Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
he dodged your question.
- so the recent obsidian games are too safe and simple, and they pander to fortnite/rick & morty audience. your opinion on that?

If that's what Nano was talking about when he said "safe", he should have mentioned it specifically.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It wasn't, but even if it was the character limit wouldn't have allowed it (notice how I changed "Obsidian" to "Obs."?)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://twitter.com/pedrothedagger/status/1198834466866651136

Also DS3 despite being conservative feature-wise wasn’t playing it safe really given scope cf. budget and engine.

To put it in context, F:NV and DS3's development budgets were in a similar ballpark, and while there were certainly some tech debt issues the F:NV team had to solve, they did have an essentially working game very early in development. On the other hand...

DS3 started with an engine that hadn't shipped a game yet, and none of the gameplay code "above" the engine existed or was useable with DS3 - it all had to be made from scratch. Getting a character walking around in an artified level took a non-trivial amount of time.

DS3 had to solve a lot of problems that a game in an existing IP with an existing engine didn't - How would levels be built? How would the camera work? How would we present dialog? And all of those had to be built from scratch in a very compressed timeframe.

None of this is a criticism of the F:NV team, btw, who it must be said made a pretty objectively better game and also made a better game (imo) with less time and less support than other teams have with that franchise/engine

So I don't want to seem like I'm taking away from their accomplishment, just saying that decisionmaking on DS3 was very focused on being able to ship the game within budget, and within those constraints we executed a lot more than seemed possible.

DS3 had all the ambition it needed when it came to features, length, and scripting, it played it too safe with writing no thanks to Feargus's meddling.

Also this is as-close-to-confirmation that we'll get that New Vegas's production budget was in the area of 10 million (and I recall Avellone said they spent something like 3 times as much on marketing). :)

Edit: Crazy Monty spilled F:NV's budget several years ago in a thread I didn't read, but it's good to see another dev mention it as well https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...extreme-prejudice.113256/page-10#post-5297021

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
I can understand where feeling comes from, and I think a lot of it has to do with the relative ages of people in leadership positions.

Well Sawyer is being honest in this sentence, after this he goes full back-pedal mode tho.

Yes they got OLD and they cant produce anything interesting anymore that is true alright.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Who knew it can be that simple. Here I was wracking my brain over why I saw an Asian guy at the train station yesterday.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

They cut some of what should have been A priorities (populating their game with more meaningful content - making exploration matter, doing the hard work of making stats/archetypes/skills matter more without being broken, risking difficult gates with support to help players through) to stick to that schedule though.

Xeon

Augur
Can't you or merchants just import the thistle instead of having to go and hunt for similar resources in order to craft.

Quillon

Arcane
When you pluck the thistle it spoils in 3 days so you can't import it, there are some ways to preserve it longer but its deemed too costly. True story.

Diggfinger

Arcane
When you pluck the thistle it spoils in 3 days so you can't import it, there are some ways to preserve it longer but its deemed too costly. True story.

Why, indeed!
You sir are a true connoisseur of the marvelous Cirsium heterophyllum (or in common speak: the thistle) if I ever saw one. Honored to be in thy fine company!:obviously:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom