Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just got a new system...need some modern RPG reccomendations

SoupNazi

MMXI said:
SoupNazi said:
SoupNazi said:
New Vegas is the best out of all Fallouts.
:M

You forgot that it's also better than Wasteland. Get your facts straight FFS.

RolePlayer

Augur
Wow, it seems like there's quite a bit of controversy on what people deem acceptable offerings in the genre. Definitely have the a lot of recommendations and titles to at least give a whirl. Thanks for all the contributions. Great feedback.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RolePlayer said:
Wow, it seems like there's quite a bit of controversy on what people deem acceptable offerings in the genre. Definitely have the a lot of recommendations and titles to at least give a whirl. Thanks for all the contributions. Great feedback.

There is?

Kraszu

Prophet
Gothic 3 /w CP 1.74 with alternative balancing, and alternative AI + ini edit to increase view ranges.

SoupNazi

MMXI said:
But that goes without saying. Wasteland is better than any Fallout.
Stop the bullshits and start the truths. Wasteland is the worst of the series.

MMXI

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
MMXI said:
But that goes without saying. Wasteland is better than any Fallout.
Stop the bullshits and start the truths. Wasteland is the worst of the series.
It's not part of the series you dumbfuck. :smug:

Kotep

Novice
Divinity II DKS. Don't worry about playing the earlier game, though if you want to, you can. (It's called Divine Divinity. Don't play Beyond Divinity, it's kind of crap.)

Risen isn't amazing but it's definitely worth a play, especially when Risen 2 is on the horizon and looking better than the first.

Also, Morrowind. It seems odd to be suggesting an older RPG, but with a new system, you'll be able to crank up the graphics to eye-fuckingly retarded levels.

Captain Shrek

Just because something is Old does not automatically make it good. Not saying anything in particular, just stating a fact.

Gord

Arcane
To get Morrowind graphics "to eye-fuckingly retarded levels" you'll need mods though.

Gothic 3 + CP 1.74 is worth a try if you can get it cheap.
It's good at presenting a big open world, but I repeatedly lose interest after playing for some days and it's rather long, so that happened already a couple of times. ;)
Have heard that form others, too.
Alternative balancing is making it more difficult, esp. if you are playing a mage.
If you haven't played G2+add-on yet, better play this.

NWN2. Try the OC, nothing special, but ok-ish. Certainly better than NWN1. If you don't like it, go for the expansions. Get MotB and SoZ. Former has great mood and story but epic levels (which you may like or not, I think it's problematic balance-wise). Latter is maybe as close to party-based PnP as you can currently get on pc. Also there are some decent mods out there.

I'll also second Divinity 2:DKS. Very nice (action) RPG.

Found Fallout NV to be quite good, too. Logical continuation of the (original) series. Less silliness than F2, if you had problems with that.

Edit: Forgot Drakensang. Esp. 2nd part, but 1st was ok, too.

mangsy

Educated
There are clearly some modern RPGs that are getting name-dropped by most everyone here, and I agree with most of the suggestions in this thread on some level. Even if newer games don't match the classics on average, there are still quite a few worth trying out.

The highlights of the more current crop (I'm not saying these are all equal in quality, just that I think they are some of the "best" newer releases):

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Fallout: New Vegas
Morrowind
Deus Ex 1 & 2
Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
Mass Effect
Gothic 1
Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga

Modernish RPGs that I think are worth playing at some point, but aren't as good as those in the above-list IMO:

NWN 2 OC (I've heard Storm of Zehir is good too--I haven't tried it)
The Witcher
Gothic 2 & 3
NWN: Hordes of the Underdark & Shadows of Undrentide
Arx Fatalis
The Dark Eye: Drakensang
Drakensang - The River of Time
Freedom Force

Some of the games I've mentioned are older than five years old. I just want to make sure you play them if you haven't already. Also, there is the less graphics-intensive modern indie market, but I assume you've already given a lot of those games a whirl.

For my own part, I'm going to try and check out Alpha Protocol sometime in the near future.

flushfire

Augur
omglaserzpewpew said:
I don't understand the fascination with NWN2; that game just bored me to tears. The story was cliche and the combat was uninspired. I think I played it for an hour, maybe two. I keep thinking about giving it a second chance, but I just can't bring myself to do it.
it is good in the way that it's essentially not just one game/experience. it's backed up by a huge (and still active altho im not sure how much nowadays) community. there's tony K's AI for improving combat. there are lots of modules to play. there are PWs. lots of mods for things that more than a few people dislike. there's MOTB if you didn't like the generic OC. IMO at the price it is now (Platinum/OC+MotB+SoZ is $20 on steam) for someone who hasn't played it yet it's a worthy purchase.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom