Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Josh on Interplay's woes

Anonymous

That was a joke, idiot.

Psilon

Erudite
Volourn said:
Funny Saints MDK2 which IIRC was a BIo dveloped title. LOL Of course I never palyed it so that guarantees it sucks. And, btw, IIRC as well MDK2 sold a good number of copies and supposedly made money thoguh "not a bundle".

MDK2 Armageddon wasn't. BioWare just made the original PC version, not the PlayStation port. I don't think it sold well on consoles.

Eragon

Novice
MDK2 Armageddon wasn't. BioWare just made the original PC version, not the PlayStation port.

Bioware did make the PC, Dreamcast, and PS2 versions of MDK2. They used their Omen Technology (which eventually evolved into the Aurora Engine) to make the game.

I don't think it sold well on consoles

Unfortunately, it didn't. It was a great game, but really hard to finish. :(

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nah, it sucked. And, i can say that without even playing it.

Psilon

Erudite
Correction: MDK2 != MDK2 Armageddon. Armageddon was the dedicated PS2 version, which didn't sell. MDK2 was on PC and Dreamcast, and sold moderately, at least on PC. Not smash hit level, obviously--witness the lack of an MDK3--but decently.

My mistake, though; BioWare definitely developed both titles.

Psilon

Erudite
No idea, but it sold pretty well at my local EB. Of course, my source could have been talking out of his ass on that one.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rayt said:
Maybe it sold solid in Europe.

I doubt it. It might have, but it was released something like four months late in Europe because Interplay didn't feel like paying the European distribution costs.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Thanks to you asshats, this thread has gone off the track. I'll make a shoddy attempt to get it back up to speed now:

Galleon turned out to be a good game, though - according to recent reviews. If Herve had stuck with Galleon and instead ditched his plans for FOBOS and BGDA2 he'd have probably managed to keep the company alive for a little while longer.

Granted, if he ditched his plans for FOBOS and BGDA2, he'd have probably kept Jefferson and Van Buren alive and the company would probably be rolling full steam ahead today instead of lying like a derelict car in a puddle of muddy water.

DemonKing

Arcane
Exitium said:
Galleon turned out to be a good game, though - according to recent reviews. If Herve had stuck with Galleon and instead ditched his plans for FOBOS and BGDA2 he'd have probably managed to keep the company alive for a little while longer.

What about the ill-fated decision to sell off Shiny? Sure by all reports the Matrix game was crap but still it sold over 4 MILLION copies. Numbers like that would surely have propped Ineptplay up long enough to get FO3 out the door and maybe even pay their licence fees and finish off BG3.

suibhne

Erudite
plin said:
edit: heh, I don't care anymore.

Yeah, I can tell. The last few days have not been kind to you.

Back on topic, MDK2 is fantastic - that rare sequel which lives up the original. If you're into action games, I seriously recommend picking it up from the bargain bin.

taks

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
Taks, try to make some useful commentary for once, please.

AND STOP FUCKING SIGNING YOUR NAME.

as if you actually say anything useful? let's see, your last few posts in this thread...

That was a joke, idiot.
Well, I wouldnt care so much if his posts went beyond

'lawl

taks'
WE KNOW HIS NAME IS TAKS, HE DOESNT NEED TO PUT IT IN EVERY POST.
Taks, try to make some useful commentary for once, please.

AND STOP FUCKING SIGNING YOUR NAME.

you seem to be on the sherrif bandwagon that says "i'm cool because i can tell someone to fuck off over the web. my shit don't stink because i'm mature enough to type curses and get away with it. insulting people is teh kewl."

oh, and i'll sign my name till i die, and if you don't like it, too bad.

TAKS

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:

Yeah, but Galleon was in development for six years before they sold it. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't lose a lot of money on it when they sold it.

Granted, if he ditched his plans for FOBOS and BGDA2, he'd have probably kept Jefferson and Van Buren alive and the company would probably be rolling full steam ahead today instead of lying like a derelict car in a puddle of muddy water.

The nice thing about that is there's really no way in hell they'll be able to make titles like that anymore. Even if they get that money from the Magical Funding Fairy, they've bled off all of their talent that made their PC CRPGs.

DemonKing said:
What about the ill-fated decision to sell off Shiny? Sure by all reports the Matrix game was crap but still it sold over 4 MILLION copies. Numbers like that would surely have propped Ineptplay up long enough to get FO3 out the door and maybe even pay their licence fees and finish off BG3.

Shiny was bleeding the company, though. They got $56M out of the sale, and that was about a year before the game was released. IPLY probably shouldn't have bought Shiny that license in the first place. If Shiny hadn't released the game on time, which is something Shiny is known for not doing, Interplay would have been a lot more hurt today than they are. They took out a loan from MicroSoft where they used a number of their properties for collataral. The loan hinged on the game being released on a certain date.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
This thread has turned out a lot better than I thought it would. I love the RPG Codex burn.

Country_Gravy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom