Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Jay Wilson Apologizes for "Fuck That Loser" Comment

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I don't have a problem with the desired goal of Diablo's gameplay. Honestly, there are times when I am too tired to follow anything more complex than clicking on dudes till they explode. It actually gives me time to mentally unwind.

For me, Diablo, Torchlight, etc all fill that niche nicely.

On an unrelated note, if anyone wants to harass me on GW2, I'll be playing on Sorrow's Furnace.

EG

Nullified
To be honest, I don't really get the butthurt. Someone calls someone's game shit, the other someone tells the guy to fuck off because he wants to defend his team. He apologises for the comment later on.

What does it matter anymore, the guy apologised, who gives a fuck. Or maybe you people are just pissed because you actually spent your money on the game even though you knew about all the changes and the always-online requirement and are now trying to make yourselves feel better through some weird catharsis in which you yell "no-life" and "fat" at some guy. Good luck with all that, I'm sure spending hours of the day raging about this will get back all the time you wasted on the game.

We like entertainment.

Stabwound

Arcane
There is no real butthurt. It's just that Jay Wilson is a fuckhead and, being the lead designer and PR guy, is the one blamed for ruining Diablo 3. If it was virtually anyone else no one would have given a fuck.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Ruining Diablo 3? is that the same game that sold 10mil copies? Nah, I believe D3 is doing just fine, and I'm one of the few here who likely didn't play or buy it. R00fles!

Stabwound

Arcane
Sales figures ≠ quality. The game could have been a literal turd in a box and it would have sold millions on the name alone.

EG

Nullified
Sales figures ≠ quality. The game could have been a literal turd in a box and it would have sold millions on the name alone.

Of course it means quality! People wouldn't buy it if it wasn't quality!

That's how capitalism works, dammit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Awww... Your opinion on quality is irrelevant. The game isn't broken. It's a huge success in every way that matters.

Trust me on this - if the internet was like this when D1 came out, it likely would have a lot of 'haters' as well. This is 2012 - The Time To Hate All Things Unless It was Made 20 Years Ago.

R00fles!

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ruining Diablo 3? is that the same game that sold 10mil copies? Nah, I believe D3 is doing just fine, and I'm one of the few here who likely didn't play or buy it. R00fles!

And Enron sold 11 billions' worth of shitty shares. Diablo 3 sold that based on reputation, not quality. If it had been made by an obscure company it'd have gone the way of Kingdoms of Amalaur, except Kingdoms of Amalur was a decent game.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
What a disgusting man-child. I mean it.

In before Anthony Davis apology...

Meh, why would I apologize? The only thing I would have even considered was maybe being more eloquent if I had the ability. I'm not a wordsmith though so you get what you get.

I guess now that I am married I think the though of shipping your wife off, especially a pregnant wife, just so you can play a video game for a week, is very selfish.

Selfish might have been better a better word than disgusting... in hindsight.

Then to brandish the notion that you shipped off your pregnant wife so you can play a game as evidence of how HARDCORE you are is simply pathetic.

Phelot

Arcane
I was just playing.

It really is amazing how powerful social media is. One comment, one that was even deleted rather quickly, was enough to cause a storm... OR SOME MIGHT SAY A BLIZZARD LOL

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

And Enron sold 11 billions' worth of shitty shares. Diablo 3 sold that based on reputation, not quality. If it had been made by an obscure company it'd have gone the way of Kingdoms of Amalaur, except Kingdoms of Amalur was a decent game.

Any company with a burn rate like Blizzard should be careful. Not every game they make is going to generate 10 million in sales or have 9 million active users.

Diablo 3 had a LOT of people working on it for over 11 years. They spent a ton of money creating that game.

They have doubtlessly made all of that back and more, but that sort of business model is not sustainable forever. The only way it works is if you deliver MEGA-HITS every single time (EDIT) or you are Valve and have a golden goose that can sustain all sorts of projects. Fail to deliver even once on one of these mega expensive projects and the company is going to take a bath.

It is happening right now with EA and Bioware over their 300+million dollar MMO gamble which failed horribly. There are all sorts of rumors about EA and Bioware going on right now and how many and what heads are going to roll. Some already have.

It's not quite the same, EA also had some other games that weren't great, sure, but they are also a LOT more diversified than Blizzard too.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Have you seen his wife? He'd probably use any ol' excuse to ship her off!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The really shitty part is that it is a megahit. Well, maybe their next product won't.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's true. Blizzard fanboys are even more delusional than Valve fanboys.

ironyuri

WoW probably won't remain a golden goose for much longer as it pushes 8+ years old.

Coming from a MUD/MUSH background, we lost and gained players in cycles, but usually player fatigue would end up setting in and people would just quit out of boredom once they'd done/seen everything. The aging graphics and aging playerbase won't help. MMOs of the WoW-kind probably won't outlive WoW, ie: there will never be a WoW killer, it will just die a slow antediluvian death and its inheritors will never quite live up to its name.

Tycn

Savant
Fuck that loser. Fuck him for giving us Diablo 3 beta for $60. The game needed about another year of work, except they released it as a beta and are slowly patching in the things that should have been there from day one.

Fuck you (collectively) for giving them $60 for Diablo 3 beta.

Black

Arcane
And fuck you just because it feels good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom