Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

To a dude afraid of his own shadow.

The dumbing down defenses are an ex post facto rationalization of his own fecklessness. If he really hated BG like he pretends to now he'd have never signed on for PoE in the first place.

Exit the warrior, today's Josh Sawyer.

I'm shocked - shocked - that a guy with a Tumblr blog who posts selfies on Twitter all day could be such a pussy.

bataille

Arcane
i don't think i have the critical insight to understand how to move forward with the series. the quality of the game is my responsibility, so if it's really that bad, it's my fault. still, by the numbers we had, general awareness was low outside of our core leading up to the launch.

I wonder why, Sawyer. Who could imagine...

Sorry to keep posting these but I think this one post is worth it

cijxot1.png

"sUbVeRsIvE."

Nothing screams "creatively bankrupt" louder than the notion to mock a desire to make something new, even if the method is as unimaginative and mechanical as subversion. He sounds like a level-headed background guy that should help someone with a racing creative mind not to lose their bearings. The fact that managers/architects-at-heart are forced to fill certain roles as ersatz visionaries speaks volumes of the void of imagination that the medium is currently suffering from.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
"sUbVeRsIvE."

Nothing screams "creatively bankrupt" louder than the notion to mock a desire to make something new, even if the method is as unimaginative and mechanical as subversion. He sounds like a level-headed background guy that should help someone with a racing creative mind not to lose their bearings. The fact that managers/architects-at-heart are forced to fill certain roles as ersatz visionaries speaks volumes of the void of imagination that the medium is currently suffering from.

He sounds like an asshole.

Trashos

Arcane
The fact that managers/architects-at-heart are forced to fill certain roles as ersatz visionaries speaks volumes of the void of imagination that the medium is currently suffering from.

I think it can work. It worked for New Vegas. But for New Vegas Josh worked with greatly creative and talented people, so they complemented each other perfectly. This wasn't the case later, certainly not for Deadfire.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
i don't think i have the critical insight to understand how to move forward with the series. the quality of the game is my responsibility, so if it's really that bad, it's my fault. still, by the numbers we had, general awareness was low outside of our core leading up to the launch.

I wonder why, Sawyer. Who could imagine...

Sorry to keep posting these but I think this one post is worth it

cijxot1.png

"sUbVeRsIvE."

I feel weird after reading this.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This post from Sawyer is EXACTLY why Deadfire sold so poorly. He is completely detached from the reality and he also don't have any idea what players want. He is not even trying.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Crichton

Prophet
I always thought the problem with Deadfire's plot wasn't that you couldn't try to fight Eothas but that the game constantly expected you to try to oppose him even though there was no rational way to do so. The number of times (even playing as a priest of Eothas) where you are given the option to show support for Eothas can be counted on one hand. I kind of like the Eothas storyline but the player has no place in it; there's nothing he can do to stop it and Eothas doesn't need any help.

It would have been infinitely preferable if the plot had been about trying to take advantage of the destruction left in Eothas' wake. Ex. a Rauatai fortress has just had all of its inhabitants harvested by Eothas but been left otherwise intact. Do the player and his crew try to seize it for one of the factions or establish it as their own pirate's cove?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Is someone putting something in the water?
There has to be a rational explanation for the madness of modern society.
When I was a kid I didn't imagine growing up in a world where gender reveals, pipe bombs and genderlessness are mentioned in the same sentence
They don't need to put it in the water. They put it on the television.
Was gonna say this. Tv plus all others form of media

Desiderius

Patron
Is someone putting something in the water?
There has to be a rational explanation for the madness of modern society.
When I was a kid I didn't imagine growing up in a world where gender reveals, pipe bombs and genderlessness are mentioned in the same sentence
They don't need to put it in the water. They put it on the television.
Was gonna say this. Tv plus all others form of media

Modernism hitting the other long tail.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He strikes me as someone who can't resist correcting other people's mistakes, even when it's inappropriate or he's actually in the wrong, although he's probably polite about it. Roguey?

I wouldn't say I'm a dick. I do let people know what I think about their ideas, but I don't think I'm mean-spirited about it. If someone thinks that being critical = being a dick, they must have lived a very sheltered life.

He lacked/probably still lacks tact. As Fairfax will tell you, he was really disliked at Interplay.

Nothing screams "creatively bankrupt" louder than the notion to mock a desire to make something new, even if the method is as unimaginative and mechanical as subversion.

People who set out to subvert expectations without any thought, e.g. Rian Johnson, deserve to be mocked.

Desiderius

Patron
He lacked/probably still lacks tact. As Fairfax will tell you, he was really disliked at Interplay.

The problem isn't tact. It's how he models the mental states of the other intelligent beings with which he shares the planet.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If someone thinks that being critical = being a dick, they must have lived a very sheltered life.

That stands out to me.

To me it sounds like he isn't that aware of his emotions and feelings (or maybe he doesn't feel them that keenly), and thus isn't aware that the people around him have a greater degree and range of sensitivity based on their self-awareness.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If someone thinks that being critical = being a dick, they must have lived a very sheltered life.

That stands out to me.

To me it sounds like he isn't that aware of his emotions and feelings (or maybe he doesn't feel them that keenly), and thus isn't aware that the people around him have a greater degree and range of sensitivity based on their self-awareness.
Someone on the Obsidian forums made this during the Project Eternity days. I saved it because it was appropriate.
7OLgEcv.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
You start as some random dude on a caravan and the first mission is to get some red berries to cure some guy diarrhea, your entire caravan is killed by a bunch of random murder hobos and the game forces you do super entertaining combat of killing a whole party of copy paste muder hobos with only two characters, some random magic pink tornado almost kill you then the game proceeds and you get on a dungeon, after killing some ultra exciting monsters like giant spiders and oozes, you solve some babies first puzzles then you get out.

Some random dude is using some machine and your companions that you barely know are killed, you have nowhere to go but go foward, you arrive on a grimdark village, on grimdark village, some random dead lady says for you to seek Maerwald because you are a Watcher (some random dudes telling what to do is quite a pattern on PoE), you have a few options, 1) to finish the Raedrick castle quest that has one of the hardest fights of the game on the very first town if you do it at this level, 2) Explore the town dungeon with Eder and be murdered by shadows, just, kidding, your only option is: 3) Being hentai raped by shadows and chain stunning specters on some ruined castle.

Hummm, after all this work and 1000 shadows/fampyrs killed, you get to finally meet Maerwald, he is a crazy dude that talk a bunch of irrelevant shit and the game just give you a castle (without anything fun to do with it) and some incredible ultra vague hint of going to the major city of the game to finally discover what the fuck the story of this game is about. After all that, maybe those people that didn't finish act 1 were the wise ones.

Desiderius

Patron
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom