Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failure with Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Roguey, Nov 3, 2019.

1. biggestboss Savant

biggestboss
    I don't care about why the character says it. I care that my character says "I. Hate. Boats." with that exact wording and punctuation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    LotRO’s Loremaster started out* that way. Now it has a pet who can solo most of the content on top of nuking.

* - DreadLocked by goblins in Limuel’s Vineyard. Good times.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Skipped 13 pages to say this.

My experience playing POE 1: I spent two hours with a Ranger before I realized that combat was useless since it doesn't give experience points. So I restarted rolling a Rogue, and solo'ed game in 8 hours stealthing by 90% of the encounters and sniping the rest one enemy at a time.

What is wrong with POE 1 (in order from worst to least worst):

#1. Absurd loading times
    #2. Stupid, embarrassing AI. The enemies basically have no AI. I would kill one enemy, run away, the rest go back into position, then I snipe another one, etc.
    #3. Terrible, boring spell system. After playing around with Eladir Aloth (whatever his name is) and the Chanter, I had no interest whatsoever in the game's magic system with cookie recipe spell effects
    #4. Without a well developed spell system, class differentiation falls apart. Honestly, the only enjoyable class was Rogue
    #5. Without combat experience, combat becomes a chore with no reward, when combat is supposed to be the main gameplay. Therefore basically POE has no real gameplay since stealthing past a fight is the correct choice 90% of the time
    #6. Terrible stat system/ mechanics/ skill system
    #7. Classes are designed for soloing, not for party play. Most classes have so many per/encounter, per/rest abilities that need to be micromanaged that it is a chore with a full party
    #8. The rhythm of the game is off. In the same way that both Arcanum and Path of Exile also have the rhythm off. Infinity Engine got the rhythm of rtwp perfect

Sawyer is probably responsibly for #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7... that puts a lot of the responsibility on him.

UPDATE: Just looked over recent POE discussion. It seems like solo PotD is the only really interesting way to play the game. And even then, rogue is not even considered the easiest class, supposedly Chanter, Wizard, Cipher, Druid, Priest and Paladin are all even easier.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
  5. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Except it does, it's called filling the bestiary.

Resource conservation is also present in PoE and it's not an inherent problem of the lack of pre-buffing, so this is irrelevant.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Soywer really should go work at Piranha Bytes. Shame his German will never exceed kindergarten level.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lichtbringer Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    How many experience points are received from filling the bestiary in relation to the total amount of experience points received from quests? Also, is filling the bestiary required to hit the XP cap or is it a cosmetic feature?

Honest question.

^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    You get more xp from quests obviously, but I don't know the ratio. You hit the xp cap like halfway through the game (a huge problem btw), so half the content is cosmetic in terms of xp.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Riddler Prophet Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    It is absolutely not needed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Atchodas Savant Edgy

Atchodas
    You need to kill enemies so your bestiary updates and you know what defences those enemies have

Show Spoiler
    wait ... that does not make any sense ...

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. MajorMace Learned

MajorMace
    Bestiary filled after defeating enemies is taken from m&mx by the way.
    Or from pokémon depending on your references.

ps : hey guys isn't sawyer, like, stupid ? ahah high five !

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Verylittlefishes Scholar Patron

Verylittlefishes
    The story and lore in PoE was actually good.

It's the execution of that story in game format that was a disaster.

I.Hate.Loading.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Sawyer doesn't seem to realize how consumers think.

PoE1 sales were based on their love of BG.
    PoE2 sales were based on their "love" of PoE1.

There, mystery solved. PoE1 was never good.

• Agree x 14
    • Balanced x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. taviow Magister

taviow
    I think PoE was eventually fine but then it was too late.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. santino27 Arcane

santino27
    Mechanically, I think I'd mostly agree. POE 3.0 was a huge improvement over what launched. The narrative issues didn't go anywhere though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    For me it's the situational aspects that RPGs often use specifically with blood magic where your enemy needs to have blood for it to effect them. Head in with a weapon and other mundane equipment as you engage in melee combat then use the environment to fight your enemy, pick up wood to make the best fire spells you can, whatever water is around can be used to some end, maybe bring gunpowder with you to use magically in the way Gandalf suped up his fireworks with it, etc.

The point though is to make mage users more than just death rainers who stand in place but engage more and require more equipment than a robe and wand. The Fellowship of the Ring tried to do more with the Saruman's reveal but even that has a weird vibe to it and leaves me asking why Gandalf wouldn't dedicate himself to counter Saruman's magic and then charge with his sword (The book gives the impression more that Gandalf realized resistance would get him killed and surrendered hoping to bide his time).

T'was Elrond's in the book and created as a magical trap as the first line of defence of Rivendell, effectively just being water held back in a reserve until the Enemy might to cross which triggers it; could be seen as a good equivalent of the Watchers of Cirith Ungol.

Even then Gandalf later brags to Frodo that it was he that added the horses to the water as he helped add power to it that made it so more potent than a simple flood.

What Arwen does in the movie is simple RPG spell casting.

I find that kinda thing boring as it just makes wizards a simple tier above others. Still is good in a game like Dominions.

LOTR wizards are less than and more an amplifier of those they help. It's a reason why Saruman is dangerous but fragile reliant upon trying to use his charming less to directly dominate the way enchanters usually do in RPGs and more swaying them and causing chaos, effectively being a magical sneaky rogue or thief the way they usually play in RPGs.

In the book there's weird moments of that with Saruman off on his own hiding himself to do things like sabotage Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli by chasing their horses off and avoiding direct confrontation with them.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Which is why I mentioned it. Glad it gave you an opportunity to show off common Tolkien knowledge, though.

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    I liked that game. They really put a lot into it even if it didn't pan out all that well in the end.

Best WoW clone/theme park MMO made I'd say.

I only said something due to you referencing Arwen, and as I said, how different the movie portrays it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Verylittlefishes Scholar Patron

Verylittlefishes
    I almost forgot how fucked up Saruman's arc becomes towards the end of the book, compared to the movie.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez Arcane

Tarantulos-Eduardo-Sanchez
    POE made me think I didn't like IE games anymore unless it was those with heavy nostalgic ties like IWD or BG1. I remember many people praising POE at first and I couldn't get into it. I tried for twenty hours but just couldn't do it. It didn't feel satisfying, there was no sense of wonder, no want to keep exploring. I truly thought that maybe the IE games I loved from yesteryear came at a perfect time in my life.

Then Pathfinder: Kingmaker came out and made me realize that wasn't the case at all. It's more that POE really was a boring slog I was supposed to like because it was pitched as a spiritual successor to a game like BG when deep down POE couldn't hold a candle to it. I didn't keep up with Kingmaker's development cycle but I don't remember it being heavily pushed as the second coming of Baldur's Gate and did its own thing which turned out to be to its advantage since when it did come out, with all those bugs and all, I was stunningly surprised.

POE was pretentious, Kingmaker was ambitious. I'll always take ambition because it at least showed the developer had their heart in the right place. POE felt like I got catfished for years.

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Zoomer detected....there WERE games before the 21st century on PC no less that did the same thing...even way back when procolophonids walked the earth in the 1980's....

^ Top  
  22. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    bestiaries you fill yourself are stupid
    go fucking open a book god DAMN are you really the first person who encountered a fucking goblin in generic fantasy world #329 with millions of goblins?

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  23. Xeon Augur

Xeon
    Yeah, I kinda liked Witcher's approach, where you read a book or something to get a bestiary on the monster and act on it, tho I kinda wish it had a little more impact maybe.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  24. MajorMace Learned

MajorMace
    Sawyer himself mentioned m&mx :roll:

^ Top  
  25. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    spells themselves are ok imo, but the spells effect is implemented badly. "10 seconds buff on X stats" on top of you spending alot of time micromanaging, the buff/debuff expire before you can act. in D&D ruleset based game they are usually counted / round so there is less pressure to you to decide how to act on those buff/debuff period, and ffs tracking buffs/debuffs that are counted in seconds is literally painful.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)