Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just added a Mario 3 style overmap to our Tactics RPG. Thoughts?

balthatrix

Literate
Hi! Check out this video, where I show off the prototyped overmap interactions for our game Season of Arena.

What are your honest thoughts about the concepts presented?

zer0sum

Zero Sum Games
Developer
I watched your video. I think the overworld plan totally works. I think you should have very clear icons to indicate which nodes have an encounter. i.e. a shop icon, or a battle icon, etc. Pixel art can be hard to read at the best of times, so something that contrasts well against your palette and draw my eye can help me understand the map at glance - that's good.

On the tactical map likewise I would make damage numbers pop more with bigger numbers and better contrast. The shop looks cool and the paper doll looks cool. All things considered it seems like a solid concept.

Check out Longsword - Tabletop Tactics on Steam. There's a demo. This is my game and I have a similar overworld map. It's way different graphically, I'm going like hardcore 3D stuff. But one of my favorite tactical RPGs is Tales of Maj'Eyal which is basic sprite graphics. You can run with your style and make a rad game, but I would push that overworld tile art super hard. Just make it overflow with detail to make me want to explore the world.

Also check out Domina; it's a pixel gladiator game that looks pretty rad.

/rambling

balthatrix

Literate
Hi, thanks for your thoughtful feedback sir!

We are planning to add some shiny/emissive sprites for shops and encounters. For shops, I was imagining we would make a little shop cart or something similar. For the encounters, you gave me a good idea. We can add an enemy overmap character, similar to the little hammer bros guy in Mario 3:
il_570xN.496587245_so8b.jpg

About the damage numbers, great idea! I've made a ticket to make damage stick out more.

Your game Longsword looks extremely epic! Honestly I was making Season of Arena so I could work my say up to making something more fancy like Longsword. Congratulations on how far you've gotten that game. I'm getting the demo to check it out.

Actually I've already checked out Domina. My composer suggested it! Very cool game. I'm hoping to add some blood and guts effects like those in that game. I really like the body explosion FX in Baldur's Gate :)

Thanks again for your great feedback.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom