Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

James Ohlen leaves Bioware after 22 years

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
His book is funded in a day on Kickstarter:

How depression from AAA development made him decided to tabletop RPGs: https://www.arcanumworlds.com/blog/2019/4/16/odyssey-kickstarter-funded

THERE AND BACK AGAIN
Or Why I Decided to Write Roleplaying Books

james_hobbiton.jpg

“When your hobby becomes your career, you want to spend your spare time doing something else.”

It was a year ago and I was miserable, despite being the head of the design department for BioWare – one of the world’s premier RPG developers. Twenty years ago, it was different. I loved my job so much that I worked 100 hours a week – not because I had to, but because I wanted to. I worked with a small team of writers and artists to create design documents that would morph into a game within just a couple of years.

In a period of five years, I was the lead designer on Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic. But those days are long gone. Video games now take five years, cost hundreds of millions of dollars, and require teams of thousands to build. My job went from doing hands-on design for the story, the levels, and the mechanics to overseeing a massive department of designers and writers. It wasn’t as fun as it used to be. I didn’t feel fulfilled because I didn’t feel that my passions and talents were being utilized. Despite my position and the influence that came with it, I was depressed.

Which got me to thinking – how do I get back to doing what I love? What if I could return to what I did decades ago, but apply it to the pen and paper games that inspired Baldur’s Gate? It would be a way to give back to the community that inspired my career. Most of all, it would be fulfilling work.

From the age of 11 to 22, I put in an average of 50 hours a week into my role-playing game obsession. Doing the math, I think that means I put 30,000 hours into the hobby. It wasn’t wasted time as the game helped me through some of the hardest times of my life, introduced me to lifelong friends and was the gateway to my career as a game designer.

I thought I’d retired from game-mastering a few years after launching my first video game. When your hobby becomes your career, you want to spend your spare time doing something else. However, the 5th edition of the world’s greatest RPG pulled me back in. Not only was it the best edition of the game yet, but it was an excuse to hang out with my friends every weekend. Playing the game made me want to contribute to the pen and paper version in some manner. This book is that desire come to life.

Thank you so much for backing Odyssey of the Dragonlords. Your support means a great deal to me, personally.

— James Ohlen, 2019

J1M

Arcane
"The most fun I had with this company was back in the late 90s and early 00s"

*stays an additional 15 years*
Hey, money is money. Plus the safe of mind in knowing that you're probably not in danger of being fired anytime soon.

I've been getting into 5e, I'd read the sourcebook just for kicks.
Bioware is basically the only employer in that industry in Edmonton. Switching employers means relocating his family. No surprise he probably waited until his kids were in college.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Writing books for weirdos is somewhat lot better than being molested by Bilgbtware devs of present reality. Its beyond ones human ability to write game dialogues for lesbian dragon or transsexual dawi.

Yosharian

Arcane
Writing books for weirdos is somewhat lot better than being molested by Bilgbtware devs of present reality. Its beyond ones human ability to write game dialogues for lesbian dragon or transsexual dawi.
Jokes and/or edgy commentary aside, are there any decent 'adventure books' for Pathfinder or 5E? Well mainly Pathfinder since that's what I GM, but...

I had heard that Rise of the Runelords was a very good adventure, and blow me it's the most awful trash ever. I'd really like to run a game where I don't have to create everything from scratch.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Goddamn I hate greek mythos vibe. Let there be my dream RPG about politics in, let's say, Waterdeep, or other D&D megapolises.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom