Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I don’t think it’s particularly interesting.
That's his opinion, but did he not notice how players were lauding it in Dragon Age: Origins, or...?
DA:O was basically mimicking the MMO delivery of player pathing: choose back story (racial choice) = small zone unique to player choice, short lived & once it's over 99% of players just end up having the same experience.

When you consider the better alternative, shorter starting locale for everyone (story intro + tutorial) - followed by completely different, branching routes for the player after they get through 15min intro (F:NV) you can't fault his opinion. Always prefered the game to open up as you play it. Different starting locations are when the game is trying to hide linearity, single player RPGs shouldn't need them.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Sawyer isn't a programmer. I don't think he knows how much time/effort is involved in implementing anything. He has to go by what his minions tell him, and they're probably all inflating their estimates so that they have time to play Minesweeper.

Sentinel

Arcane
Tumblrina trying to bait him into the tranny question, and he turns it into a union/CDPR social responsibility and company hypocrisy instead, while not really saying much at all.

Masterful.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
He managed to not use the phrase "Polish death camps" so I guess by the standards of 2019 that went well.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Having different starting locations didn't really feel that special in DA:O. What I would like to see more is the AoD different starting paths expanded. Instead of occupying the spot of an NPC for some of the first quests in the game, those persistent roles would matter more in the long run.

Codex Year of the Donut
When I wear my Game Workers Unite shirt in former Soviet Bloc countries, I get shit from a few senior game devs (always/only at the upper management level) about it. They are always people who were born prior to the fall of the Soviet Union and have extremely negative views of unions. Younger people (and most of the older people who talked to me) have a more positive view of unions.

"these people who have experience with a subject view it negatively, but good news is that the people who don't view it positively!"

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I am literally shaking right now at the injustice that happens to people who willingly went to work in games industry despite public knowledge that working conditions are from XIX century.

Harthwain

Magister
Pretty sure he was given shit for the shirt purely because it was a reference to "Workers of the world, unite!" slogan, not because of somebody's "views on unions". Some people won't like any references to communism, no matter what, because they were personally and very negatively impacted by it. People who didn't live under communism or weren't treated as badly aren't that bothered by them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Old Josh:
i'm not anti-union, but the legal powers of unions in the u.s. have been systematically weakened for decades and most major publishers are heavily international now. a lot of publishers already have dev houses making a huge amount of core and supplemental content overseas. i don't think there is any mechanism in place, legal or otherwise, that would prevent publishers and investors from moving more of their development money out of the u.s. as a reaction to devs unionizing.

New Josh: union good, we must union

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I am literally shaking right now at the injustice that happens to people who willingly went to work in games industry despite public knowledge that working conditions are from XIX century.
What is your intention with this post? Are you saying:

a) that the game industry employees complaining about this should just suck it up and do their work
b) that they should stop working on video games, meaning less video games get made
c) that you just like laughing at people in a bad place
d) both A and C?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm saying the games industry is a mess precisely because people knowingly go to work there even when "Warning: Floor is Lava" is written on the company door. Then they still walk inside and they are surprised CEO is Hitler and the job consists of being fucked in the ass by demons.

I don't mind at all if they unionize, but take some fucking responsibility for your own mistakes already. They only reason they have to talk about unions is because market doesn't have a chance to correct if people willingly ignore all the market warnings.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Pretty sure he was given shit for the shirt purely because it was a reference to "Workers of the world, unite!" slogan, not because of somebody's "views on unions". Some people won't like any references to communism, no matter what, because they were personally and very negatively impacted by it. People who didn't live under communism or weren't treated as badly aren't that bothered by them.

That's exactly what I thought. People who had their youth ruined by communism can rightly be allergic to ironic hipster communism.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
What is your intention with this post? Are you saying:

a) that the game industry employees complaining about this should just suck it up and do their work
b) that they should stop working on video games, meaning less video games get made
c) that you just like laughing at people in a bad place
d) both A and C?

The question is rather: Can unions (help to) solve the problems prevalent in the games industry and why does the games industry have those problems, while other sectors, which also don't have unions, either don't have those problems or to a much lesser extent.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I fucking hate Bernie and all other social democrats who try to convince left-wingers that capitalism can be saved. #Revolution2020

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom