Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance Jagged Alliance 2, Temple of Elemental Evil & Silent Storm Retrospectives

Which game has the best tactics?

• Jagged Alliance 2

• Silent Storm

• Temple of Elemental Evil

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Red Knight

Erudite
This is a small thing that a lot of native speakers get wrong, but something to keep in mind is that people get nauseated, things are nauseous. :)
Are you trying to criticize JA2 here?
ICD3bXS.png

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This thread is more than two years old. Good to see my tastes haven't changed a bit.

Still playing the exact same games, like I've been doing since 1997.

Swigen

Arbiter
Heard a lot of good things about this series. Just noticed Jagged Alliance: Rage is only $20 on steam, think I’m ready to take the plunge and see what all the fuss is about.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heard a lot of good things about this series. Just noticed Jagged Alliance: Rage is only $20 on steam, think I’m ready to take the plunge and see what all the fuss is about.

no, don't start there. play jagged alliance 2 first, then use that as a bar to measure the other games with. you can get it on gog or steam

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Don't. Each game after Jagged Alliance 2 wasn't done by Sirtech and is just shit. Play JA2 instead.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
This is a small thing that a lot of native speakers get wrong, but something to keep in mind is that people get nauseated, things are nauseous. :)
Are you trying to criticize JA2 here?
ICD3bXS.png

JA2 was developed by Sir-Tech Canada. The new-modern use of "nauseous" is what was previously "nauseated" is now acceptable as "nauseous" due to the new definition/use applying to things making one (feel) nauseous.

Since Asian countries prefer Canadian teachers for English over Americans, British, and other dialects that don't matter, this entire situation makes sense. You're welcome. :M

Last edited:

The Red Knight

Erudite
Death anims. Giggle with glee as the head of an enemy gets shot off in a fountain of blood, or as blood spurts out their back as they fly backwards after being bursted!
Have you considered using a gif or two to showcase that better?
YxlgNdk.gif

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Have you considered using a gif or two to showcase that better?

Yes, I have. However, there is only so much time in the day and I'm just one person. I've taken more care in my screencaps than any other blogger I know of, so I'm not going to feel bad for not including animated gifs, too.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
this thread made me want to play ja2.
stratishitta wasnt scaling the game but rather placing it in a 1080p container which isnt viable.
1.13 menus were lagging horridly and lat tab = freeze.. do i really have to vm this or is there a way?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
stratishitta wasnt scaling the game but rather placing it in a 1080p container which isnt viable.
What? No it doesn't. Unless you have a >1080p monitor and it somehow doesn't work properly on those? It's the one thing I can't check, but I have a hard time believeing it wouldn't just scale up like it does with lower resolutions on my 1080p monitor.

Efe

Erudite
its a 1080 standard monitor. game window is 1080 with 640*480 or 800*600 or whatever game placed in center.
text is like ants crawling on screen
why would i lie?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Odd. Doesn't sound like a Stracciatella problem, though. Sounds more like hardware scaling or driver scaling issue (not "on"). Yes, the viewport should scale to fullscreen size regardless of the resolution set in Stracciatella.

Egosphere

Arcane
Since this has ss in the title, does anyone know if the first mission changes depending on the class that you pick for your character? I've started a new playthrough recently, and I got a mission which I don't remember playing.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
its a 1080 standard monitor. game window is 1080 with 640*480 or 800*600 or whatever game placed in center.
text is like ants crawling on screen
why would i lie?
I dunno. Stracciatella doesn't play well with screenshot utilities for some reason, but this is approximately what my 1920x1200 screen looks like with the game resolution set to 800x600 (with black bars on either side but otherwise scaled up to fill the screen):
ja22019-11-2013-37-4668jx4.png

ja22019-11-2013-37-57nfjo4.png
Like Lilura says, it's probably an issue with driver scaling.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I had similar problems with Strat too; it just didn't look quite right. 1.13 did.
Have you tried with dgVoodoo (I didn't)? It has worked wonders on some games from the same era.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had similar problems with Strat too; it just didn't look quite right. 1.13 did.
Have you tried with dgVoodoo (I didn't)?

can you detail what kind of hardware and software configuration you have? Strat works fine for me. i'm running at 1600 by 900 pixels with an RX 570 as my GPU with mostly up to date drivers and win 10

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I could listen to the laptop guy background music all day. Fits to every situation.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Have you tried with dgVoodoo (I didn't)?

can you detail what kind of hardware and software configuration you have? Strat works fine for me. i'm running at 1600 by 900 pixels with an RX 570 as my GPU with mostly up to date drivers and win 10

Monitor with 1920x1080 native resolution and a lowly Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom