Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Just got a new system...need some modern RPG reccomendations

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by RolePlayer, May 8, 2011.

1. RolePlayer Augur

RolePlayer
    I just got a new system that will allow me to play some modern games. I know the general consensus here is that MOST modern games (RPGs) suck and have no where near the depth/complexity/replay value of RPGs from the 90s-early part of the 21st century.

I'm looking for a modern game (something in the last 5 years or so) that is closest to the quality of, say: Planescape, Fallout, Morrowind, & Arcanum.

Is new Fallout Vegas any good? (forgive my ignorance, I've been out of the loop for a while)

^ Top  
  2. SoupNazi Arcane Patron

SoupNazi
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Yeah, New Vegas is possibly the only recent game that's worth your attention.

^ Top  
  3. ChristofferC Magister

ChristofferC
    Yeah, only one I can think of is New Vegas.

^ Top  
  4. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    Congratulations, your system is now capable of running Mask of the Betrayer smoothly on the seminal Aurora engine.

^ Top  
  5. thesisko Emissary

thesisko
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    NWN2 + Expansions
    The Witcher
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Risen
    New Vegas
    Divinity 2 DKS

Also, some say the Drakensang games are worth playing.

^ Top  
  6. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Congratulations! You can now run DOS games at 10,000 frames per second.

^ Top  
  7. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    What MMXI said.

Also, LOL @ OP.

Ookay, your new system might actually handle Knights of the Chalice, or the imminent Grimoire release sometime in the coming century. But chances are, your old system could, too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dark Messiah: Combat
    Alpha Protocol: C&C
    Risen: Exploration
    NWN2 + Expansions: Story (MoTB) and great RP
    New Vegas: Exlporation + Fallout like atmosphere
    Te Witcher: Because TW2 is coming and may be really good.

^ Top  
  9. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    Well, the nicest thing about new computers is cranking the video settings and looking old games new ways.

You may wan to try FO3 with the upgraded textures from the nexus, plus all the other optional graphics packs. Same with NV. If you own Oblivion, you could do the same, but I don't want to get beat up so I'll skip that. But I'll second MotB. Also, probably isn't a problem for anyone, but you can also crank the settings in old games such as KotOR and have a very crisp expierience.

^ Top  
  10. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    Also you get the magic of making your old games run on Windows 7 with the newer video drivers. When everything crashes, roll back your video driver to a previous one. That's about the best advice I can give.

^ Top  
  11. Ruprekt Scholar

Ruprekt
    On that topic: dungeon siege (and the U5/6 remakes) now works again properly with nvida+win 7.

^ Top  
  12. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    All heartily recommended. Some people here dislike those games for various reasons, but I'd say they've all got some good qualities to them and are worth a try... can't really compare to the quality of older games, but I wouldn't say any of those qualify as outright bad. If you're a fan of older Infinity Engine etc. titles, then at the very least you should enjoy Neverwinter Nights 2 and possibly Dragon Age, while Risen, Divinity and New Vegas are more if you're interested in a sandboxy kind of RPG. None really qualifies as a "modern classic" but I don't think the state of affairs is nearly as bad as some make it out to be. The Witcher is definitely the most story-driven of them, but also the most linear, so you may not enjoy it depending on what you're looking for.

Oh, and although you could probably play it on a 386, Mount & Blade: Warband (or With Fire & Sword if you like muskets) is a lot of fun, though it's more along the lines of management/sim/sandbox with RPG trim than full-on RPG. You'll at least want to try out the demo. I could also say take a look out for the STALKER series if you want an open-world shooter with realistic ballistics and RPG-style quests and inventory management, with items taking place of stats etc.

^ Top  
  13. SoupNazi Arcane Patron

SoupNazi
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Yeah, I forgot Risen. Why would anyone want to recommend DA:O I will never understand however

^ Top  
  14. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    This

^ Top  
  15. Arcanoix Scholar

Arcanoix
    Electron Engine, i.e. Aurora 2006, as opposed to BioWare's Aurora 2007 (Witcher) engine.

^ Top  
  16. RolePlayer Augur

RolePlayer
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm a sucker for the post apocalyptic environment of Fallout, so I'm going to go with that first.

^ Top  
  17. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    There are also a lot of games on the horizon, too. Diablo 3, Deus Ex:HR, Skyrim, and I believe Dark Souls is coming to the PC.

^ Top  
  18. Tycn Savant

Tycn
    Source?

^ Top  
  19. Nilwarp Novice

Nilwarp
    Same here.
    That game is full of stupid black and white alternatives - or if we wan't to fool the audience like Bioware likes to do, dark and light grey alternatives.
    My best (and basically only) memory from that game is two voice actor's performances: "Your desire" from the woman and "Enchantment? Enchantment!" from the boy.

By the way, I have not tried NV yet, as I have been told it is based on the FO3 shit, with stupid VATS and completely fucked SPECIAL system.
    Are the new faction-oriented quests really worth a try? Does it help forget the console FPS feeling of the FO3 crap?

^ Top  
  20. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
  21. empi Augur

empi
    Risen
    Fallout New Vegas
    Mask of the betrayer
    The Witcher
    Divinity 2 DKS, definately.

^ Top  
  22. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=195
    1. Yes 2. No.

^ Top  
  23. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    Wait for The Witcher 2, I guess.

Other than that, you've got The Witcher, Risen & Gothic 3 (in that order of preference). Skip F3:NV and DA:O unless it's for purely informational purposes (don't expect a good game out of those titles).

^ Top  
  24. Eyeball Arcane

Eyeball
    Disagree with 1ek. Witcher bored me, New Vegas was good, especially the DLC, and Divinity 2 was also most enjoyable.

DAO and the Mass Effect games look nice but have pretty weak writing and MMO-style combat in the case of DA and utter shit cover based combat in the case of ME. If that's your thing, go for it, but I'd avoid it if I were you. Still, they DO look nice, so piracy is recommended.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)