Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JRPG OST thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

This one was fairly catchy.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
FF4 OST had great arrangements too I especially like Celtic Moon album and I think the Piano arrangement for FF4 is the best one out of all the piano arrangements

but in-game FF6 had the best Nobuo Uematsu compositions the man simply outdid himself with FF6 OST drawing a lot from jazz and from fugues and using odd string and mouth instruments like for Shadows theme.

FF6 OST just manages to set a mood and ambiance immediately with every single track I honestly dont think there is a single track on that OST that could be dispensed with.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great pieces to go with great visuals in FF9 and Chrono Cross:

A cool village theme from Shadow Hearts:

And a good dungeon theme from Digital Devil Saga:

Hellraiser

Arcane
The first two Golden Sun games, the GBA was no SNES sound wise, but the composer really pushed the hardware.

How the fuck did he pull off these tribal drums:

By far the best boss theme in both games:

Venus Lighthouse theme, the perfect track to climbing your way up to triumph:

My favourite recurring dungeon theme:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
persona 1 OST is a masterpiece (persona 2 EP ost is good too)

persona 3-5 OSTs are fucking cancer yeugh

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this is persona music:

THIS is persona battle music:

this is true velvet room music:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this is the hospital theme from persona 1 ost:

it evokes so many comforting feelings. Gaaah im getting huge urge to play Persona 1 again!! I wish I could play it again for the first time... such a fucking great game.

Viata

Arcane
Persona 2 EP have a really good map theme:

SMT: Nocturne world theme(aka "good luck knowing where to go") is amazing:

I think the best ost in Soul Hackers is the map theme:

Devil Summoner has the weakest map theme in the series, imo, but I still like it:

However, its final battle ost is amazing:

I find it fitting to the final boss.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Viata
Nocturne OST is really top-notch as well. Man what a game.

BTW Ive always been confused about this: the first SMT Devil Summoner only came out for JPN Sega Saturn correct/ and it has never been translated right/

The SECOND SMT Devil Summoner would be SOUL HACKERS then/ does Soul Hackers continue any story elements from the Sega Saturn SMT Devil Summoner 1 game/

/ = question marks (I lost my question mark key due to spilled coffee)

EDIT: And the Devil Summoner Raidou games are spin-offs where do those fit in/

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oh thats Dorars channel of course he wouldve played it.

Im honestly amazed there are actually still SMT games untranslated... like SMT If !

Gerrard

Arcane
The first two Golden Sun games, the GBA was no SNES sound wise, but the composer really pushed the hardware.
Golden Sun music is glorious, such a shame they never released an official soundtrack or arranges like Sakuraba did with Valkyrie Profile. Fucking Nintendo.

And of course the magnificent orchestra of the main theme, just listen how many different instruments it uses.

Man, I still remember typing in some 14 pages of that fucking code to transfer data to the second game. Those were the days.

Vorark

Erudite
I'm not going to listen to all these tracks. The worst thing is scrolling down a topic and seeing like 400 Youtube videos that I will never listen to. People should post one or two videos, talk about why I should listen to them or what's good about them or something interesting about them, instead of dumping 6 videos without any commentary.

Pretty good idea, actually. Went back and added brief descriptions to the videos I posted.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Drahkken on SNES had some really unique-sounding musical themes and sound effects although the entire fuckig game was very dreamy and surreal...

this theme titled NIGHT IN THE FOREST (plays when night falls in wooded areas) is very strangely sorrowful for what is essentially ambiance music:

this is the weird super up-beat drum and bass guitar theme that plays during Character Creation -- it sounds more like something youd hear in Rock n Roll racing (it even has a wicked synth drum solo):

And this is the music that plays when you enter a tavern... this sounds like some bizarre carnival music with the accordian and the synths:

This entire game is just one deeply weird RPG and I have to mention the sound effects as well - when you tal to game NPCs they bark at you in muffled sounds meant to represent speech that just sound otherworldy and creepy.

Also you can get lol-random killed by a flying black Cat Head that appears at night and shoots lasers at you.

Here is brief clip of someone stumbling on the Cat Head and dying lol:

EDIT: The original versions amiga tracks probably sound lots better. I wanted to find the best of all the tracks one from an Ice dungeon but I couldnt find it so gave up.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Tales of Phantasia (SNES version)

ToP is actually an interesting case where the official soundtrack that was released was for the PSX version, but with even higher quality sound since the game still used tracked music and was obviously limited in how much space the samples could take.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I remember playing and really really enjoying Tales of Phantasia via fan-translated SNES rom back in the day.

also who can we forget SUPER MARIO RPG OST! I like the Final Fantasy-ized take on marios traditional Castle theme:

Geno Awakens is a nice track:

I find this tune from the Monstro Town quite jaunty:

Often overlooked gem of an OST composed by Koji Kondo and Nobuo Uematsu

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
but forget that mario shit lets be real... no SNES jrpg soundtrack bats SECRET OF MANA.

FEAR OF THE HEAVENS (music that plays on title screen as the mana tree is slowly revealed):

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So I always thought the Mysidia track from FFIV sounded familiar. Here's why.

Some other favorites of mine:

(Yes, I choose those versions specifically)

And this track reminds of a song, but I can't nail down which one. The beginning, especifically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom