Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Turuko

Learned
the common tumblerite seeing muh bad stock market everywhere where it was a borderline autistic historic reference is funny on so many levels

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Especially not one where the game system is so divorced from the story itself. Nothing says "Pirate adventures ahoy!" like wizards and paladins.

Absolutely nothing wrong with wizards and paladins in "pirate adventure". Although it is no surprising that people immediately think of redcoats and ships of the line when there is guns and boats in a setting. The sort of setting which is meant to be more 16th-17th century has nothing preventing existence of paladins and wizards but unfortunately medieval fantasy (usually not medieval in many aspects) has been so much more developed and iterated that its tropes seem improbable in slightly different time settings by convention. It's not even a mash up as one might think, it is just that medieval fantasy borrowed concepts and style from much later eras and now when they are used in appropriate contexts people find them out of place ironically.

Venice2.png

This type of aesthetic is from when ships like galleons existed and did boarding action.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Poe setting is about shot the wizard with a gun, but it never matter in the story. In both game you meet many archmages and and nobody care or have problem with guns.

This is why pirates and guns are meh in poe, they don’t matter at all.

if pirates and cannons are removed nothing change.

Delterius

Arcane
Poe setting is about shot the wizard with a gun, but it never matter in the story. In both game you meet many archmages and and nobody care or have problem with guns.

i shot ppl with guns tbh, was a major part of the story for me

That part where he talks about PoE & DivOS shows that he's still completely delusional and does not understand why PoE2 was such a flop. He actually thinks he was pandering to the IE purists.

In his blunt sales breakdown he made it pretty clear that they lost the more casual audience Divinity OS hoovered up, not the "hardcore" audience. So... he's not wrong, according to their sales data anyway. The idea of Codex types buying it and playing it 100 hours before bitching about it is not surprising. The idea of casuals finding the first one boring, generic or disliking RtwP is not surprising either. Divinity OS is built for broader appeal.
he lost everyone when he decided to make up his own game system. If he had used D20 system he would be working on pillars 3 or 4 right now, that is all there is to it. Too much is made of all the rest.
Normies don't care what system a game uses.
he turned off normies and what would have been his fan base with his shit game system he developed. That is the point. I guarantee you had he simply used dungeons and dragons this would be an entirely different outcome. There is nothing else to discuss really about it. You guys are spazing out about all these details, but its not even that complicated.

edit: dude, calm down with your grammar correction spam. half of you corrections are about not capitalizing letters and other non-spelling errors- so when you label such mistakes "bad spelling" its the same type of fucking error you are obsessing about in the first place and you have removed zero chaos from the universe. You calling not capitalizing letters or a missing comma "bad spelling" is fucking hilarious, since its a misuse of the term "spelling" to mean "grammar". One could imagine two autistic idiots "bad spelling" such a situation into infinity. Furthermore, its like correcting the grammar and spelling in the bathroom stall..... why? nobody cares, its part of the medium..... get a different hobby, maybe try counting the pieces of corn in peoples excrement or something more exciting.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I don't have a problem with pirates in fantasy settings, but before POE2 was announced I was really hoping it would be set in The Living Lands or The White That Wends. Which is why I was disappointed by the Deadfire setting.

Deleted Member 22431

Man, I still remember those kickstarter updates. Developers talking about the lore of PoE, how guns made mages vulnerable, and how you could copy spells from other grimoires. They made it sound like these themes would matter in the world-building and gameplay. Nothing could be further from the truth. I never trusted developers updates after that.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Josh, we know you are reading.

Just stop fucking around and give us Icewind Dale 3, come on.

We will buy some Deadfire copies if you do, I swear. I will buy 10 copies by myself, please.

You managed to bring into the world Icewind Dale 2 with a just year of work, imagine what you could do if you stopped uploading cat photos to twitter and Darklands playthroughs to youtube. Forget PoE, your heart belongs to the Dale.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Josh, we know you are reading.

Just stop fucking around and give us Icewind Dale 3, come on.

We will buy some Deadfire copies if you do, I swear. I will buy 10 copies by myself, please.

You managed to bring into the world Icewind Dale 2 with a just year of work, imagine what you could do if you stopped uploading cat photos to twitter and Darklands playthroughs to youtube. Forget PoE, your heart belongs to the Dale.
He's busy playing Battle Brothers. Let him learn, child.

Elex

Arbiter
The fact there's even a debate about whether you can have pirates and wizards shows what fucking boring ass Tolkien/D&D worshipers most RPG gamers are.
Pirate are more mainstream and boring than D&D fantasy.
Only vampires/werevolves and witches are more abused.

the abused/boring fantasy today is the low magic-gothic fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom