Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Japanese Fruitiness

So why do Japanese games depict men in such a feminine looking way ? is it

• Total voters

Oracsbox

Proper Japanese dudes
maxresdefaultjpg-0d6870_765w.jpg
Toshiro Mifune

pip-g-zatoichi.jpg

God tier Zatoichi played by Shintaro Katsu

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's not like portrayal of ideal MALE as a young, clean, and athletic with flowing hair is exclusive to modern Japan/Korea. Looking at Donatello's David and portrayal of Endymion should give you a good idea of this. You can go as recent as Tolkien's Elves to show that being young is considered the ideal in western portrayal of MALE beauty.

Remember that physically a man is at his peak on his 20s to early 30s.

Many portrayal of older-looking men in media also meant to portray them as more realistic and down-to-earth instead of being a showcase of how an ideal man should look like.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And in case of Toshiro Mifune, the most important part is that he was very arguably the greatest actor of all time. He was a dramatic actor playing serious roles, he wasn't cast out of need for sex appeal (while sex appeal is almost certainly a major concern for any video game protagonist because money).

Last edited:

Oracsbox

It occurs to me I could just have easily created a poll called
Why do Western games and media depict so many women in such a masculine or androgynous way ? Is it

1 Westerners are all faggots
2 So into dudes they make the women look like dudes
3 They're confused
4 Very confused
5 This poll is sexist
6 All of the above
7 Its a political thing I blame SJW's
8 You all need to burn "Kingcomrade"
ba25b1cf65f3b435076a5c7cbe200516.jpg

Terminator-6-Mackenzie-Davis.jpg

john-wick-2-ruby-rose-ares.jpg

the-last-of-us-part-2-ellie-church.jpg

janey-icon.jpg

Machocruz

Arcane
Don't get it twisted. Women are the same all over the world. What works for entertainment and what get's pussies dripping in reality are often two separate things. Masculine looking men like Toshiro Mifune and Solid Snake absolutely appeal to alot of Japanese women when it comes down to brass tacks.

Last edited:

Risewild

Arbiter
So what is it with the Japanese making dudes look like strange ladies
Cloud-Strife-final-fantasy-vii-36896643-600-600.jpg

Adam_And_Eve.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I feel like I need to mention that usually girly guys in japanese stuff is common, it is also not that predominant unless it is aimed at girls.
For example, you post Cloud from Advent Child, but I should mention that other male characters from the movie are manlier:
Barret:
b25865f32e22f5b4d2465ba778943af3.gif
Cid Highwind:
HollowBogusAndeancondor-small.gif

It seems that in Nier Automata all characters are girly... I never played it but a quick google search only shows girly characters. They definitely know what type of audience they want.

Raiden is from the Metal Gear games, it is the only girly main character in the series. Usually you have Big Boss or one of his clones:
f67a3f_5444178.jpg

Yeah, Japanese make girly men on stuff. But (unless the product is aimed at girls) it is usually just a minority in the product. There is one or two girly and then the rest of the characters are rough, or ugly, or muscular, with unkept/large facial/body hair, or "any other"/all of the "manly" traits.

Risewild

Arbiter
FF7 Advent Children change Barrett quite a bit. In original FF7 posters and images he's a black guy (which is why I never understand the uninterest of black cosplayers toward this character).
He's still black in Advent Child.
finalfantasy7advenchildren46.jpg

Risewild

Arbiter
Look at the movie, he's not black black, more like mulatto or quadroon.
I think most of it is because of the "picture" settings for the movie, all characters look way more pale than they should. The official Barret action figure is this one:
row_458.jpg

Which has a much more similar color to the actual game model of Barret:
NPtNxtH.jpg

hexer

Anyone else noticed how feminine women like masculine men while masculine women like feminine men?
Not to mention how many lesbians are pretty masculine and are attracted to women, while gay men are feminine and are attracted to men.
It seems many people are sexually attracted to those who have features they themselves think they lack.

mogwaimon

Magister
I think most of it is because of the "picture" settings for the movie, all characters look way more pale than they should. The official Barret action figure is this one:
row_458.jpg

NPtNxtH.jpg

Ugh, movie Barret looks more like Tyrone than Barret. Seriously, movie Barret is basically a different guy, face looks barely anything like original Barret
latest

They also prettied up Cid a bit in the film, though he still looks like Cid. On that note, Big Boss/Solid Snake has been subtly gussied up a little over the years too, looking just a little bit less intense than his MGS1 incarnation. Think it's because somewhere along the line they made his eyes a little larger than they were before, but maybe it's just my autism flaring up. Japan can't resist their pretty boys, man.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fashion is in the eye of the beholder. Men used to wear actual high heels, not just boots ala cowboy.
l0wZwrv.jpg

Raiden would be like a modern european monarch if he had a beard and stache.

Latro

Arcane
row_458.jpg

NPtNxtH.jpg

Ugh, movie Barret looks more like Tyrone than Barret. Seriously, movie Barret is basically a different guy, face looks barely anything like original Barret
latest

They also prettied up Cid a bit in the film, though he still looks like Cid. On that note, Big Boss/Solid Snake has been subtly gussied up a little over the years too, looking just a little bit less intense than his MGS1 incarnation. Think it's because somewhere along the line they made his eyes a little larger than they were before, but maybe it's just my autism flaring up. Japan can't resist their pretty boys, man.
movie barret = retarded gangbanger, has 12 children from 9 different women somehow
game barret = Mr.T but less silly, you can actually believe he's a leader and responsible father

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There still appears to be quite a bit of confusion about the difference between having your job be "serious actor" or "admiral" and when your job is "to sell sex to chicks."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom