Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Jews] There is nothing wrong with necroing

Johannes

Arcane
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/miconecro.108375/

What the fuck is the point of retardoing this? Is this discussion terrible, shitposting, politically incorrect?

Talking about old shit is not any worse than talking about the new shit.

An argument can be made that rather than necroing, a new thread should be started with a link to the old one, in order to make the time gap more noticeable and to avoid megathreads. But then that should be done, split the thread into the old and the new part but without the retardoing part. So if people want to keep talking about the subject they can, without starting yet another thread.
Now even if you happen to chance into that thread in retardo, you can't even see what thread it was that was lifted.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Necroing more old stuff -> more get dumped = codex slowly removing his history.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember being taught, as a general etiquette guideline, that it's always better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one. Although this could have the opposite effect of excessive megathreads, I still think there is nothing wrong with a bit of necroposting every now and then. Especially if the discussion is on-topic or interesting in retrospect. But of course on any internet forum you get people who couldn't hack it as janitors in real life, so they volunteer for the equivalent position on the internet, and they decide that anything interesting must be suppressed. It can't be helped.

Cool name

Arcane
I really wish a mod or admin could give a good reason for necroing being treated this way.

it seems like a "necros are bad because uh other forums say they're bad so we should do that too" which is cargo cult moderation and ends with retardoings like above, which are nothing but mods stifling conversation just for the sake of doing something moderator-y

the only situation I can see them as bad in are maybe things like workshop threads for abandoned projects, or if the reply is 100% spam

this is a forum full of people who like old games ffs, all creating new threads for the same old topic (which is to say, while individual games should have several topics instead of megathreads, there do not need to be 50 identical "difficulty curve in X game" threads) does is make everyone repeat the same arguments over and over instead of making new points

th e only argument that makes sense is the megathread one, but that won't be an issue if the thread had a topic of appropriately limited scope to begin with

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
this is a forum full of people who like old games ffs, all creating new threads for the same old topic (which is to say, while individual games should have several topics instead of megathreads, there do not need to be 50 identical "difficulty curve in X game" threads) does is make everyone repeat the same arguments over and over instead of making new points

Necroing in the News forum has always been a special case (because it's the forum where people are specifically looking for news). I don't think any other non-retarded necroing i.e. in other subforums is ever retardo'ed, afaik.

However, I don't care much. Feel free to continue necroing if you want, unless it's to the point of spamming.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Necroing in the News forum has always been a special case. I don't think any other non-retarded necroing is ever retardo'ed, afaik.

A valid point, why retardo and edgy cracked-like mod warning, though? Move it to relevant discussion thread.

Btw, nice necro, asshole. The thread is 5 hours old already.

Cool name

Arcane
Necroing in the News forum has always been a special case.
Why is that exactly? Someone just tossing in their two cents years after the fact might as well be spam, but a post like micoselva's, commenting on the Codex's changing response to certain news/games adds value to an old news thread, and I don't see how it causes any problems except for people who can't read post dates.

Worst case, if it really bothered the hell out of someone for whatever reason (still unclear on what that could possibly be), it could be moved to GRPG with a link to the original thread edited in instead of trashing it. yeah it'd be a little more work for the mod, but isn't the whole point of moderators to facilitate good discussion?

I guess what I'm saying is I can see higher standards for a necro to be non-spam in News, but a blanket 'no fuck off' on necros still seems pointless and stifling.

Semiurge

Cipher
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Start a new thread when an old one exists and you get buried under a shit avalanche for creating a duplicate thread. Necro the old thread and it gets retardo'd, and you get buried under the same shit Kilimanjaro because necroing is so uncool because who the fuck knows or cares.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom