Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance Jagged Alliance: Rage!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
It's not like anyone could unrape JA "franchise" at this point; might as well see if there is a game here.
This might have been in "neat, but flawed" -category if developers weren't foolish enough to call the curse (and wrath of fanboys) upon themselves.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
rating_rage.gif
the thread
rating_rage.gif

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
-At least this game models bullets so that misses could hit other units.
-AKs jam ludicrously easily
-Levels are very small and seem to offer only couple corridors on which to close on enemies.
-I really hope that there will be some storage system because inventory is very limited and mercs need to carry water, tools, medical items and crafting junk in addition of weapons.
edit. Game does offer this at resting locations.
-Wounded enemies surrender now and then.
edit. Low level enemies seem to surrender because their sides casualties too.
-I like overwatch system on which you use APs to adjust cone of fire.
-No bullet sponge enemies so far, but I'm afraid that those will come at some point.
edit2.
-Weapon jams and need to reload affects enemies too.
edit3.
-locational crits (head,legs) have change to activate on any shot. So for example leg injury isn't some magic that activates only when attack is aimed at said bodypart.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
I'm at the point where I got 3rd squadie (I chose doctor Q)
-Inventory management could be a whole lot better. After enemies on the map have been neutralized player can pick up loot from every container and body, but JA2 did this oh so much better via map screen.
-As far I can tell player can't return to cleared mission map. So you better to remember to mouse over every possible container before leaving.
-Game is very linear. Every mission map of the current act must be done before you can progress to new area
-For some obscure reason game gives you lot different close combat weapons. CS weapons don't deteriorate like armours and firearms.
bq-5c63fb47a5652.png
-Merc quirks seem to be easily manageable so far. For example Grunty will take damage if he gets too excited, but, like for some other Germans, commanding imaginary troops alleviates that risk. Also Vicki's claustrophobia hasn't been a problem yet.
-Levels have gotten bigger and actually have quite nice verticality.
-Though you usually can clear level by sneaking into high ground and sniping foes from there. Some levels add a time limit element so you can't camp too much, but those can be bypassed by killing right enemy unit.
-Some armour and HP bloat starts to be present. Might be worse on higher difficulties (I'm doing normal playthrough now.)
edit.
-Enemy AI seem to be prone of friendly fire incidents and self harm via grenades. On the plus side they can use medical items that they have to cure bleeding so "scratch & hide" -tactics are not always reliable.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
It happened:
Rebel base defense mission
-Game introduces drugged super soldiers which get berserk free move & attack when they take damage. This works on player's, allied force and enemy turn; for same unit.
-Ally AI is best described as suicidal stupid. 2 rebels who made it only survived because they were doing OW at the back at the base where there were no enemies close.
Neither of above points are worst of it.
See the game has unresolved bug where game sometimes freezes on AI turn. Which I encountered for the first time on that level.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/463170/discussions/2/1743353798897179387/
Game is stuck in AI turn

Status: Rarely happened during testing and we thought it was fixed

Possible reason: AI is trying to make a move which fails

Possible solution: Load an older save game and play differently so that the AI makes other choices
:argh::argh::argh::argh:/:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

I will continue my playthrough, but I expect for things to get worse.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Fortunately I've only seen that bug just on that one level.

I need to gather will to do inventory day for that area where my screenshot above is.
Game uses "spawn endless waves of enemies" -trick to force you to assault. Gotta check all those 30+ bodies and containers.
Game is suddenly really stingy on water.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Not related to this particular game, but looks like Ian Currie is doing freelance these days after leaving Turbine: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ian-currie-1972a71/

Even more unrelated: was there anything known about this cancelled project Dragon Alliance?

Executive Producer
Strategy First

Dates Employed Sep 2001 – Jan 2003
Employment Duration 1 yr 5 mos

Lead team of 12 working on detailed design and prototype of Dragon Alliance (unreleased strategy/RPG title). Produced Jagged Alliance Gold.

Only thing I can find, from a 1999 interview: http://www.jaggedalliance.de/interview/ian2.shtml

Is there a bow in JA 2?

As in bow and arrow? No - that's in Dragon Alliance... :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom