Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've played Return to Krondor...

covr

Prophet
Patron
...and it's fucking terrible. Two days of downloading (hello Poland!) are wasted.
First, game is slow. Main character is moving very slowly, and it's annoying. There is no "run" option, no "speed up" or something like that. Also, main menu is animated, and those animations are non-skippable.
Second, the is no subtitles. All the dialogues are spoken, and slow as hell.
I' am very butthurt about this game, but I've played it only 10 minutes, so I could be wrong.
:x

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've not played RtK but it seems to me your mistake is not playing Betrayal at Krondor instead.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Betrayal at Krondor is one of my favourite cRPG's. But RtK is one big WTF. I don't even uninstalled this crap, because I don't want to touch it.

bat_boro

Arcane
Forget about Krondor, but I see you're from Lublin or whatever. Could you please tell me what's the name of the football team in your town. Would it be per chance "Olimpia"?

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I remember really enjoying Return when I was younger. I had not yet played Betrayal though, so who can say what I would think of it now. Discouraging to hear things like this.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
"Olimpia" was once in the 1st division, but it was "Olimpia Poznań", I think. Not sure whether Lublin's Olimpia had a similar success.

Legia's logo was actually stolen from Lublinianka, though.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I was born in Rzeszów, with is about 8 kilometers from Boguchwała, so don't laugh at my local team ;) Also, everybody knows that Kamax Kańczuga "rule!".

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Stop hijacking the thread you stupid Pollacks... oops, never mind. :oops:

On the topic: I agree, RtK was a huge disapointment, i have a box copy - one of the worst purchases i ever made.
You may want to try Betrayal in Antara - i never finished it but at least the engine is a slighlty upgraded BaK so it will be more playable to you.

Erebus

Arcane
I didn't exactly hate the game (as opposed to the novel adaptation), but I didn't really like either, and I gave up on it fairly easily the first time I felt stuck.

I don't remember the details very well, but I know I was disappointed by how little it reminded me of BaK.

Helton

Arcane
I used to love the demo when I was little. I finally played the game and it was def a disappointment, yes. Good ending sequence though. Almost made it all worth it from what I recall.

Suchy

Arcane
covr said:
...and it's fucking terrible. Two days of downloading (hello Poland!) are wasted.
First, game is slow. Main character is moving very slowly, and it's annoying. There is no "run" option, no "speed up" or something like that. Also, main menu is animated, and those animations are non-skippable.
Second, the is no subtitles. All the dialogues are spoken, and slow as hell.
I' am very butthurt about this game, but I've played it only 10 minutes, so I could be wrong.
:x
You can run moran, ctrl + click.
Game delivers in terms of story and has good TB combat. It has nothing on Betrayal at Krondor, but it's definitely worth a playthrough.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Sergiu64 said:
You could powergame it a little by grinding random house encounters till you get magic weapons and enchanted armors plus bunch of levels.

Yeah, and those houses have indefinite respawn rates, so basically you can abuse this to level your starting characters (the sorceress and Jimmy) to the max in the first chapter :lol:

That said, it was a nice game with a well-written story, intelligent use of the pre-defined characters and a somewhat innovative turn-based combat system (I've never seen its battle effects system in any other game so far).
Some more questionable design elements were the fixed camera, which sometimes made the exploration and combat too tedious, and the issue that you couldn't cast a spell if your hands weren't empty. At first, I'd equipped the sorceress with her staff and was wondering all the time why the hell the "cast spell" option was always grey. Then, by pure chance, I removed the staff and forget to equip another weapon, and suddenly I could throw fireballs around. Hehe, this was really a combined <intelligence>, <luck> and <perception> check inside the game :lol:

Andhaira

Arcane
RtK is one of my favorite crpg's of all time. Play it all the way tot he end.

Its got the best haunted village section out of any game.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
The chatter in this thread has me kind of interested in playing the game again.I don't often have the chance to revisit pre-Fallout titles. Maybe it's time I did my first Let's Play...

Suchy

Arcane
Mister Arkham said:
The chatter in this thread has me kind of interested in playing the game again.I don't often have the chance to revisit pre-Fallout titles. Maybe it's time I did my first Let's Play...
I wanted to do a LP of this, but decided it would be too much hassle. No subtitles, so you can't make dialogue screenshots and retyping everything would be too much pain in the ass.

Andhaira

Arcane
The best part was the vampire infested village.

Ah, the memories. I actually played and beat this game TWICE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom