Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Josh on Interplay's woes

taks

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Yeah, but Galleon was in development for six years before they sold it. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't lose a lot of money on it when they sold it.
i think herve was worried another one of his games wouldn't sell... then he would have REALLY lost money...

Exitium said:
Granted, if he ditched his plans for FOBOS and BGDA2, he'd have probably kept Jefferson and Van Buren alive and the company would probably be rolling full steam ahead today instead of lying like a derelict car in a puddle of muddy water.
maybe, but we'll never know...

taks

Eragon

Novice
Shiny

Shiny was bleeding the company, though. They got $56M out of the sale, and that was about a year before the game was released.

Interplay needed the cash, and at the time of the sale, The Matrix game didn't look that good.

The sale of Shiny was one of the very few smart decisions that Herve made."Fifi" got $56 million to stuff in his pockets, Interplay kept all of Shiny's other IPs (Earthworm Jim, Sacrifice, etc), and they no longer had to worry about Dave Perry's bloated payroll.

IPLY probably shouldn't have bought Shiny that license in the first place.

It was a gamble on Fargo's part. He wanted a big license to add to Interplay's portfolio and the only other person seriously bidding on the Matrix game was John Romero and Ion Storm. Fortunately, Perry was a friend of the two Brothers, and all the crap with Romero and Ion Storm was starting to leak out.

taks

Liturgist
ya gotta wonder if he knew the matrix game itself was going to turn out shitty or not... if he did, i'm sure the idea of a 4 million unit sales game was the least likely possibility...

taks

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I say it's too late to cry over spilt blood, so patch it up and move on

BlackHart

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom