Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've finally learned to appreciate Gothic.

RapineDel

Augur
Risen 1 is a good game but it's mostly just a a reskin of Gothic 1/2 that doesn't really try to mix it up. That's fine, I'll always take more of Gothic and wish there were more copies but it also takes some of the poorer parts like a dull last act.

Elex doesn't get everything right (playing through it at the moment) but it tries to at least add to Gothic and build on it rather then be a straight up copy.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't like the system changes in Gothic 2 NOTR (except for backstep block) but I like all the extra content. G1 is still the king.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't have any problems with the gameplay and its difficulty, but i really have a hard time becoming interested in the Gothic series. They just don't do anything for me. In contrast i played and thoroughly enjoyed ELEX.

JDR13

Arcane
Gothic > Gothic 2 > Gothic 3 > Elex > Risen = Risen 3 > Risen 2
:nocountryforshitposters:
In what fucking parallel universe is Gothic 3 better than Elex?

In real life.

This is the real order: Gothic > Gothic 2 > Gothic 3 > Risen > ELEX > Risen 2 > Risen 3

ELEX is a return to form but it's still shit when compared to the highlights.

Maybe if you live in the Twilight Zone.

Gothic 3 is objectively PB's worst game. The only reason it's even halfway decent now is because of the community patch which PB had nothing to do with. Even with the patch, it still lags behind their other games in many aspects.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Elex had fresh ideas. Risen had none.

Yeah. What were those fresh ideas?

Gothic 3 is objectively PB's worst game.

Objectively as in your opinion!?

The only reason it's even halfway decent now is because of the community patch which PB had nothing to do with. Even with the patch, it still lags behind their other games in many aspects.

I agree however I would take Gothic 3 any-day over ELEX.

I don't have any problems with the gameplay and its difficulty, but i really have a hard time becoming interested in the Gothic series. They just don't do anything for me. In contrast i played and thoroughly enjoyed ELEX.

You should be castrated.

Risen 1 wasn't really that much of a highlight though.

First half of the game was on par with Gothic and the combat was good.

Anyway, let's consult other retards (aka user score on metacritic):
Gothic 2 (9.0) >> Gothic 1 (8.7) >>> Risen 1 (8.0) >> Gothic 3 (7.5) >>> ELEX (6.9) >>>> Risen 2 (5.7) > Risen 3 (5.7)

It looks like I'm not the only one thinking like this (and unfortunately the codex is retarded about this).

Just to be clear:
- For me Gothic will always be better than Gothic 2 (mostly because everything was tighter, including the story and the world)
- Gothic 3 is a broken game (I will not deny that) and I will probably never finish it but it has some good moments (the world is immense, exploration is great),
- Risen 1 first half was great and then everything turned to shit (there is no points in commenting further),
- ELEX is a step in the right direction when compared to Risen 2/3 but in the end it's just a bland product without redeeming qualities (broken combat, omnipresent jankiness, retarded story and so on).

Roxor started the ELEX meme on the codex and I see some people go along with the prank ... but the game is barely mediocre at best.
I just wish codexers would stop being retarded and put ELEX in the same category as the Gothic games. It's not.

Last edited:

Danikas

Arcane
I bought Gothic I & II about four or five years ago and I remember the first time I played it I walked out of the Old Camp, got killed by a fly, and thought "this shit is impossible". Let's just say I was even dumber then than I am now. Last night I returned to the game and despite only being about three hours in, I'm floored. I've visited all three camps (but have mostly done Old Camp quests), stabbed the fuck out of Mud, and gotten to Level 4 (but I've spent very few skill points so far). When I first got my 1hand training and then killed those flies outside the Old Camp, I felt so fucking cool. It's one thing to make your damage/accuracy better when you upgrade a weapon skill; completely giving you new animations/moves is going way beyond the call of duty for the genre. So yeah, now I'm really into it.

TL;DR I was blind but now I can see

JDR13

Arcane
Objectively as in your opinion!?.

No, objectively as in anyone who has played all their games and isn't being a total fanboy can see that. I'm talking about the game that PB gave us not the final experience after the community patch. Take away the patch, and it's easily the worst game they've put out. It's really not even debatable. Prior to the community patch, it was nigh unplayable.

Even with the patch, it's still pretty janky, and the combat is still atrocious. Worst of all, it has subpar exploration due to so many areas being empty and unfinished. Exploration is the primary reason I play PB's games, and that aspect is severely lacking in G3.

Anyway, let's consult other retards (aka user score on metacritic):
Gothic 2 (9.0) >> Gothic 1 (8.7) >>> Risen 1 (8.0) >> Gothic 3 (7.5) >>> ELEX (6.9) >>>> Risen 2 (5.7) > Risen 3 (5.7)

It looks like I'm not the only one thinking like this (and unfortunately the codex is retarded about this).

Yeah let's use Metacritic because we all know how accurate that is. :roll:

Of course you chose to use the tard-scores rather than the metascores because Gothic 3 has the lowest metascore of any PB games.

- ELEX is a step in the right direction when compared to Risen 2/3 but in the end it's just a bland product without redeeming qualities (broken combat, omnipresent jankiness, retarded story and so on).

Roxor started the ELEX meme on the codex and I see some people go along with the prank ... but the game is barely mediocre at best.
I just wish codexers would stop being retarded and put ELEX in the same category as the Gothic games. It's not.

You sound like you're trying really hard to convince people you're not autistic

JDR13

Arcane
As far as Gothic 1 vs Gothic 2, it's my experience that most people prefer whichever one they played first. As for myself, I played them in order, but I think Gothic 2+NotR is the best overall experience PB has given us.

I need to emphasize the "+NotR" part though, because Gothic 2 is a very different game without the add-in. I'd put Gothic 1 ahead of vanilla Gothic 2.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Gothic > Gothic 2 > Gothic 3 > Elex > Risen = Risen 3 > Risen 2
:nocountryforshitposters:
In what fucking parallel universe is Gothic 3 better than Elex?
In what parallel universe Risen is worse then Gothic 3, Elex and equel to Risen 3? I can't even.
Don't know. I see the opinion of Risen all over the place. But I guess to each his own. Maybe I could have been nicer in my reply or be nicer in general on here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom