Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance Jagged Alliance: Rage!

Vityaz

Augur
Is there some modding guide for JA2?

To further expand on my post above:

Offical 1.13 (stable, but old-ish): http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/4218339/FrontPage

Dev builds of 1.13 (Constantly updated. But they have the newest features like drivable jeeps, Intel gathering, dynamic interactions/opinions between mercs, fortifications etc.): https://onedrive.live.com/?id=13A6926EAC52083!202&cid=013A6926EAC52083

For dev builds, I usually just grab the latest version and that's it.

There's also some submods like the Instruments of Violence which add shitton of new weapons and gear but they usually work only with certain or older versions.

Lemme know if you need anymore help.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
You guys need to stop reacting as if Jagged Alliance 2 were one of the greatest computer games of all time. Sure, it was quite a good game. But it's no Star Control 2, SMAC or Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.

You are very lucky that JA2 has a small but hardcore fanbase and is getting a remake at all. Think of all of the good computer games that have now been forgotten.

Last edited:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
6. Very Small Maps
If you have a claustrophobic disorder, take a huge turn around this game.

Original sketch, single mission tactical map, tutorial mission.
iu

Rage, optimized and enhanced tac map:
iu

m_s0

Arcane
Well, The Bear's Pit is largely ignoring the game, and they really did try for Flashback. Yeah, that's mostly due to marketing and lack thereof for Rage, but it's telling no one in one of the most passionate communities on the Internet has bothered to make a single post-release post about it thus far.

In keeping with the metaphor, they're now pouring concrete over the desecrated (many times over) grave of Jagged Alliance.

It won't work if you're not serious about it, <insert current JA IP owner>. When will you learn?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm still confused why did they gave Ivan the "tank" role, the descriptions and portraits of the old games never game me the impression that he's supposed to be some kind of tough burly action hero. If it was Grizzly or Steroid, I'd understand. The other characters are exaggerated too, but at least have some basis in the old JA games. Ivan's new role came out of nowhere.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Disshit.
Flashfail playtime: 37 min. Disfail playtime: 8 min.
Why can't a developer, to save his life, copy JA2 ?
Let us create an alter ego. Give us >30 not 7 mercs. Keep it turn based. Don't use Disney color palette....
I refuse to rage. Disshit doesn't deserve my rage.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/12/jagged-alliance-rage-review/

Wot I Think - Jagged Alliance: Rage

In Jagged Alliance: Rage, I pause before taking the final shot in each mission. If you were to examine my face during these moments, noting the hollow look in my eyes as my cursor hovers over a button labelled ‘Do it’, you might suspect some crisis of conscience. Perhaps I’ve started to doubt the cause my small team of mercenaries has been fighting for? Maybe killing hundreds of nameless soldiers in exchange for cash is part of the problem? Nope. That’s not it. Far from it.

What holds my trigger finger is the knowledge of what comes after I’ve taken the shot. Just like its predecessors from the 90s, JA: Rage is a game of two halves. It’s a turn-based strategy affair in which your small team of elite, grizzled mercenaries trudges through a hot jungle. They take on entire armies of laughably evil bad guys while making quips about how good they are at doing exactly that. But it’s also a game about ensuring your mercs remain armed to the teeth over the course of what will be a long and trying campaign.

And so once you’ve defeated the enemy force in a mission, you’ll need to start looting. This is a really important part of the process and it’s also a real low point for the game. Looting in JA: Rage is an extremely laborious process and one that’s begging to be replaced by a post-mission screen that collects all of the various items and ammunition you’ve missed in one place.

Instead, you’re forced to track down each of the soldiers you’ve killed and root through their pockets one-by-one, swapping items back and forth as you manage a very limited amount of inventory space across each member of your squad. You’ll no longer need to stand next to an enemy to loot them, but you do need to individually click on each and every fallen soldier across a map that you’ve likely been fighting through for the last half an hour or more. Some of those enemies, by the way, will now be hidden in the fog of war. Rage does not do much to help you out here.

This might not have been a huge problem if the game didn’t absolutely require you to be thinking about your inventory at all times. It turns out everything in Jagged Alliance: Rage is on the brink of falling apart, including the two mercs you’ll select for your initial squad. Fans of the original games will recognise the names here (Fidel, Grunty, Raven etc.), although each of them looks well past their heyday at this point. It’s been 20 years since the events of the first Jagged Alliance.

Unfortunately, this idea is also somewhat mirrored by Rage itself. Combining turn-based strategy with a game that emphasises survival is a really interesting thought, but across the board, everything just feels a bit outdated here. A bit broken.

Let’s say you’re running with fan favourite Ivan Dolvich; he’s built like a tank and is meant to be used as such, smashing through the enemy’s front lines and drawing their fire away from others in your squad. Each merc has different amounts of health and may prefer certain weapon types, but there’s also a bunch of other traits to consider when selecting your team. Ivan, for example, can use his large frame to act as a human wall and provide cover for his own teammates. But the flip side to this, and potentially the more interesting mechanic to consider, is that he’s also too big to stay out of sight unless he’s actually lying down on the floor.

As well as ammo, a merc like Ivan is going to be blitzing through your bandages, first aid kits and, oh, you’ll want to keep a sharp object in his pack to remove any shrapnel. Rage’s jungle island setting also means that heat plays a big role too. Your team will quickly become dehydrated unless regularly supplied with bottles of water (clean is preferable, but they’ll drink dirty water and risk infection if needed). If one of your mercs does become infected, or dehydrated, or full of shrapnel, their performance in combat will suffer as a result.

You’ll need to keep your team well stocked with ammunition, of course, but also repair their weapons and armour with parts you find on the field. If you can’t repair them, they’ll need to be replaced outright.

Some have other issues to consider too. Ivan is now an alcoholic and requires a steady flow of alcohol to keep him in fighting shape. Others may be more likely to bleed, or have a higher chance of becoming infected. You can’t afford to skimp on looting at all because there’s just so much bloody stuff you’ll need to stay operational.

Jagged Alliance has always featured a good dollop of management between its combat and, on paper, adding survival elements to that formula doesn’t sound like a bad idea. But in practice, it’s far more chore than challenge. Imagine the Expendables, but after every blazing gunfight, Sly Stallone and his pals have to meticulously take stock of how many dirty water bottles they’ve got shoved into their pockets.

The combat itself can be punishing. Although you’ll enter most missions undetected, it’ll only take one guard to alert the entire map to your presence. You do expand your squad as the campaign progresses, but you’ll be starting the game with just a pair of surprisingly under-equipped mercs and, in most cases, find yourself heavily outnumbered in these encounters. Because of this, I found that stealth played a huge part in my approach to most missions. Much of the game felt like a puzzle to be worked out as I slowly weaselled my way through each map, quietly removing enemy patrols. Entering combat more loudly often felt like a failure on my part, as it almost always resulted in unnecessary injuries and wasted ammunition.

In fact, I can trace most of my success back to a crossbow I found on a table in one of the very first missions. I could have easily missed it, but I’m glad I didn’t, as it proved to be one of the very few reliable ways of killing enemies at range without raising the alarm. I’m not sure if this weapon was intended to be as powerful as it is, but when paired with the mercenary Shadow, it guarantees a silent kill with every hit, no matter the hit points of the target in question. It’s also one of the only weapons that doesn’t deteriorate over time, and you can retrieve any ammunition you fire as long as it hits. I think I killed about half of the enemies in Rage with this weapon alone.

This may have felt a little cheesy on my part, but engaging in actual combat isn’t much fun in JA: Rage. The enemy decision-making is some of the weakest I’ve seen in a modern tactical turn-based game, with soldiers who tend to either rush en-masse towards the player’s position or ignore the threat entirely and stand around waiting to be picked off. The result of this is that gunfights often feel grossly mismatched. Revealing yourself too early can see your squad being steamrolled by a dozen enemy soldiers, or alternatively, the game bugs out and leaves you free to pick off the entire camp as you please. Neither outcome feels all that satisfying to play through.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen a developer try to recapture the magic of Jagged Alliance and I hope it’s not the last, but I found Rage pretty hard work to enjoy. Much like the mercs themselves, for every positive trait it may offer, there tends to be some frustrating problem to deal with too. The combat is rarely all that enjoyable and a game that requires so much inventory management should do so much more to make that process appeal to the player. It’s hard to recommend Rage over something like Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden this month, even if you’re desperate to see this series make a proper comeback. Sorry Ivan, maybe you should have stayed in retirement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom