encounter design was fine for the most part. It was funny that we literally had to backtrack to get out of the dungeon to get a weapon that's capable of defeating the final miniboss, and then when we get back the encounter was respawned but completely different from the first time we were there. But I honestly didn't mind, since I saved up many potions of speed which allowed me to just rush to the final miniboss.

Viata

Arcane
Gothic 1 is the first game I played where wearing an armor truly made the difference. It was like I went from human to god as soon as I get my first armor.
I finished it last month, I had that bug where I couldn't kill NPCs(the one where whenever you knock down someone and try to kill him, he would just wake up and the killing animation wouldn't hit him) unless you used magic, but it still didn't kill the fun for me. What a lovely game.

Viata

Arcane
I actually like Gothic 1's final dungeon. Some of the puzzles were really cool, the level design is neat with some degree of interconnectivity between one area and the other, and the encounter design was fine for the most part. It was funny that we literally had to backtrack to get out of the dungeon to get a weapon that's capable of defeating the final miniboss, and then when we get back the encounter was respawned but completely different from the first time we were there. But I honestly didn't mind, since I saved up many potions of speed which allowed me to just rush to the final miniboss.
The last dungeon has a problem, though. If you never used a bow and have none, you are unable to finish it. The place has no bow, despite having some arrows here and there, and you need it to hit some puzzles, as magic doesn't work in them. Still a great game.

Black Angel

Arcane
The last dungeon has a problem, though. If you never used a bow and have none, you are unable to finish it. The place has no bow, despite having some arrows here and there, and you need it to hit some puzzles, as magic doesn't work in them. Still a great game.
I remembered using crossbow, though I can't remember if the place also have crossbows. That's dumb that you can't use magic, though.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It's pretty easy to get skill points in the first game though so its not a big deal.

Viata

Arcane
It's pretty easy to get skill points in the first game though so its not a big deal.
Sure, my point is the lack of a bow(and crossbow) in the end dungeon despite they require it to be able to pass some puzzles, though.

Deleted Member 16721

Gothic 1 is the best Gothic game IMO. While technically 2 is "better", Gothic 1 has so much charm and an exquisitely realized setting. Khorinis is sort of generic in comparison (yet still awesome.) Gothic 1 & 2 still have the greatest design of an open-world ever, where hard enemies exist and there's no level scaling, and only respawns between chapters in some specific places. They mastered those games and it shows the reason they are still around today pumping out top notch titles (I enjoyed Risen 2 a lot, even if the first Risen is the best one.)

I could write an essay on Gothic's design but suffice to say I'll leave it at this - modern RPG developers NEED to go back to Gothic 1 & 2, play them through thoroughly and take many, many notes. There is so much to learn from those games RPG design that it's staggering, yet no modern devs really study them like they should be. Kenshi's dev obviously did, but we need more worlds like Gothic and less like Skyrim (no offense to Skyrim, it's fun for what it is, but Gothic has mastered open-world design.) If any devs are reading this and haven't played those games, drop what you're working on and go do it, study and learn from the masters. Just my 2.

JDR13

Arcane

That's actually one of the few negatives in Gothic 1 along with all the attribute boosting potions, rings, etc. You can become a god by the last chapter. Gothic II with the expansion was much better balanced.

zapotec

Liturgist
Gothic 2 with Night of the Raven was a massacre for me, i had to restart after 25 hours :)

krilcebre

Learned
Risen 3 is the only PB game I couldn't get myself to play after a few hours. At least Risen 2, as shitty as it is, had some charm to it.
It's exactly the other way around.

I'll admit I didn't give 3 more chance, but I got pretty god damn bored the first few hours, and had some other games to play. Maybe I'll try it again sometime in the future.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Gothic 2 with Night of the Raven was a massacre for me, i had to restart after 25 hours :)
That's what I did on my first time, except I did it at the 30 hour mark. Gothic 2 never lets up. Even at the very end, I was struggling and I optimized my build to the best of my ability for maximum mana, I had 280 mana which wasn't enough to kill the highest level enemies in one full bar. I think that's sort of the appeal though, it's a harsh world out there and you're gonna have to face tough obstacles to come out on top. Progression in G2 is definitely the slowest of all PB games, although Gothic 2 is also probably the longest of all PB games, it took me 50 hours.
I'll admit I didn't give 3 more chance, but I got pretty god damn bored the first few hours, and had some other games to play. Maybe I'll try it again sometime in the future.
Eh, I don't think any PB game is exactly bad but Risen 3 is probably the second worst of all. The progression wasn't too good and it lacked the charm and humour of Risen 2, it really felt unfinished.
Gothic 2 > Gothic 1 = Elex = Risen > Risen 2 > Risen 3 > Gothic 3 is how I view the games.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For me its Gothic 2+NOTR>Elex>Gothic 1>Risen.

Elex has the most interesting world (instead of generic and cliched trope, they mixed 3 generic and cliched tropes: fantasy, science fiction and post apocalyptic settings and got a fascinating formula) with actually interesting lore. And a jetpack

Gothic 2 + NOTR is the most difficult and punishing, but also rewarding. The story is complete shit though. Dragons are the most lame enemies ever and undead dragon is cliche upon cliche upon layers of boredom (the Sleeper was much better). No factional conflict gets resolved in the course of the game, you need fan made mods for that. If it wins over Elex in my book its only because of brothel in Khorinis and a funny sex scene instead of unimaginative romances :) ).

Gothic 1 oozes with atmosphere and has creative prison setting, but the mechanics is still pretty unrefined. However it was a milestone, as opposed to more derivative sequels.

Risen is just derivative and boring to me. No redeeming features. The Caribbean setting would be fresh if they did not already use it in NOTR.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
2 > 1 > Elex > Risen 1 is law. All dissidents will be sacrificed in the name of the Schläfer.

Deleted Member 16721

You mean The Sleeper? Gothic 1 > ELEX > Risen 1 > Gothic 2 > Gothic 3 > Risen 2 > Risen 3. Don't @ me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
In what world is Elex a better game than Risen 1?? That game became too much of a meme for its own good.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How the fuck would any of you cunts have been able to play Gothic 1 and 2 when it actually came out. Because if it's not people "learning to love" Elex, Gothic, Risen etc. How the hell would you have been able to enjoy these games when they actually came out. Seems like modern games have really made you cunts fucking dumb

Steezus

Savant
Patron
You mean The Sleeper? Gothic 1 > ELEX > Risen 1 > Gothic 2 > Gothic 3 > Risen 2 > Risen 3. Don't @ me.

Only heathens use his non germanic name. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom