Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review JRPG Codex Review: Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Carpe Fulgur; Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone; Lizsoft

Yeah, I know we don't normally cover JRPGs and the Codex is going down the toilet. But if you want other kinds of reviews, why don't you write one? Consider this an official call for more WRPG review submissions.

So anyway, some time ago I played through and then replayed a game called Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone, a 2D party-based side-scrolling action RPG originally released by the Japanese developer Lizsoft and localized earlier this year by Carpe Fulgur, the company who also published Recettear and Chantelise. Initially I didn't plan on writing a review or anything. But yesterday I thought 'why not?', and here's the result. Have a snippet:

Every character eventually learns a lot of spells and abilities, and using them correctly without sticking to just one or two is crucial. The abilities are mostly well-balanced in that you can, and should, alternate between them to handle all kinds of situations efficiently. Ignoring the variety of spells and abilities at your disposal can make some scenarios much harder than they should be. This is particularly the case on Hard, although even on Normal different situations usually call for different tactics. It doesn't help that, as mentioned, the enemies can be surprisingly clever, dodging your attacks and taking advantage of the pauses you make in your movement. They can also inflict different kinds of status ailments on you - making you poisoned, frozen, asleep, paralyzed, and confused - and it is every bit as bad as it sounds, especially given that you remain frozen, asleep or paralyzed for a rather long period of time and poison, on top of being strong, does not wear off as long as you stay inside the dungeon.

Not just the AI, but the enemy variety is quite pleasant as well. Enemies block, flank, stunlock, poison and confuse you, fly, jump, do leap and ranged attacks, cast powerful spells, heal themselves, float out of your attack or spell range, and move faster than you do. When defeated, they drop coins and occasionally treasure chests. In the very beginning of the game, you will fight bats who dive in on you at what seems like the most unpredictable moment and evade your attempts to reach them, slimes that deal quite a bit of damage with their tentacles if you get too close, snakes that poison you, and mothbees who put you to sleep and sting you from a distance if you stay in one place for too long. Later you will encounter lightning fast sabercats, ranged archers, mushrooms that release toxic clouds, kobolds more than capable of sword fighting and even blocking your attacks, acorn-throwing cocorats who can also jump-kick your butt, merkids with their long-range tridents and powerful magicians with devastating spells to accompany them, and other regular monsters not to count bosses, each with a unique pattern that is flexible, not rigid, and tries to adapt to your actions. And don't even get me started on the freaking harpies. As a rule, every enemy that appears brings something new - a new kind of frustration - to the table, and that is no small feat on the designer's part. That also makes discovering the best way to handle an enemy type extremely rewarding.

On both Normal and Hard, enemies are fairly tough and don't just go down in one or two hits, draining your MP and always eager to significantly reduce your not too high HP. Some of the enemy moves have a chance of knocking your character down, rendering her helpless for a fair bit of time. Things get especially dangerous when there are multiple enemies of different types on the screen that complement each other with their abilities. In such cases, you have to carefully pick the attack spot and choose which foes to focus on first and how to evade the rest while timing your moves to take advantage of the enemy's moments of immobility and interrupt their spellcasting. That is also when the combat gets the most tactical, requiring you to put thought into the situation and keep the whole picture in mind instead of just rushing headlong to your inevitable demise. The enemies are also quick to repopulate the previously explored areas - the good thing being, they do not seem to scale to your level, so that low-level areas will remain low-level no matter when you revisit them. Encounters are hand-designed, not random, and many of them are avoidable if you simply run past them fast enough; a welcome thing when you just need to get to the next destination quickly.​

Read the full article: JRPG Codex Review: Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone

Next up on JRPG Codeksu~ okay I'm just kidding ^_^

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I will read the review, but first this:

ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅH CODEXUUUUUUUUrururururu
Kawaii_Nibbles_by_puruno.jpg

Marsal

Arcane
Get this shit off the front page and ban Crooked Bee! Are you people serious? Who authorized this? I sincerely hope Crooked Bee has gone rogue.

Why don't you review some Facebook RPGs, while you're at it? This is just embarrassing for the "prestigious magazine". At least have the decency to hide it in a jRPG forum or something. When Google picks up on this, there will be a rush of weeaboos. It's not like we don't have too many already.

In b4 Jaesun, weeaboo squad and white knight brigade...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
A word of warning: despite being a very hardcore game, Fortune Summoners is heavy on anime that creates the impression of being aimed at ten year old girls (which it isn't)
Or that means that ten years old girls in Japan are more hardcore than most western gamers... :smug:

Anyway, the absolute lack of good RPGs made me learn to enjoy this kind of titles. I find depressing that we have to wait years for a decent (but still easy & simple) dungeon-crawler like Legend of Grimrocck, while the JRPG KODEXU bros bathe thenselves in tons of great, complex and hard dungeon-crawlers like Etrians Odissey....Thanks for the review Bee, I love Castlevania-like 2D games, so I'll add it to my list. :salute:

lightbane

Arcane
What kind of shit is this?? This is not a true rpg to be covered by our prestigious magazine, it lacks diabolically evil DRM/spyware and/or emotionally challenging content :M

Mortmal

Arcane
I did read the review, well i can stomach ascii, or play 8bit platformers , so lets have an open mind and get past the art design. Maybe the game is entertaining if she put the effort to write about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Get this shit off the front page and ban Crooked Bee! Are you people serious? Who authorized this? I sincerely hope Crooked Bee has gone rogue.

Why don't you review some Facebook RPGs, while you're at it? This is just embarrassing for the "prestigious magazine". At least have the decency to hide it in a jRPG forum or something. When Google picks up on this, there will be a rush of weeaboos. It's not like we don't have too many already.

mYaWS.png

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you want some editing or have some ideas for write-ups... let me know. I'd be happy to help.

We're always looking for reviews of recent RPGs/ARPGs as well as retrospective articles on older ones, so if you could choose an (A)RPG you particularly enjoy or hate and do a write-up about it, that'd be cool.

Alex

Arcane
While I don't care for JRPGs anymore, I don't mind them being discussed, as long as they don't become the focus of the site.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

mYaWS.png

nwkwU.jpg

Marsal

Arcane
While I don't care for JRPGs anymore, I don't mind them being discussed, as long as they don't become the focus of the site.
It's way beyond being discussed. That battle was lost when jRPG discussion was allowed in GRPG forum. Now this garbage is pinned on the home page, before the interview with the GURPS guy.

This is like that "teach the controversy" bullshit. Why must RPGCodex allow discussion of console RPGs and jRPGs? Buy jRPGCodex.net domain and knock yourselves out!
:decline:

Johannes

Arcane
It's way beyond being discussed. That battle was lost when jRPG discussion was allowed in GRPG forum. Now this garbage is pinned on the home page, before the interview with the GURPS guy.

This is like that "teach the controversy" bullshit. Why must RPGCodex allow discussion of console RPGs and jRPGs? Buy jRPGCodex.net domain and knock yourselves out!
:decline:
You mean, they're not only being discussed, but that someone actually likes them?
:mob:

Kz3r0

Arcane
After 11/11/11 any pretense to be hardcore for 90% of the posters here has gone, so stop complaining.

Duckard

Augur
2400 A.D. to this. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I usually don't care about art style but this is a bit to saccharine even for me. Plus, even if it's good it's more like a metroidvania type of game, which is different from what I come here for. Should've done a dungeon crawler if you were going to do a JRPG, I think.

Cassidy

Arcane
After 11/11/11 any pretense to be hardcore for 90% of the posters here has gone, so stop complaining.

It was the day most of RPGCodex formally surrendered to the blitzkrieg of popamole and decline, except for a minuscle Free KKKodex that struggles against the Vichy Codex Quislings and Collaborateurs of the Decline to this day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom