Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeff Vogel Soapbox Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Humanity has risen!, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    I like reading history and I find when it's dry and lacks pretense there's a sense that you reading something from someone at least trying to just put a viewpoint out and can leave the entertainment angle to the subject presented (a extraordinary fact is infinity more entertaining to me than the presentation unless you're going for humour in a biographical setting, especially with someone innately humorous like Churchill).

Going in at first it was out of interest seeing what the maker of Geneforge has to say about games given his years in the industry and that when I usually do it's in the latest thread that's popped up in my Alerts.

The problem reading through this last one is, the conceit isn't simply in tone, it's in the very heart of the article. He thinks there's this biiiiiig question fighting over and he has the answer and it's the most simple answer possible not realizing he simplified things so much trying to find an answer he completely missed the point and took the word "game" too broadly when the issue has nothing to do with that but video games and everything that comes loaded when you say that word.

You say "video game" to someone and it instantly brings to mind Super Mario Bros or anything else with a focus on gameplay as well as what a controller or mouse and keyboard and what comes to mind with what you mainly do with those things within video games.

No one hears "video game" and thinks of the something like Gone Home. You mention a game like Gone Home and your mind focuses on how little use your controls matter in the course of the game.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    ^ Top  
  2. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    In the context of software... if you have to ask whether it's a game, the answer is no.

^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Latest Vogelblabber: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2018/01/cuphead-cruelty-and-selling-unfairness.html

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
  5. Siveon Bot Patron

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well, no ponies at least.

• incline incline x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Was unsure which thread to post this in. I guess technically this is the general Jeff Vogel thread.

Anyway, he did an AMA today on leddit. Some tidbits from it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7vyv09/im_jeff_vogel_founder_of_spiderweb_software_since/

EDIT: Can someone comment on his planned changes to Geneforge? Not sure i like the idea that's he changing so much form the system.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • decline decline x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    :roll:

EDIT: That's basically the items about the new game. The only other thing I can think of is that he still hasn't decided on the engine to use. He's a C++ programmer so one that uses it and one that he can keep the source code is what he's looking for. Someone mentioned GoDot (which I think recently got C++ support IIRC), and he said he'd look into it.

The rest of the answers are kinda historical tidbit son his careers and his past games (like he wont make another historical rpg again. And Avernum 4-6 might get remastered but not for a while).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Have the cuck rerelease exile trilogy + blades for newer systems for fucks sake.

And he should make that new kikestarter game on exiles engine, all ones used in his later games are complete and utter shit.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Someone with leddit access should ask him why he went form a 6 man party in the Exile games to a 4 man party for avernum.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Well Geneforge 1 had basically no incentive to keep around creations. They scaled straight linearly up off level and levelups were 1/2 as powerful as base levels (IIRC), so every time you got a new creation level or slightly better creation equipment you'd resummon your whole lot. This was changed drastically in later Geneforges so that leveling up creations over time was stronger and less expensive in creature maintenance mana than summoning newer, highly level stuff. So it sounds like he wants to go back to more of the Geneforge 1 style. I'm OK with this since I really dislike the idea of such a huge incentive to protect creations since it's effectively just forced reloading as the enemy AI is pretty much random in what it targets, hits for 2/3rds of most creations health, and randomly stuns or paralyzes stuff so it can't escape. On the other hand I'd like some incentive not to ditch creations constantly or just throw them in a meatgrinder to kill one thing per wave in a difficult level before retreating to resummon and do it again. If a balance can be reached it will improve the game.

More significant customization, I don't know what could be added that fits. Some kind of perk system for creations? But there are already 3 separate lines of creation (magic/fire/battle), having too much customization could easily destroy the uniqueness that each line is supposed to bring.

^ Top  
  11. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    Icon art... I don't like the sound of that. Not that there's anything wrong with mobile visual novels.

People are telling him to look at Godot.. he could do shitty 3D no problem.. but he wants to integrate his existing C++ code with it. Might be easier said than done; graphics programming has changed a lot in 20 years, and being an engine, will it expect him to do things its way. But he's not throwing everything away so that's good news.

^ Top  
  12. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    Yeah... like the drama stars in Frayed Knights.. separately for each creation? So if you've got a winning creation you want to keep it going at least until it can unleash that massive attack.

^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Lets hope that the new game will be weird like geneforge. Just finished the new remake and intend to replay geneforge 2 or 3. Just have to make every item weightless. Really like the junk bag addition and how you don't get weighted down from your inventory and only form equipped items. Also increasing the money cap will be good. Anyway,the games are masterpieces in my book.

^ Top  
  14. ilitarist Learned Illiterate Village Idiot

ilitarist
    I asked him about older games having more stuff.

Q: What would you say to people who reminiscent about older games abundance of spells and skills etc?

A: Most of the bajillion skills in the old game were dumb. Also, I can barely manage the balancing of 62 skills. I just couldn't handle 162.
    :littlemissfun:

I agree though. All those skills do not add much to older games.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. V_K Arcane

V_K
    So he's making a blobber?

^ Top  
  16. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    From the description of that, it sounds more like return to the Exile graphics - at least, I dunno what else could "icon based" mean. Which is kinda ridiculous, but what you can do, greed is a mortal sin and it shows.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Terra Learned

Terra
    I'm dubious of Vogel getting the funding he wants if he's sticking steadfastly to his "I don't like music" excuse. Not sure that'll fly with KS backers in the wider world beyond his niche. I think it's more likely that he doesn't want to pony up the cash for new tunes with each game really.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

^ Top  
  18. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    What music do you play while playing his games? I go for something more folk/ethno like medievalbabes or some roman/byzantian music,german and celtic is ok to.

^ Top  
  19. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I always turn music off in games - it's rarely good and always distracting. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • retadred retadred x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    You're not alone. :love:

• decline decline x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. supervoid Erudite

supervoid
    For some reason they are calling small graphics "icons". From their note for artists (it's years old):

^ Top  
  23. ilitarist Learned Illiterate Village Idiot

ilitarist
    I'm fine with his games having no music.

This is one of the things you either do well or do not do at all. He doesn't have any genius composer lying around and no orchestra.

I'm fine with games having atmospheric music necessary to properly *feel* those games. Many big games are partly defined by their music. Whether you like those games or not but all the Baldur's Gates, Fallouts, Arcanums, Mass Effects, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls and so on are unthinkable without their music. But many games have no real identity in that regard. Like Dragon Age, Witcher and many other might have as well have no music even if it's good. They're not defined by music, their atmosphere is fine even without it. Vogel's games are fine without the music.

I usually listen to whatever I'd listen to if I'd just have a walk. Metal. Still as it's fantasy I am drawn to Power Metal like Blind Guardian who made some awesome music for some crappy games.

^ Top  
  24. ilitarist Learned Illiterate Village Idiot

ilitarist
    Sad! They force me to switch resolution to something like 1600x900 on my 4K screen to be able to reliably click stuff and read fonts. For fonts they have a special option, for graphics - not so much.

^ Top  
  25. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    There are a lot of capable and cheep composers in East Europa mate,the most big names in the entertainment industry are shit. Here is a good example:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)