Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Just bought Freespace 2

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Admiral jimbob, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Santander02 Arcane

Santander02
    In particular "Return to Ross 128" and "Hellfire" are both a pain in the ass

Word of advice, if you are going to try user made campings after you're done with freespace 2, most are balanced for the "medium" difficulty setting and playing on "hard" is sort of a "enter at your own risk" choice.

Still, that doesn't prevent some people from playing on "Insane" as much as they can :P

^ Top  
  2. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Wasteland 2
    Yeah, I just had to shrug and set Hellfire on Easy, I have absolutely no idea how I was supposed to beat that one on anything else. I think one of the cruisers escaped even on that.

^ Top  
  3. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Wasteland 2
    FS2 is awesome :love:

Have to play it on Medium, though, Hard proved just too much for me on some missions. I am not a man :( game seems to be getting easier after midpoint, though.

^ Top  
  4. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Project: Eternity
    Yes, same happened to me. The game is clearly balanced towards Medium difficulty. On hard it often happened that for instance, a particular ship I was supposed to protect got destroyed even before I had a chance to fly to it. :(

Still, I only recently got over the game. I will certainly return to it when they release enhanced inferno mod or Diaspora - whichever comes first :)

I trust you are already using MediaVP for the campaign? Hell, the game looks simply amazing with it. Freespace 2 modding community is simply the best :love:

^ Top  
  5. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Wasteland 2
    Of course, full SVP pack and MediaVPs. Looks absolutely stunning.

I'm assuming a fair few fan campaigns follow on from the end of FS2, since I know it ends on a cliffhanger. Any suggestions for the best of them?

^ Top  
  6. Raapys Arcane

Raapys
    Cliffhanger? Can't really recall there being much of a cliffhanger, but maybe I'm not remember all of it.

Anyway, yeah, I know of at least one really awesome mod/campaign: Derelict. Pretty sure it's the best one out there, but it's been a while since I did my last Freespace run. Decent voice-overs, good mission-design and a page-turner storyline. I believe it starts shortly after the end of the FS2 main campaign.

^ Top  
  7. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Wasteland 2
    Maybe not a cliffhanger, but the general gist seems to be "the Shivans all bugger off for no reason and nobody knows why". A tad unsatisfying, maybe. Thanks for the recommendation, will give it a look.

^ Top  
  8. Raapys Arcane

Raapys
    Might not be entirely satisfying to everyone, but there's definitely closure. I thought it was well done.

^ Top  
  9. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Project: Eternity
    Yes, there are plenty of those. However, storywise they contradict each other. Mind you, I'm no expert I haven't played them all. Still, here are a few of my favourites

Vassago's Dirge - quite fun but a little bit too short campaign. It can get ultra racist at times. Shivans as the major threat again. One thing that bothered me was the use of classical music for the soundtrack... It felt off with all the ships huge and small blasting each other on screen. Still, very fun experience.

Derelic - one of the first mods for FS2. For graphics whores it is fortunate that it is now fully compatible with MediaVP. The only one complaint I have with it is that it too often relies on waves of enemies What I mean here is sth like this: 3 enemy fighters emerged from subspace!!! :30 sec later: 3 enemy fighters emerged from subspace!!! :30sec later: you won't guess what! 3 enemy fighters emerged from subspace zzzzzzzzz. Fortunately, it is a HUGE mod (think fs2 original campaign) with a variety of missions, tasks, and quite surprising plot twists. I noticed it gets better later on. The last mission is simply racist... in a fun way. :)

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - they decided to go for personalised story with the pilot you are playing having a fully dubbed voice... and that was their mistake. Seriously, not only the plot is nothing special, the way it is delivered is simply frustrating. The protagonist is just so bloody annoying with he voice, the lines he utters, the nonsense he spits that it elludes comprehension. Not only that, because the campaign is "story-driven" most of dialogues take place during missions. Result? Long periods where literarily a great deal of nothing happens. Why do I recommend it then? Several reasons. 1) The missions where actually something happens can get really intense. 2) Many many new ships - from battlecruisers, carriers through corvetes to new fighters... Frankly, their quality is simply astounding - like they were made by AAA developers, not some random moders 3) A few new weapons to knock enemy hull against (I :love: you Balor cannon) 4) Missions with plenty of ships spitting plasma/ion fire on each other (boner) 5) Delicious plot twist at the end 6) It is a prequel to Blue Planet: War in Heaven

Blue Planet: War in Heaven - again, like its predecessor, a story driven campaign... but better. Much better. Maybe its because the campaign is not voiced, or the protagonist is a chick 7 times more manly than the wuss from the Age of Aquarious but it somehow works. Well, they also added a mechanism to skip dialogues while playing so you can avoid boring shit. Positive things 1) Many more capital ships with completely different weaponry then what we are used to from FS2 (plot justified) 2) Three more fighters, two of which with new fighting capabilities (you will understand what I mean when you fly them), 3) Due to the nature of the side you play on, completely new weapon loadouts, both missiles, and cannos. 4) Very long missions with varied objectives changing depending on your performance + some minor C&C from previous missions 5) Due to missions being very long and hard the system of checkpoints was implemented - no, it's not :decline: - trust me. 6) Music!!! They put very fun, very fitting tracks into the game 7) From story standpoint - generally very military-like mission structure with enemies using tactics, vectoring surprise attacks, jamming your communications, retreating when heavily damaged, calling for reinforcements etc. It's all scripted but it's great make-believe. 8) Connected to the previous point - the fact that you are issued orders in a very sensible fashion - it just pays to listen to what HQ has to say about the developments on the battlefield e.g. when they order you to retreat before your own battlecruisers unleash nuclear fire, or run for cover behind capital ships when they identify fighter-sweep bombers loaded with Trebushets. 9) There are a few VERY intense missions 10) Plotwise it is quite impressive. Although I wasn't that much interested in the protagonist, I found myself captivated by the background info - about developments on the front, info about you superiors, Admirals and their plans of campaign. It really has good old FS2 vibe to it... I would even dare say it is sometimes better.

After mixed bag that was Blue Planet one I was positively impressed - which by sheer volume of the description is pretty evident, I guess. ;)

There's also that Beyond the Red Line Battlestar Galactica demo. Only two short mission but it had all marks of a great game. I guess I'll be still looking forward to that team's Diasopora

^ Top  
  10. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    The FS2 ending is nice because it retains your position as a cog in the wheel, so to speak. There's no final mission to kill all the Shivans or destroy their only weakness. In a nice twist, what might be the last mission in just about any other game (where you destroy the mother-huge ship you fight with the Collosus - the Ravana?) turns out to be a pretty significant "oh shit" moment.

Anyway, the ending also maintains the mystical and... alien-ness of the Shivans. What do they want? What are their objectives? No one seems to know. I can't really remember what happens with the general or admiral that defects to the Shivans. I think he defects successfully, but some of his crew gets boned. I remember that ties in.

^ Top  
  11. Lunac Arcane

Lunac
    Fucken freshman!

^ Top  
  12. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Wasteland 2
    :lol: what an ending. I'm not sure if I made it to the node or not - I started jumping, but then it seemed to show the star exploding and catching me just after I, er, left the system - and it kicked me to a debriefing screen which helpfully told me no debriefing was available. And both the endings are available to view in the options. I'll go with that.

Anyway, thanks Mrowak, will check those out.

^ Top  
  13. Shackleton Arbiter Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    :necro:

Just raising this from the dead to say that Freespace 2, one of the best space shooters ever released, is currently £2.69 brexit pounds in the summer sale. If anyone else apart from me purchased a HOTAS for Elite Dangerous before coming to the conclusion the game was actually boring as hell, here is a good way to get some use out of it. I've got the original game box in the loft along with my other antique classics, but the convenience of having it in my digital library is easily worth a couple of quid.

(Disclaimer- I accept no responsibility if your HOTAS doesn't work with this, all joysticks used at own risk.)

https://www.gog.com/game/freespace_2?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. pm_675 Educated

pm_675
    Yes it is. Another great space sim, not discussed here, is the Independence War series.

Newtonian mechanics ftw.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)