Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Keep on the Borderlands by Co8 (ToEE Mod) - V1 now out

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Did you ever play the PnP version of ToEE?

Were really that many bugbears in the module? I didn't play it but I read it and I mainly remember random patrols that you could run into, not much in the way of fixed encounters

Considering you start the module level 3 at most, with as many encounters as in the game the party wouldn't last very long...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Were really that many bugbears in the module?
Yes.

Making a straight adaptation was a huge mistake. :M

Regarding encounters, you were expected to have something like up to half-a-dozen NPCs helping you out and they wrote down how enemies in a dungeon floor/area would consolidate and fortify in an area should you leave to rest (the Co8 mod adapts this).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I found it p. hilarious how the in-game Hommlet was a near 1:1 rendition...Troika sure had their efforts in the right place.

I wonder if they did it all the way down to the equipment lists

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Really ? Is this so in the ToEE mod or just the PnP module ?
Keep On the Borderlands, yes. It's like a 32 page book.
ToEE has a level cap of 8 (so Troika raised it by 2) and it's a 128 page megamodule. Hommlet and the moathouse are 32 pages.

Oh, according to the FAQ they raised it to a soft cap of level 6, so that's somewhat better.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Crispy impressions aren't exactly winning me over.

Though Borderlands Keep had a level cap of 3 so how good could it possibly hope to be?
Honestly, Moathouse was the best part of ToEE. Well, maybe the most cosistantly fun part. So I would not mind low level adventuring.
That's because the game devolved into Bugbearmon: Gotta Kill 'Em All! soon after.

Did you ever play the PnP version of ToEE?
I haven't. I've played a single PnP Dungeons&Dragons module and it left me with scars for life.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Was thinking of giving this a shot, so installed my old TOEE discs (which I never really played past the tutorial way back when), upgraded to Co8 with KOTB, and tried fiddling with the game a bit but came across one HUGELY annoying interface bug. Using just the base Co8 mod, I find it difficult to center back to my party after scrolling to other parts of the map. I click on an avatar, and it creeps one tiny increment towards my party. Click again, another tiny increment. However, sometimes it will work, and it instantly snaps back to my party. Anyone found a fix for this? I never played the Co8 mod, so I don't know if this is a quirk of the Co8 mod or problems with Windows 7. I'd really like to checkout KOTB but can't get past this annoyance.

Incantatar

Cipher
The shitty mod told me i should play something else because i had no rogue in the party to use the stupid secret door search thing. I'm a fucking Wizard and have a spell for that.:decline:

Perkel

Arcane
Reminds me of TOEE neutral chaotic (?) start when i choose 3 people party with two fighters and a ranger.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I wanted to give my final impressions of this mod since I've played most of it and have come to some new and not so nearly rosey conclusions.

Don't bother with it.

At first, as I mentioned in my earlier post ITT, one gets a pretty warm-and-fuzzy from KotB. Quality seemed to be fairly high for a community-designed mod, there were some interesting and original adventure areas, and I was really looking forward to seeing the infamous Caves of Chaos for the first time in a computer adaptation. I've always been a sucker for that kind of thing. But shortly after experiencing the relative high from these positives, so many more negatives came into play. For example, while the courtyard and most of the areas of the Keep itself were drawn with relative care, the fortress portion is comedically bad. It looks almost as if a child drew the art for it, and it even looks incomplete in areas. Other areas in the wilderness one starts to uncover are almost as bad. Not only are their visuals quite uncertain but their design is sometimes equally baffling. One location in particular where some bandits are supposed to be hiding out tries to make some clever use of your new rope and climbing skills but instead devolves into a frustrating exercise in "where in the fuck am I suppose to click to climb?" You can't progress on the map at all until you locate the magic zones that allow your rope-trained character and his party to *poof!* somehow use the rope to teleport a few feet away. Dumb.

It gets worse. The writing continues on its one-way collision course with some kind of horrid teenage fanfic, the completely out-of-place references to modern concepts and phrases continually pummeling your precious D&D mood. There are also some severe balancing issues in the mod as well. One NPC the party can convince to join up possesses two matching bastard swords that she conveniently dual-wields with ease at merely 2nd level (!) and each is enchanted with a +4 dweomer. Wow. She can be a deadly Ginsu killing machine if one chooses to enter the goblin caves and turn her loose on the 40+ juicy little buggers in there like I did. She already somehow has Cleave, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Power Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense and Combat Reflexes, again, all of this at 2nd level. Wonder how they managed that.

Speaking of the Caves, they're disappointing as well. First of all, they're not actually complete (yet). The orc portions of them are as of now completely empty. Not as in the orcs are out hunting or just all gone to a rave somewhere downtown -- they're just devoid of content apparently by design until such time as Co8 decides to continue writing (poorly) more and fills them in. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure the orcs play a fairly important role in the original module and to leave their areas unpopulated while still calling this the Keep on the Borderlands is pretty shitty. We are not amused. The artwork here is also fairly poor and looks like it was just plain rushed. Co8 obviously blew their wad(s) on the beginning areas of the game then apparently just ran out of steam toward the end. Seven years for this, guys?

So while I am not regretful for downloading this and putting some time into it, I won't be finishing it. Lots and lots of bugs still (although a new patch has just been released that fixes a few of them but requires a completely fresh start of the game), major quality inconsistencies, extraordinarily immature and often just goofy writing style and the ultimate sin of not actually delivering on the goods of what should have been the money shot with the Caves themselves all force me to abort at this point. I suppose if all the artwork were gone over by someone who knew their way around a Wacom tablet a little more than how to turn it on and off and if the dialog were all emptied into the Recycle Bin then emptied again then emptied a third time just to be sure and then redone by someone who actually has an appreciation for what standards Greyhawk should represent then I might consider giving this another try some day.

Until then I wash my mind of its memories and replace them with the good ones from when I was a kid and wondered what it would actually have been like to play Keep on the Borderlands rather than just read it for the 100th time. I guess some things are better off just staying that way.

Last edited:
Weasel
Depressing stuff. Hope Crispy didn't retire to the study with a bottle of whisky and a duelling pistol afterwards.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is NOT a Must Play™ list, but *I* had a fucking blast playing through these modules. Play every module here: http://therealm.flopsyville.com/west.html (in the order suggested). This will get you to around level 10 - 12. You need to play them in the order suggested (and do not play any other modules not listed, mainly because of loot balance).

If you actually play through all those and want MOAR... then finish off with this: http://therealm.flopsyville.com/dmnd.html

Keep in mind the above lists only lists the games name (I really wish he would put a direct link to download the file), you then can search for the games name and download the modules here: http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom