Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's a bit of a shame that that abrupt at-will-ending was left as a joke. It'd have been a nice touch, even if relatively minor one. I remember thinking at some point during my first run of the game that there's not much real motivation going on here, what would happen if I could just fuck off.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another Infinitron question from the backlog:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Who wants videogames to be equivalent to this:

38ab0e1b1687429db9175fde79286755.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Woman creates art by expelling eggs filled with paint from her vagina.

Weak effort. Now doing the same thing with menstrual blood... that would be art.

My friend had an idea for a piece where he kicked me in the kidney's until I pissed blood, which I would then do all over a canvas. I didn't do it because he'd get all the credit, being the one who came up with the idea.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
konradharlan asked: Hey, what's your process like when writing dialog trees? I don't mean in a technical manner. I've been working on a little game on my spare time and I find it hard to collect my thoughts in a good way when writing.

I think it’s true that every writer finds their own best practices that work well for them. I think most of us have problems either with getting moving/procrastination or with editing after dumping out a huge volume of text. Over the years, I’ve been relieved to hear accomplished writers admit to a lot of procrastination and fussing in their processes (e.g. Stephen Sondheim says he likes using soft pencils so he has to sharpen them frequently).

I’m not an especially prolific writer. I usually start with a character brief that lists out a few salient facts about the character’s motives and characteristic keywords (e.g. proud, boorish, shy, etc.). For dialogue trees, I list out topics that the character will discuss. Some of these topics are of central importance to a quest, others are informational. Whenever possible, I try to think of ways to combine the informational topics with the character’s motivations so they’re speaking about something that’s central to them instead of reciting text that could be in a book.

The organizational structure is dictated by how nodes relate to quest or non-quest topics. Non-quest topics can be accessed in a variety of places and should be available quickly whenever you speak to the character. Quest topics have a more directed flow. The conflict of the quest’s current state moves inexorably toward its next state, so those branches tend to be longer and with fewer individual branches. My focus is on giving the player choices that we can deliver on in terms of consequences.

When the general topic list is created and I’ve laid out the node structure, I start writing the NPC/companion dialogue and player replies. At this stage, I try to be careful about adding new branches as that can get out of hand pretty quickly. After the dialogue and descriptive prose have been written, for voiced characters I add in pronunciation guides and try to speak through the lines to ensure there’s nothing that sounds weird (in a bad way).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh is pretty laconic today:
50shades-of-blue asked: Would you consider the Courier related to the Chosen One or just some wasteland asshole?

I don’t think there’s anything in F:NV that would connect them.

runthatbyme asked: Who designed/wrote the H&H Tools Factory in FO: New Vegas? I thought that place was absolutely terrifying.

If I recall correctly, John Gonzalez wrote all of the terminal entries for H&H Tools.

melnorme asked: So, FO:NV question. The game takes place shortly before the second battle of Hoover Dam and after a first one that took place several years ago. During this time, there have been constant low-level skirmishes between the NCR and Legion forces on the opposite sides of the Colorado River. Is this inspired by the Israeli-Egyptian War of Attrition along the Suez Canal that took place between the 1967 and 1973 wars?

It was not, no.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's the quest where that Followers chick who banged Benny asks you to bug one of Mr. House's terminals.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
That's the quest where that Followers chick who banged Benny asks you to bug one of Mr. House's terminals.

Shame as it was connected to Benny's own plan to use Yes Man for the endgame. Which is another way the Followers are shown to have their own bad apples\flaws (ex-member Sallow\Caesar being a major one).

Fairfax

Arcane
That could mean there's another unannounced project. AW had ~100 people last year IIRC. With 30 on Tyranny, 10 on Pathfinder, 20 with Sawyer. Still at least 40 people unaccounted for.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Could be, but it might be more likely that AW is a a bit larger than 100 and the rest is non-developer support personnel.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So Josh must be working on new supar sekret gaem?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom