Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Journey to the Centre of Arcanum - CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by ironyuri, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    Proposed soundtrack for current update:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    A1

Let's get the glory of being the first into the entrance while Cochrane documents.

^ Top  
  3. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    It's likely that she'll come along on the hike either way, but by choosing 1 you're charged with her care as long as she's alive (which is your duty). Each possibility should have some benefit/detriment.

^ Top  
  4. Monty Arcane

Monty
    Didn't we also get a box of bullets to reload our clips?

^ Top  
  5. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    Yes. Those will be brought ashore with the supplies. I'll add some clips to the inventory, but its doubtful we can lug a box around.

Edit: What we can carry, vs: what we are able to access will work on the basis of rest/resupply. I'll add inventory to the end of each update once we're on our way down. As long as the supplies aren't lost/destroyed, we'll be moving down progressively with new base camps, if the pistol ever becomes broken/useless we won't have to worry (hence the sword bayonet).

^ Top  
  6. Monty Arcane

Monty
    A1

'A' because the only thing more important to us than self-preservation is our acute sense of social status. The commanding officer should be with the Professor not setting up camp. We need to take every opportunity to keep Maug in his place. The journalist can document our amazing discovery of the cave while Maug hammers in tent pegs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    The two first class privates who have been attached to the mission (Henderson & Jenks) are basically like redshirts in Star Trek for all intents and purposes. I won't flesh them out much, eventhough I don't like the idea of having random nameless characters whose sole purpose is narrative expedience, but think of them as disposable/expendable. Of course, don't piss them off too much, because there is another officer on the mission that might lead them mutinously against you.

For most outings, you'll have the fire support of one competent low-ranking soldier (unless one or both of them are killed), or should Maug acommpany you, the two support soldiers will remain at camp to guard the supplies.

^ Top  
  8. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    A3, she's not part of the team. She's on her own, let her go her own way.

^ Top  
  9. Statik Educated

Statik
    This. We'll not get any prestige from staying behind and setting up tents, and, considering what happened to our cousin because of the press, I'm not too keen on letting the journalist roam free or assigning her to our rival. Taking charge of her care should give us some control over what she does, and having someone to document our glorious deeds of heroism is a plus.

^ Top  
  10. Kashmir Slippers Augur

Kashmir Slippers
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  12. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    A3

The journalist will write whatever she wants, whether we stick close to her or not. And even if she wrote a positive story, there's no guarantee that the newspaper would publish it as written. I suggest we find some way to blackmail her and her paper.

^ Top  
  13. grotsnik Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

grotsnik
    Aye - B3. The reporter will surely go with the Professor in the hope of witnessing this historic moment, and it sounds as if the other two will be busy with the practical arrangements. Leaving our hero plenty of time to rummage through her belongings.

^ Top  
  14. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    You have gained a new trait: Dirty Knickers Thief.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  16. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    A1. This should be amusing, at least.

^ Top  
  17. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    A1

It is clear that our goals now include tumbling Miss Cochrane, so she can spread the tale of both our heroism and virility.

^ Top  
  18. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    A1 naug is better at defense then us and we want lil ol' journalist alive

^ Top  
  19. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    God this is a great LP.

^ Top  
  20. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    B3

Why run into this expedition head first? Much better to sit back and and uh "look" over the supplies.

I don't have a strong opinion about what to do with Ms Cochrane, but I feel at this time it's best to stay on the sideline. Alluring though she may be, she is sure to cause us problems in the future.

^ Top  
  21. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    Current voting tally: A: 11; B: 4

1: 6; 2: 1; 3: 7 (Salvius second vote can't be counted to any of the three current options)

^ Top  
  22. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    A3. While B is a good option too, I feel at the moment, especially having disclosed the identity of the other party, there's not a lot to be done if we sit back and wait - unless we pick B1 and try and butter up Ms. Cochrane, but given our miserable failure with Maug, perhaps we should be more cautious about trying to solve things 'diplomatically'. Let's see what the expedition brings up.

^ Top  
  23. Computer Gamer Refugee Learned

Computer Gamer Refugee
    Project: Eternity
    A1

We need to keep the reporter close. Assuming that we can favorably influnce her (and/or stick it in). This is all about what is said about us at home and the story that is told is the one that really matters to our dear hero. Assuming that we don't die or piss her off then we have a huge advantage. I am thinking about how a slanderous story about being saved by a half-orc vice the true story about us leading a cunning ambush against the bandits.

^ Top  
  24. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Well, I think the character is too much of a self-save to really influence the reporter in any way. That's why I think we should let her do her own thing.
    We may be the right type in the right circumstances, but these are hardly the right circumstances.
    Our little Kleinmann is a fish out of water right now.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)