Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer is taking a break from directing games

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This thread is at the 8th page, and I still can't figure out why some people here think that Josh is looking for another job, or arguing about which company can he go to. He just said that the won't be a project director and will work on several other projects as a designer. That's it. Or have I missed a tweet or announcement?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You have to read between things.

Then read between those that are between those and find hidden meanings.

Gossip is one of the greatest past times of any population.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The main problem with scoring a management job is, that everyone wants to be the boss, and think they could do it better. So, the way to get it is to be good friends with the CEO.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The main problem with scoring a management job is, that everyone wants to be the boss, and think they could do it better. So, the way to get it is to be good friends with the CEO.

And then they find out what it entails, being a manager and being butt buddies with the CEO.

In the past, you had project leads and engineers: the technical people who made it happen. They have been mostly replaced by managers, who need to manage, no technical knowledge required. Technical people should be cheap, or outsourced.

Two different groups, who talk about vastly different things among each other. And barely understand the other group. Which wouldn't be bad, as long as they respected each other.

There is little coordination happening.

Interestingly enough, if you look at Scrum and Agile, you see that those design stages have mostly disappeared: pick the next, small, short-term goal. Implement that. Repeat. Planning is only about how many FTE you need to finish the next part.

Cool for small stuff, not for serious projects.

Anyway, if you're good at the coordination and design, you first need to find a company where they see the need for those things. Which again requires that the CEO likes you. So, being hired as external consultant is often a requirement for that.

But in that case you can prove that you're actually good at what you do. Which is also a dangerous thing to do.

Getting to be buddies with the CEO is much easier.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

And then they find out what it entails, being a manager and being butt buddies with the CEO.
It is truly amazing how the worst person gets chosen for the job. Why can't bosses have normal capable friends? I am yet to see a manager that is the good match for the job. It is one of humanity's mysteries.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
he probably heard feargus say "sounds like you don't wanna be a project director anymore" and took it at face value

SymbolicFrank

Magister

It is truly amazing how the worst person gets chosen for the job. Why can't bosses have normal capable friends? I am yet to see a manager that is the good match for the job. It is one of humanity's mysteries.

One is good in sucking up and lying (politics), the other in analysis and technical stuff. Different kinds of people. Although they can both communicate well, they do so in a very different way. With different priorities: only one of them cares about the project.

EDIT: although it always surprises me that those bosses always seem to think it's genuine, while the other actually thinks: "what an ass". That's what you get if everyone is friendly and nobody ever tells them that they are wrong.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Soon, for the first time ever, Josh Sawyer will be the Design Director of Obsidian Entertainment without being tied down to a project. He ain't going anywhere before he tries to leverage that.
I'm just going to add fuel to the fire here.

Since Josh was given royalties on the PoE IP, what if Feargus did what he did best and added a clause in the contract that required Josh to be at Obsidian to see any of that money? We all know how the boss man likes to lock down talent, and has a propensity for playing the "if I can't have you no one can" game. So maybe Josh would leave but won't yet at least until he sees some of that money. Sort of like a non-compete clause but with incentive this time, maybe because Josh is better at dealing with him than MCA. Enforced stagnation.

Another thing to those saying Josh has no talent: if MCA's work was disappointing and far from his full potential at Obsidian, it most likely is the same for Sawyer. This is a studio that has stifled creativity at every turn except for marginal DLCs / expansions (in the owners' eyes), and has made a habit of turning away many of its best creative talent.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going by Divinity OS 1 don't know much about the second one. I don't see why Larian would break something that didn't need fixing.
Because according to the casuals who bring the 1m+ sales, D:OS combat is teh hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom