Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
https://lofigames.com

https://af.gog.com/game/kenshi?as=1649904300

Kenshi, an ambitious indie game, trying to be M&B except better in every way, has reached the glorious alpha-status of version 0.1 and Chris, the dev, has made it public for bugcrunching and stuff.

http://www.lofigames.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=63

Needless to say but I'll warn folks anyway, the "game" is in very, very raw state. Don't expect anything else except a little sandbox to play with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome, and kind of like a single-player version of what Darkfall was supposed to be.

I'll give it a try. But I'll echo the skepticism.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
In development game read about onRPS.

Exciting:
the Dev said:
At the start of the game, just about every NPC and enemy in the game is stronger than you. Your starting strength is that of a weak civilian. You have one character and a rusty sword and no money.
The game balance I would like to aim for, in terms of levelling, would be something similar to Gothic 2, if you've ever played it. There is no level-scaling in kenshi, as it goes against my tenets as a game developer and ruins an RPG. So everything and everybody in the whole world is at a fixed level and does not change as your own characters level up. The player must avoid the stronger enemies until he is ready to take them on. This can be done by being careful not to make certain enemies in the first place, and avoiding the most dangerous map areas. Likewise when you are stronger and find things are getting easy, you can always find something more dangerous to do.
the Dev said:
You are not the chosen one. You're not great and powerful. You don't have more 'hitpoints' than everyone else. You are not the center of the universe, and you are not special.

Freeform gameplay in a seamless game world stretching over 400 square kilometers. The game will never seek to limit you or restrict your personal play style.

Variation and possibilities of gameplay. Be good, be evil, be a business man, be a thief, live in a town, live in the desert, join the army, fight the army, travel alone, travel in hordes, build a fortress, raze a city.

Dynamic, ever changing world. Support or hinder whoever you wish, or keep to yourself, the world won't stop moving. This is not just a "game", you are living and surviving in a simulated world.

Original game world. There are no fantasy-knock-off cliches. No magic.

Less exciting:

the Dev said:
Unique real time combat system, based on motion capture and developed by an actual martial artist and sword practitioner. Despite being an RPG, combat is action-game-grade and fast paced. No longer do characters stand there like idiots taking turns to hit each other. There are no "dice rolls", game mechanics are not based on archaic board game rules.

Combat is real-time and is based on swords and bows, action beat-em up style but with RPG stats influencing the outcome. No Magic. No fantasy cliches. Think of a combination of X-Com Apocalypse and Oblivion.

Still pretty excited about the potential. Hope I'm not adding to the vapourware list.

kaizoku

Arcane
At first I was :bounce: :yeah: :bro:

But then I :rage: :x

On his page:
Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG

But then fucker says that!
Unique real time combat system, based on motion capture and developed by an actual martial artist and sword practitioner. Despite being an RPG, combat is action-game-grade and fast paced. No longer do characters stand there like idiots taking turns to hit each other. There are no "dice rolls", game mechanics are not based on archaic board game rules.

Combat is real-time and is based on swords and bows, action beat-em up style but with RPG stats influencing the outcome. No Magic. No fantasy cliches. Think of a combination of X-Com Apocalypse and Oblivion.

It will suck big time.

spectre

Arcane
No longer do characters stand there like idiots taking turns to hit each other. There are no "dice rolls", game mechanics are not based on archaic board game rules.
It is thanks to idiots like this we cannot have nice things no more.
Hell, why am I bothering with this....

This is kinda ironic, cause we actually see idiots taking their sweet time, waiting to be smaked, in the video.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
No longer do characters stand there like idiots taking turns to hit each other. There are no "dice rolls", game mechanics are not based on archaic board game rules.

beBnv.jpg

Duckard

Augur
Combination of X-COM and Oblivion pretty much covers the entire spectrum. Not to mention that the whole "strategic combat that plays like an action game" sounds a lot like DA2.

No longer do characters stand there like idiots taking turns to hit each other.

:roll:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
:(

I'd still put up with outright shitty combat if it delivered on the variety of role-playing options and the dynamic world it promises. Besides, I eventually learned to love Gothic II after bitching for days about it.

He may be making an ARPG, but he pays more heed to my rules for a good RPG than most modern RPGs I encounter.

I also figure it's not too late to threaten his children to get him to change to TBC à la JA2 or, you know, real X-COM.

Micmu

Magister
Why call it "kenshi"? It just makes it sound like some standard jap/weeaboo crap.
Hope I'm not adding to the vapourware list.
It is more practical to add it right now because chances for you having to remove it from that list are ~ 1:1000000

Not that anyone would miss yet another A"RPG". Fuck indies like that.

kaizoku

Arcane
Here is the obvious DC version:

p62lf.jpg

Skittles said:
I also figure it's not too late to threaten his children to get him to change to TBC à la JA2 or, you know, real X-COM.
This ^
At the very least make it real time with pause.

The worse part is that he says its squad based, but wants it real time. All the possible strategy that the game could have basically dies.
He also mentions beat-em-up! I find it funny he goes with all that talk one normal guy with no super powers, but them aims for a beat-em-up action game. wtf!

I'll keep my hopes really low so that it doesn't make me cry latter.

micmu said:
Why call it "kenshi"? It just makes it sound like some standard jap/weeaboo crap.
If you had read the message and look at the screens you would have realized that the setting is not AMARICANE!!! :patriot:
Unique real time combat system, based on motion capture and developed by an actual martial artist and sword practitioner.
It's common knowledge that China and Japan have a long history of martial arts.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Give him a copy of ToEE and see if he'll succeed by having his characters stand there like idiots.

Johannes

Arcane
Could be good. Just hope the early game grinding isn't as boring as in Gothic 2.

And yeah wtf is that sword, the concept is crap and it's even worse implementation, why would you show off a glitchy piece of shit like that in a promo video?

Marobug

This shows a lot of potential. A bit weird to play since there's no sound at all but it's rather fun to explore and loot corpses. Also the idea of opening your own shops and building your own cities is awesome.

Terpsichore

Arcane
Katanas?

Might as well add butter knives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom