Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

John Carmack on JRE

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I can't stand Joe Rogan, what an insufferable, self-important douchebag. I will never listen to one of his videos ever again.

why tho?
Didn't praise jebus enough prolly. Joe talks out of his ass sometimes like anyone when they're in a casual conversation, but he's well aware his expertise lies only in martial arts and comedy. He's probably the best 'talk show' host around currently. Knows how to get people talking, doesn't pick sides, and doesn't softball his guests too much.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
but he's well aware his expertise lies only in martial arts and comedy

Rogan murders otherwise potentially funny jokes in the delivery. I'm not sure if he's autistic or what, but "funny" and "comedian" are not words I'd use to describe the man. I couldn't make it through the first 15 minutes of his Netflix Stand Up show. He is a pretty good interviewer, when he's not fucking talking about himself.

Swigen

Arbiter
He is a pretty good interviewer, when he's not fucking talking about himself.

This. And he says the same shit every damn episode. Like 1 million people heard what he said already but he reeeeaaaalllly wants to make sure Elon Musk knows what he thinks about trannies, freedom of speech, hunting, how he writes joeks, etc....

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Rogan murders otherwise potentially funny jokes in the delivery. I'm not sure if he's autistic or what, but "funny" and "comedian" are not words I'd use to describe the man. I couldn't make it through the first 15 minutes of his Netflix Stand Up show. He is a pretty good interviewer, when he's not fucking talking about himself.
His last Netflix special was genuinely good tho. Everything previous to that is not very funny, agree.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Rogan's lived on the west coast for WAY too long. He naturally assumes that 90% of people have a baseline leftist mindset, with the other 10% being decent conservatives or Antifa. Considering he sometimes hunts in the upper midwest or Alaska, you'd think he would have been cultured since.

His guests are occasionally good, but yeah he's too self-important and his views too LA hipster to bare for long. His religious dedication to the concept of singularity and mankind hive-mind is enough to induce vomiting. Sorry Joe, most of us don't wanna link minds with your DMT-riddled brain.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Watched the whole thing. Shame they pretty much ignored Carmack's early ID days. Must've been something! Guy was 22 when Wolfenstein launched, 23 when Doom launched and 25 when Quake launched. I mean, come on!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, it's a shame that JC had that gift as one of greatest, most brilliant game coders that ever existed, and he just seemed to walk away from that and concentrate on a VR pipe-dream that never seemed to go anywhere. Alas, the assburger brain can go in strange, pointless directions and paths and never return.

I think people are really underestimating Carmack's ability to stay relevant. This is a guy who has done real rocket science after his stint in games and VR, although still a pipe dream and not really practical or relevant at the moment, is something with a lot of potential that goes way beyond games.

He is staying way ahead of the curve and keeping his head above shit compared to most of his peers. I think it's a lot more respectable than what Romero is doing, for example - which is living off his past glories giving endless speeches and Doom post-mortems at ridiculous 'media' events, not having developed a single game of note for over 20 years (and even that one was an abject failure that drove his company to the ground) and being cucked by a shrill harridan wildebeest that directs his every current move.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
His religious dedication to the concept of singularity and mankind hive-mind is enough to induce vomiting. Sorry Joe, most of us don't wanna link minds with your DMT-riddled brain.

I am guessing he decided to side with JC and the end of Deus Ex 2.

Yeah, it's a shame that JC had that gift as one of greatest, most brilliant game coders that ever existed, and he just seemed to walk away from that and concentrate on a VR pipe-dream that never seemed to go anywhere.

There's already a somewhat decent market of VR games you know. Which include AAA games from the top publishers/devs.
I still don't beleive we can have good games in VR that require lots of movement and player interactions, but still VR games seem to be here to stay.

Swigen

Arbiter
VR is absolutely valid, it’s just not quite there yet but Mr. Carmack has the right idea focusing on portability and form factor. I believe the future will be augmented reality and the success of Pokémon Go proves it. Just wait, there’ll be dickheads running all around town with those fucken glasses on shooting each other in city wide deathmatches and John is primed to capitalize on it. Y’all aren’t smarter than the man who invented Doom.

Last edited:

Possibly autistic, but the guy is a stoner, and lit up most of the time. Not judging, but might give some context to the weird shit he sometimes pulls out of his ass.

Potato Canon

Novice
Carmack sold out to Facebook. He shrugs off their data harvesting because they pay him bank. Sad. So much wasted potential, maybe he should have stuck with Armadillo Aerospace.

Oculus's concept of VR has become dumbed down lower than mobile gaming, everyone with an ounce of self respect fled the company already, which is basically all the original founders except for Carmack.

VR is not in a great place right now.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Carmack sold out to Facebook. He shrugs off their data harvesting because they pay him bank. Sad. So much wasted potential, maybe he should have stuck with Armadillo Aerospace.

Oculus's concept of VR has become dumbed down lower than mobile gaming, everyone with an ounce of self respect fled the company already, which is basically all the original founders except for Carmack.

VR is not in a great place right now.
:lol:
Its not like Palmer & co's "concept" of immersive-wrap-around-your-head-degree-large-fov from a semi-wearable specifically needed FB to fail because it wasn't moronic enough to begin with.
You can't get such fov out of a true:lol: wearable, period.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Rogan's presence here is irrelevant. I don't know a damn thing about programming and never had any interest in the craft, but it's always fascinating to listen to Carmack. Guy has lived an interesting life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom