Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Josh Sawyer wants to make a historical RPG

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Last edited by a moderator:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Breaking news: Sawyer does want to make a historical RPG as his next project.

Last edited by a moderator:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Fuck You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer’s Personal Dream RPG Experience confirmed!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So if Saywer currently has a team of 20, that pretty much means it is a lower budget (Like PoE) game. Possibly going to do a pitch with Fig? Or if they are doing well financially (thanks to the MMO) this is self funded?

Fairfax

Arcane
PoE's profits are more than enough to fund the sequel. Could still want that investor money from Fig to "improve the game", though.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
PoE's profits are more than enough to fund the sequel. Could still want that investor money from Fig to "improve the game", though.

It sounds like the historical RPG would not be a PoE sequel.. in fact I am pretty sure that was obvious. So either I misread your post or you are confused as fuck.

Fairfax

Arcane

It sounds like the historical RPG would not be a PoE sequel.. in fact I am pretty sure that was obvious. So either I misread your post or you are confused as fuck.
Yeah, I misread it. Thought he was saying his current small team meant it could be another PoE.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just can't see them working on PoE2 this early? Sure, some preliminary stuff but now a whole dedicated group of 20. It *has* to be something new?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I just can't see them working on PoE2 this early? Sure, some preliminary stuff but now a whole dedicated group of 20. It *has* to be something new?

I disagree.. if they started working on it now you won't see the sequel for at least 2 years.

How is that considered early? I would consider it late..

Prime Junta

Why d'you thinkt? I'd expect them to transition the Pillars team straight to Pillars 2, unless they had something else lined up of course. Even the Pillars expansions have been all done but for the bugfixing for a quite a while, which means all the writers, level designers, sound guys, etc. have been free for a long time.

I'd expect an announcement within six months or so. Release early 2017.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Why d'you thinkt? I'd expect them to transition the Pillars team straight to Pillars 2, unless they had something else lined up of course. Even the Pillars expansions have been all done but for the bugfixing for a quite a while, which means all the writers, level designers, sound guys, etc. have been free for a long time.

I'd expect an announcement within six months or so. Release early 2017.

Nah, that's too soon. In fact, we know that the expansions were worked on a by a full-sized team that was even larger than the base game's. They haven't been working on PoE2 since March 2015, it only started when the second expansion was close to done.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Maybe Josh is heading the New World of Darkness game with Paradox. Surely the Codex would not have a problem with that...

:troll:

agris

Arcane
Patron
So if Saywer currently has a team of 20, that pretty much means it is a lower budget (Like PoE) game. Possibly going to do a pitch with Fig? Or if they are doing well financially (thanks to the MMO) this is self funded?

20 people on preproduction seems like quite a lot, and I believe quite dwarfs the PoE preproduction team (was 5 - 10 iirc?). As others have said, it could indicate that this project is not in pre-pro but instead something churning in production that hasn't been announced, or ramping up in vertical slice.

Fry

Arcane
That would contradict recent Sawyer comments which seem to indicate all they're doing right now is testing new tech and systems ideas.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i think they'd honestly be way better off without this sawyer clown, i don't think he's actually ever made a good game besides fnv

agris

Arcane
Patron
Right. Which is why 20 people sounded like a lot at this point in development.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone ever asked him about his favorite history books on his blog, recommended reading list for medieval history or something? (I think I might've asked this before)

Edit: Ha, turns out I did or at least kind of sort of:

RQ: At the end of the elaborate Numenera corebook, Monte Cook provides a brief list of book titles from which he drew inspiration when he was creating the game (and as good resources for further reading). Could you name a few of yours, while making Pillars?

JS: Sure. They're mostly history books. The rise of Saint Waidwen was inspired by "Peasant Fires: The Drummer of Niklashausen" by Richard Wunderli. The Vailian Republics were inspired by various accounts of the early Renaissance Italian republics, e.g. "The Prince", but also Christopher Hibbert's "The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall". The general panic and malaise of Waidwen's Legacy were inspired by the real pre-19th century infant mortality rates of most of the world (often around 50%) and the Black Death in Europe. Infant mortality caused so much grief that it was sometimes used as the basis for accusations of witchcraft, either against the unfortunate mother or a midwife who had helped with a series of ill-fated births. Of course, people who tried to apply various folk remedies for problems with childbirth also often failed and they could be accused of witchcraft. You can get a good general overview of European witch-hunting hysteria from Kors and Peters' terrific "Witchcraft in Europe, 400-1700: A Documentary History".

The machinations of the Hand Occult and the Leaden Key are the only parts that are really inspired by fiction -- though admittedly works of historical fiction by Umberto Eco. "The Name of the Rose" deals with murders in a monastic order that revolve around the preservation (and containment) of knowledge. Baudolino's titular character conspires with his friends at the University of Paris to write various false histories to legitimize Frederick I's rule. Their false histories and the false histories written by other parties wind up becoming part of the historical canon, i.e. "real" history as far as anyone knows.

Amazing answer, Josh is pretty :obviously: . I wonder what his favorite history books are.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Has anyone ever asked him about his favorite history books on his blog, recommended reading list for medieval history or something? (I think I might've asked this before)

The Darklands manual has an extensive list of recommended reading (mostly academic books) and books used as inspiration for the game.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I have heard about that, though in this case I am more interested in Joshs personal interests with regard to history.

Beastro

Arcane

The Darklands manual has an extensive list of recommended reading (mostly academic books) and books used as inspiration for the game.

If he's making a spiritual successor to it then he needs to suck it up, keep the historical facts dry and have the characters act like they would.

A big thing about Darklands is how straight its played with no chance to think of witches as the servants of the devil are presented as such. To have the game be Millennials LARPing around with today's mores, or a twisted over the top wink, wink, nudge, nudge version of it ala WH40k will make the game unbearable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom